By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which of the three will be first out of the gate next gen?

This gen Microsoft released the 360 early (four years after the original Xbox) in order to try and build up a first year lead over Sony (they were ignoring Nintendo at the time), but with the Wii having taken control of the market will Sony or Microsoft try to launch their next console early or will they stick with a 5-6 year cycle?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

I think they'll all go closer to 10 years as MS & Sony will need a lot of time to recover all the $$$$ they've lost out the gate this generation.
I do not think Nintendo will come out with a HD-Wii in 2-3 years either. HD-TV owners are buying the Wii anyway, so why bother?

Plus all 3 have gone on record saying they don't want to start a new generation in 4-5 years. 3rd parties would rather no one did either as transistion periods hurt everyone.

That said, eventually their will be one. Could go in any direction, including being started by a new competitor to the field. Nintendo would be best positioned to introduce one earliest.

MS definitely. Going to try and pull a Sega on this one.

Gamerace said:
I think they'll all go closer to 10 years as MS & Sony will need a lot of time to recover all the $$$$ they've lost out the gate this generation.
I do not think Nintendo will come out with a HD-Wii in 2-3 years either. HD-TV owners are buying the Wii anyway, so why bother?

Plus all 3 have gone on record saying they don't want to start a new generation in 4-5 years. 3rd parties would rather no one did either as transistion periods hurt everyone.

That said, eventually their will be one. Could go in any direction, including being started by a new competitor to the field. Nintendo would be best positioned to introduce one earliest.

I don't believe that 10 year garbage from Sony or MS, both of them aren't going to stick with consoles that are going to top out around 30 million in WW sales one will launch in 5 years at most

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Playstation revision 4 will be released first in less than five years from a desire to reinvent the Sony console line. Nintendo and Microsoft will still be profiting then and have little incentive for a risky refresh.

And no HD Wii, ever. The Wii brand will be dropped next generation, I assure you.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

Around the Network

I see Nintendo, making the move last. Man do I miss Gunpei.

And I see Sony making the move first. Especially if Blu-Ray does not win the HD format war.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

No way is Sony going to be the first company, their console was built for the future, which is one of their problems too.

Game_boy said:
Playstation revision 4 will be released first in less than five years from a desire to reinvent the Sony console line. Nintendo and Microsoft will still be profiting then and have little incentive for a risky refresh.

And no HD Wii, ever. The Wii brand will be dropped next generation, I assure you.

I predict Uss will be the name of the next Nintendo console, no but seriously I agree it'll be someting else, but still mass market friendly

Aj_habfan said:
No way is Sony going to be the first company, their console was built for the future, which is one of their problems too.

Profits are needed for the future ;)

Game_boy said:

I agree with the Wii part.  REally right now the brand being build up isn't Wii.  It's Nintendo.  So that's a good thing.  Just like wiht the Gameboy everyone though the gameboy was the top brand but it really turned out that it was the Nintendo part, as DS has not faltered.