By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do games cost so much in Europe?

Hey anyone know the answer to this?

I live in Europe, and here your typical Wii-game will cost you about 50 Euros. That's an okay price if you ask me (at least for good games.. :p), as I remember paying 60 Euros for GameCube games.

But still, over in the USA, they cost only 50 DOLLARS. Which is about 35 Euros! The other way around, 50 Euros is about 70 Dollars! That's quite a descrepancy! Where's this coming from? Sure there's exchange rates and all, but surely that wouldn't account for so much?

As for the console itself, if they were to sell it in the USA for the same price they do in Europe, a quick calculation puts the price for a Wii at 360 (!) Euros! Or about 175 (!!) Euros the other way around. 

I dunno about Xbox360 and PS3, as I only own a Wii, but I reckon they might be seeing the same situation.

Any thoughts on this? 

2008 Predictions:

Wii: 44 Million
Xbox360: 25 Million
PS3: 22 Million

DS: 90 Million
PSP: 37 Million
Around the Network

that is also true for cars, electronics and almost every good you can think of... our salaries are lower than US and yet we we have to pay more for the same things...honestly i don't know why

2008 year end sales (made in January 2008):

44.2 M 27.1 M 20.8 M

well it is the exchange rate i think..

well many years ago games were here in the netherlands about 130 gulden ( what is about 60 euro's )
so im glad they did not get anymore expensive

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

why is the euro so expensive compared to the dollar?

during gamecube tims, euro was quite wek (in the beginning) and hence the higher price.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Yeah well, like I said, exchange rates, okay.. but they can't account for THAT much? Can they?

And heh, yeah, I'm Dutch too and I remember those times.. in the beginning of the N64's life games sold for 120 guilders, then when OOT came out it was raised to like 140, and I remember paying 180 guilders for Conker's Bad Fur Day.. :p Ah, good times.

2008 Predictions:

Wii: 44 Million
Xbox360: 25 Million
PS3: 22 Million

DS: 90 Million
PSP: 37 Million
Around the Network

there are varous reasons:

1.) US prices always are without VAT (in the Netherlands for instance you have 19% VAT or whatever it's called - that's already included into your prices) - americans have to pay the VAT at the counter though (but it's considerably lower than ower european VATs)

2.) the EU demands a high duty for technical devices

3.) most prices were made with an exchangerate of 1.3$ : 1€ in mind and won't be adjusted by daily fluctuations of exchange rates .. although the € has been quite strong for a while now

CB said:
Yeah well, like I said, exchange rates, okay.. but they can't account for THAT much? Can they?

And heh, yeah, I'm Dutch too and I remember those times.. in the beginning of the N64's life games sold for 120 guilders, then when OOT came out it was raised to like 140, and I remember paying 180 guilders for Conker's Bad Fur Day.. :p Ah, good times.

i remember buying command & conquer of the n64 130 gulden, just like goldeneye :)

anyway  1 euro was at start worth 1,13 dollar or so?

now it is almost worth 1,50 dollar

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

What about pounds? Games cost £40 - that's over $80!

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

Maybe taxes.

Actually, when the Euro was still knew, there was a time when the dollar was worth slightly more than the Euro.

Currently playing: Civ 6