By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GI: The Failure of the 3DS Isn't a Boon to Sony, It's a Portent of Disaster

3DS had 3 big problems at launch: high price, worries about 3D/doesn`t work all that well when moving frequently (does put people away) and lack of games.
The high price has been taken care of;
3D, unless Nintendo upgrades the technology, will probably keep people away over fears of hurting their eyes and provide a good experience;
Games of qauality are still scarce. They are coming, but they are not still here.
3DS lack of DS success has probably more to do with lack of casual software then anything else.

I think Vita will be a successful platform and mobile games won`t stop it nor DS. In the end, it`s all about the software.
Vita and 3DS will have games that people want and that they won`t find anywhere else. More, having iOS like software maybe be a good thing for Vita, but probably will be overlooked if not publicized correctly, seeing as it`s not what people "see" when they look at Vita.

I still find it hard to believe the iOS games will make handhelds or home consoles go away. Just to imagine how much an entire industry would suffer because of that... how many would survive if this market collapses? They just aren`t ready to change and adapt.

Around the Network
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
wht ever!

i'm always of the notion that anything can happen but not 1 failure breading the other. if they both fail then they fail'd for a reason not being the cause of the other, but because of its own flaws

This.

Sony and Nintendo have different markets that will be hard for the other to touch. When the PSP came on to the scene it was the biggest and toughest competition that Nintendo ever had, yet the DS, not only out sold its predecessors it was Nintendo's best selling console. Now, let's look at it the other way around. Nintendo crushed its competition, but the PSP out sold all past competitors who challenged Nintendo combined.

Shows a tremendous ignorance of the workings of this system. Overestimating iOS is par for the course, but the increasingly false myth of a poor lineup for the 3DS is also something that needs to be crushed

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I simply don't see people using ipods or ipads as overtaking the dedicated handheld department. People only play ipods/pads for short periods of times when they have nothing else to do. People play psps/ds because they feel like experiencing some moderately deep gameplay.

Well, at least that's how I see it. Only time will tell though.

3DS being underrated has been going on around these forums for some time now. Nothing interesting here either =_=. Vita will do fine if their cards are played right.

Around the Network

I think the industry is over-estimating the failure of the 3DS and that will become evident this holiday season. Two of its major handicaps were that it was priced higher than the market was willing to pay (which has been taken care of) and that it had launch window software woes (which soon will be taken care of).

Level1Death said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
wht ever!

i'm always of the notion that anything can happen but not 1 failure breading the other. if they both fail then they fail'd for a reason not being the cause of the other, but because of its own flaws

This.

Sony and Nintendo have different markets that will be hard for the other to touch. When the PSP came on to the scene it was the biggest and toughest competition that Nintendo ever had, yet the DS, not only out sold its predecessors it was Nintendo's best selling console. Now, let's look at it the other way around. Nintendo crushed its competition, but the PSP out sold all past competitors who challenged Nintendo combined.

and this