By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Several NPG SKUs at launch, only one with 3G

I'm....starting to get even more worried now because of that statement.

Around the Network
Cunning_Linguist said:

This is why Sony pisses me off sometimes. Why not put 3g in all sku's? Developers won't take advantage of features only available to a portion of the potential userbase.

As long as wi-fi is present, it doesn't bother me at all,tbh.

the lack of doom and gloom in the OP astonishes me...didn't you get the memo?

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

That's great news, imo, I'll be getting the version without 3G since it should be cheaper. However, I just saw a post at AndrianSang saying all NGP will have 3G:

"Regarding 3G, the site was told that there's currently no plan to release a model without 3G. All models will include 3G support."

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/27/ngp_3g/

Who's right? Could this case of all NGP having 3G only for Japan?

with these amazing specs that this npg has how can it only have 3G.  I fee like we will be experiencing insane lage using only 3G.  I know 4G isn't that wide spread yet, but woudl think they would have 4G where available and 3G where not

Around the Network
irstupid said:

with these amazing specs that this npg has how can it only have 3G.  I fee like we will be experiencing insane lage using only 3G.  I know 4G isn't that wide spread yet, but woudl think they would have 4G where available and 3G where not

I've heard 4G is expensive. And yeah it's not really widespread enough unlike 3G. So it won't be very cost-efficient at all if they include 4G to the hardware.

Zlejedi said:

Good that increases chances of cheap $300 SKU

I always figured we'd see a $299 "core pack" right away, like with PSP1's $199 equivalent that was introduced about a year after launch.

My guess is 3 SKUs, a $299 "core pack", a $349 "value pack" that throws in some extras (8GB MS, heaphones, charge cradle, maybe a game, etc)  and a $399 "pro pack" with the value pack extras plus 3G compatibility.  Eventually I think they'll build 3G into all units though, like they did with WiFi on PS3.

Cunning_Linguist said:

This is why Sony pisses me off sometimes. Why not put 3g in all sku's? Developers won't take advantage of features only available to a portion of the potential userbase.

3G is just a network interface. developers don't care if the gamer has 3G or not. they can just assume every NGP has network connectivity.

kafar said:
Cunning_Linguist said:

3G is just a network interface. developers don't care if the gamer has 3G or not. they can just assume every NGP has network connectivity.

Pretty much.  It's like arguing not all 360 devs will use the HDD due to the Core/Arcade SKUs, or not all PS3 devs will use network support due to the 40GB lacking WiFi.

That said, going off Sony's comments, it does sound like the 3G options will be more limited than the regular online infrastructure (the term "asynchronous multiplayer" has been thrown out).

jarrod said:
kafar said:
Cunning_Linguist said:

Pretty much.  It's like arguing not all 360 devs will use the HDD due to the Core/Arcade SKUs, or not all PS3 devs will use network support due to the 40GB lacking WiFi.

That said, going off Sony's comments, it does sound like the 3G options will be more limited than the regular online infrastructure (the term "asynchronous multiplayer" has been thrown out).

the location-based applications will be limited, which, I think, is the only advantage 3g offers over wifi (to some extend, as Sony can know which city you live by ip address too). The application is cool. but if 3G has a monthly cost, i won't bother getting it.

Edit: unless i can use NGP as a phone.... that is really cool then.

Edit2: oops. sry, i didn't read your post carefully. yes. it seems 3G has it's limitation for online play. i bet it's caused by the limited bandwidth between 3g privider and PSN. it will be extremely cool if we can play online everywhere though