By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo still has a way to go with the casuals.

Nintendo is going to put ads everywhere for this game.

Around the Network
fkusumot said:
ferret1603 said:
My fiance (a casual Wii player) read "Wii Fit" over my shoulder and asked me what it is. He'd never heard of it. No wonder it hasn't been selling as well as it could have in Japan. Hopefully when they release it over here there'll be plenty of TV advertising to make casual gamers aware of it.

So your fiance isn't a woman, I'm guessing. Is he over 36 years old? Does he live in England? Are you old enough to get married? All these questions and more are pieces of critical information needed to correctly assess the situation, re: Why not targetting 18-36 year old males in England is having such a drastic effect on Wii Fit sales in Japan.

I think that's what Ivader was trying to say. He'll correct me if I'm wrong.

No, yes, yes and yes :-p

I was merely pointing out that if the advertising in Japan is anything like in the UK (ie non existant thus far) then it's unsurprising it didn't sell as well as I was expecting. According to that Go Nintendo article and the VG Chartz figures it didn't sell out the first week's shipment of 300,000 so the people saying it was a sell out are incorrect.

At no point have I said it's a flop, I'm sure it'll go on to be a multi million seller, I'm just surprised Nintendo hasn't advertised it well enough for it to sell out its stock every week especially as it was released in the run up to Christmas when the Wii itself can't stay on the shelves. I'm sure that if it had adequate advertising then it would have sold out every week so hopefully they'll advertise it properly when it gets over here.

ferret1603 said:
fkusumot said:
ferret1603 said:
My fiance (a casual Wii player) read "Wii Fit" over my shoulder and asked me what it is. He'd never heard of it. No wonder it hasn't been selling as well as it could have in Japan. Hopefully when they release it over here there'll be plenty of TV advertising to make casual gamers aware of it.

So your fiance isn't a woman, I'm guessing. Is he over 36 years old? Does he live in England? Are you old enough to get married? All these questions and more are pieces of critical information needed to correctly assess the situation, re: Why not targetting 18-36 year old males in England is having such a drastic effect on Wii Fit sales in Japan.

I think that's what Ivader was trying to say. He'll correct me if I'm wrong.

No, yes, yes and yes :-p

I was merely pointing out that if the advertising in Japan is anything like in the UK (ie non existant thus far) then it's unsurprising it didn't sell as well as I was expecting. According to that Go Nintendo article and the VG Chartz figures it didn't sell out the first week's shipment of 300,000 so the people saying it was a sell out are incorrect.

At no point have I said it's a flop, I'm sure it'll go on to be a multi million seller, I'm just surprised Nintendo hasn't advertised it well enough for it to sell out its stock every week especially as it was released in the run up to Christmas when the Wii itself can't stay on the shelves. I'm sure that if it had adequate advertising then it would have sold out every week so hopefully they'll advertise it properly when it gets over here.

You seem to be assuming a hyped Wii game always sells out in Japan. It doesn't work that way. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

ferret1603 said:

Where have you been its been sold out constantly, you can't sell what you don't have

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Nintendo is doing a bunch of cheap advertising. Like for instance giving away Wii's to Senor Centers (They start playing Wii- Sports Bowling and forming tournaments someone calls the news and its part of a Fluff -piece); or Nintendo gives it to hospitals ( Physical therapist use it, and report there success to the media and the Wii is mentioned). Nintendo paid for a study to see what the effect of playing Brain Training on Seniors and studies showed that it actually helped with memory loss.

Around the Network
ferret1603 said:
I just assumed it would clear 500,000 in its first week. I guess I had unrealistic expectations

Your expectations werent unrealistic, you just are missing the fact that if Nintendo ships Wii Fit with 230,000 units in the first week, and then sells, 230,000 units. Thats huge, and better for them if they had shipped 1 million units  and sold 500,000.

ferret1603 said:
I just assumed it would clear 500,000 in its first week. I guess I had unrealistic expectations

Did you even think to check if Nintendo SHIPPED that many? You clearly didn't, thus this whole thread is based on you PISS-POOR research. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs