By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gamasutra's Top 5 Developers of 2007

Gamasutra:

This time, we give careful consideration to the game developers who have done the most to advance the art and science of gaming worldwide in 2007. This chart may have some overlap with the 'best games' chart coming later this week, of course.

But we're picking top developers for their attention to detail, grit, and willingness to push the envelope, not necessarily simply on the finished product's overall quality - though all of this year's Top 5 Developers have worked on spectacular titles.

The developers picked are the editor's choice, and for every one settled on, there are many others - from Infinity Ward through Insomniac to Nintendo EAD Tokyo and Naughty Dog - that we also greatly appreciate. Here's our line-up:

5. BioWare (Mass Effect)

4. Bungie (Halo 3)

3. 2K Boston/Australia (BioShock)

2. Harmonix (Rock Band/Phase)

1. Valve (Orange Box)

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Around the Network

Wow, so no mention of Nintendo for Galaxy or the guys behind Uncharted, ect. So I was walking down the street and some guy looked down and said wow that's a lot of BULLSHIT right in front of me. I feel his pain.

Ouch Nintendo made the best rated game in a couple generations and didn't even make the list.

Every "best of 2007" list that has anything Rock Band on them fails big time. And I bet the PS guys on this site don't agree with Valve being #1 hehe.

It's pretty clear that Nintendo was not included for not "pushing the envelope," as it clearly is stated. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:

It's pretty clear that Nintendo was not included for not "pushing the envelope," as it clearly is stated. 

Right, because System Shock 2.5 and Halo: Polished really pushed the envelope while a game masterfully incoporating gravity in a completely fresh and inovative manner didn't push it at all.  Could you explain that logic to me?

What a lame list, no offence

fazz said:

And I bet the PS guys on this site don't agree with Valve being #1 hehe.

Valve didn't do the PS3 Orange Box hehe.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

sinha said:

fazz said:

And I bet the PS guys on this site don't agree with Valve being #1 hehe.

Valve didn't do the PS3 Orange Box hehe.

Yup, that's what I mean :P 

Bodhesatva said:

I'd consider making one of the best rated games ever pushing the envelop in some way or another. From what i've seen it seems to push the envelop in regards to the wii in a lot of ways... unless they want to argue you can't push the envelope on the Wii because the 360 and PS3 have better graphics.