By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - 2nd US Presidential Debate - Live Right Now (CNN)

Overall unimpressive. Hermain Cain has come out as a total crony capitalist turd, and most others are underwhelming, IMO.

http://www.cnn.com/

Ron Paul is doing the best so far, but that is too easy given the field. Michelle Bachmann is also vastly underwhelming, which is sad.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

Sorry to spoil your fun, but I am voting Obama.

chocoloco said:

Thats fine. I am all for driving the car off the cliff vs. a slow death that most candidates are offering.

mrstickball said:
chocoloco said:

Thats fine. I am all for driving the car off the cliff vs. a slow death that most candidates are offering.

A shame you have such a dire view of the future no matter who is in charge. I can't really blame you though considering the government works as a  dichotomy and than gets nothing done.

chocoloco said:
mrstickball said:
chocoloco said:

A shame you have such a dire view of the future no matter who is in charge. I can't really blame you though considering the government works as a  dichotomy and than gets nothing done.

I have that view because, in my short time of being a voter (2 presidential elections now - 04 and 08), that it is a near impossibility that we will elect anyone that can solve the problems that our nation faces in the economic and fiscal realms.

Both Bush and Obama have taken great strides in destroying any modicum of small government which serves as a hedge to crony capitalism, and massive deficit spending. I am doubtful that Obama nor most major GOP opponents will fix the problem.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
chocoloco said:
mrstickball said:
chocoloco said:

I have that view because, in my short time of being a voter (2 presidential elections now - 04 and 08), that it is a near impossibility that we will elect anyone that can solve the problems that our nation faces in the economic and fiscal realms.

Both Bush and Obama have taken great strides in destroying any modicum of small government which serves as a hedge to crony capitalism, and massive deficit spending. I am doubtful that Obama nor most major GOP opponents will fix the problem.

You've only voted twice?  Is that apathy or age?

I'd always assumed you were older cause you own rental properties and such. (At least, I think you do.)

mrstickball said:

Overall unimpressive. Hermain Cain has come out as a total crony capitalist turd, and most others are underwhelming, IMO.

http://www.cnn.com/

Ron Paul is doing the best so far, but that is too easy given the field. Michelle Bachmann is also vastly underwhelming, which is sad.

Well... Hermain Cain also apparently has said any Muslim who applies for a job with him has to take a loyalty pledge and that he wouldn't nominate one to any important position in government.

I haven't seen the exact quote yet so maybe he's being misrepresented but that's a hell of a specific thing to misrepresent somone on.

Its sad when a coutry has roughly a 1.3 Trillion $ deficit. last numbers I saw U.S. Government Revenue is around 2.16 Trillion $, but Expenses are around 3.45 $ Trillion. This is bascially like saying...
"From my monthly income I make $2,100, but in terms of my bill sand purchases Im spending $3,400." Any normal person would be in a huge mess with this kind of budget. Would you live your life like that?

There is NO WAY the government can Tax the difference out of the people. The figures and tables do not add up. Even if you were to raise the top tax bracket from 35% to 70%, and even raised all taxes across the board by at least 10% you would not make up the difference. Not only would the revenues fall short, but you would also spiral our economy into a very deep depression, because the rich will hot create jobs and will even cut jobs to keep things as stable as possible. People would spend less money, because they have less money in their pockets. No my friends raising taxes will not solve this huge deficit gap. We must come to grips that our government has a huge spending problem. These are the totals of what the U.S. spent in 2010: Medicare and Medicade $793 Billion, Social Security $701 Billion, Defense $689 Billion, Discretionary Spending $660 Billion, Other Mandatory $412 Billion, and Net Interest on debt $197 Billion. These numbers are absurd. Something HAS TO BE DONE, or its going to get much worse.

Real cuts have to take place, because we cannot sustain this even with increased taxes which would just slow our economy down even further. We are becoming more and more dependant on entitlement programs. I personally dont think that is what Governments role is. Its not what most of the founders of this country believed in. I dont think you can really just look at this and say, "Ok, then lets just cut Medicare/medicade and Social security from the picture." I think our country has gotten so intertwinned with those programs that doing that would crumble and destroy many American lives. I think there initially needs to be some painful cuts in some of these programs, but also keeping them sustainable. I think we need to look at alternatives, and seriously fixing this.

We have two options. Either continue down this road and pile on debt and deficits farther than can ever be sustained, or we begin to make real painful cuts in a responsible manner. Too many people think that the United States is an endless bank with all the money any country could need. Far be it from the truth that we think ourselves in that regard. The United States is on a path of toppling over on its face if changes are not made. I know some countries are cheering for that, because they are tired of seeing the United States so prosperous. Well, over the past couple of decades we have been hiding our problems by spending money we dont have. This is serious.

Kasz216 said:
mrstickball said:
chocoloco said:
mrstickball said:
chocoloco said:

You've only voted twice?  Is that apathy or age?

I'd always assumed you were older cause you own rental properties and such. (At least, I think you do.)

Age. I'm 25 years old, so my very first election I was able to vote in was GWB-Kerry in 2004. I bought my rental properties when I was 21, so I guess to some I may be ahead of the curve (actually looking to buy a few more this year given how bad the economy is).

Allfreedom99 said:
Its sad when a coutry has roughly a 1.3 Trillion $ deficit. last numbers I saw U.S. Government Revenue is around 2.16 Trillion $, but Expenses are around 3.45 $ Trillion. This is bascially like saying...
"From my monthly income I make $2,100, but in terms of my bill sand purchases Im spending $3,400." Any normal person would be in a huge mess with this kind of budget. Would you live your life like that?

There is NO WAY the government can Tax the difference out of the people. The figures and tables do not add up. Even if you were to raise the top tax bracket from 35% to 70%, and even raised all taxes across the board by at least 10% you would not make up the difference. Not only would the revenues fall short, but you would also spiral our economy into a very deep depression, because the rich will hot create jobs and will even cut jobs to keep things as stable as possible. People would spend less money, because they have less money in their pockets. No my friends raising taxes will not solve this huge deficit gap. We must come to grips that our government has a huge spending problem. These are the totals of what the U.S. spent in 2010: Medicare and Medicade $793 Billion, Social Security $701 Billion, Defense $689 Billion, Discretionary Spending $660 Billion, Other Mandatory $412 Billion, and Net Interest on debt $197 Billion. These numbers are absurd. Something HAS TO BE DONE, or its going to get much worse.

Real cuts have to take place, because we cannot sustain this even with increased taxes which would just slow our economy down even further. We are becoming more and more dependant on entitlement programs. I personally dont think that is what Governments role is. Its not what most of the founders of this country believed in. I dont think you can really just look at this and say, "Ok, then lets just cut Medicare/medicade and Social security from the picture." I think our country has gotten so intertwinned with those programs that doing that would crumble and destroy many American lives. I think there initially needs to be some painful cuts in some of these programs, but also keeping them sustainable. I think we need to look at alternatives, and seriously fixing this.

We have two options. Either continue down this road and pile on debt and deficits farther than can ever be sustained, or we begin to make real painful cuts in a responsible manner. Too many people think that the United States is an endless bank with all the money any country could need. Far be it from the truth that we think ourselves in that regard. The United States is on a path of toppling over on its face if changes are not made. I know some countries are cheering for that, because they are tired of seeing the United States so prosperous. Well, over the past couple of decades we have been hiding our problems by spending money we dont have. This is serious.

agreed. for this administartion i can blame the republicans for there lack of action to work with the president even in some cases saying there is no compromise but this was never there fault alone.

with our current system and officials i'm not sure anything will ever get done. everybody is in it for them selves behind closed doors and talk like snake with 2 tounge.

this dream that was supposedly made for the U.S. was an unattainable dream from day one with man wanting to prosper while look in the mirror saying how can i better myself above all others and keep it at all cost, i beleive thats wht we see not just in the U.S. but the world around.

i have my own opinion of each party, but i'm not sure how much if anything will can be done or change if someone was actualy went into congress and made an effort against all others to make a change(although thats wht i fill Obama started out doing before being derailed by the many officials against him buy thats my opinion and can't be stated as fact)but with the many against him/her how can change be made.

a nation that came from no where to dominate with an ambition to change the world only destroy it self!