By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - I need Computer help!

This might be a good time to tell you that I am clueless and inept at searching for things on the net.

I need the following drivers for Windows XP

USB 2.0 Wireless Network Adapter

Multimedia Audio Controller

Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller

Ethernet Controller

SM Bus Controller

I downloaded a driver detective to find them for me but it requires $30 to use so I thought I'd come here for help from my peers. Any advice (preferably helpful) would be greatly appreciated.

Around the Network
Onimusha12 said:

This might be a good time to tell you that I am clueless and inept at searching for things on the net.

I need the following drivers for Windows XP

USB 2.0 Wireless Network Adapter

Multimedia Audio Controller

Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller

Ethernet Controller

SM Bus Controller

I downloaded a driver detective to find them for me but it requires $30 to use so I thought I'd come here for help from my peers. Any advice (preferably helpful) would be greatly appreciated.

Is all this hardware that came on your PC when it was new? If so you should have these drivers on the restore disk..

where in the world do doo dooo pc world

it not who i am but what i do that defines me. you'll never walk alone you'll never walk alone walk on walk on.

1. Find out the make and model of each of the listed devices
  2. Go to Google
  3. Type in the device name in quotes and then driver.  For example, "Lynksis wireless router" WRT54G drivers

its a home made computer I bought from a friend a long time ago and I had to replace the hard drive with the OS on it.

Around the Network

Google hasn't helped me really. I really have no clue what devices those required drivers go to anyway.

Onimusha12 said:
its a home made computer I bought from a friend a long time ago and I had to replace the hard drive with the OS on it.

Ahh then you need to find the model #/name of each item and who made it and search them individually. You might be able to find it by going into control pannel and going into device manager just be sure to NOT delete anything. Edit: After you have it all sorted out though I highly recommend you back everything up onto a disk so you can restore it if you need too.

can't i just use generic drivers?

Those look like motherboard drivers. (Unless you have some PCI or whatnot cards in there)

Try the motherboard manufacturer's website.

I don't have a "device manager" in control panel