By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Chibi Import Reviews: Tales of Grace F

Welcome to my second review! (and sorry for it being a little delayed lol :P)

My second review will as the title very subtly suggests be able Tales of Grace F. One of those rare occasions when a game is ported from 1 console to another and ends up being "better" than it was on its first home. So let the review BEGIN!

Tales of Grace F

A game that was released on the wii many moons ago now available for the PS3. but the question is, was the rather long wait worth it?

Gameplay - 

Tales of Grace f's gameplay is nothing that is going to re invent the jrpg genre. In fact its incredibly simaler to previous games in the famous jrpg series. The battle system you will be using in the game "Style Shift Linear Motion Battle System" (no that isnt a joke it is that long). the basic structure of the gameplay is simple. You have 2 choices of attack style. type A and type B style (yep thats how inventive they are). Style A is just your normal jrpg move system of pre determined attacks that you simply choice from and use. And theres the b style which gives you more freedom over how your attacks pan out. Though the battle system used in grace takes no shame is taking things from previous games in the series, it puts the pieces together so perfectly you really wont care.

During battles you also have the ability to escentualy side step in any direction. This allows you to dodge in coming attacks as well and position yourself to attack your enemies yourself. the is also a "free run" ability incorporated into the battles. Overall the gameplay is very well thought pout and as smooth as it gets. I would dare say this is the best tales battle system yet. Better than my personal favourite tales game destiny? Very maybe. This is not to say the gameplay goes without problems. Though thr battle system is beautifully crafted the same cannot be said for exploration. When running around towns and forests the controls feel slightly clumsy at points detracting away from the smooth flow of character models as they run from one destination to another.

Music - 

Tales of Grace F's music is far from bad. However it fails to immerse me in the game the way Final fantasy XIII and Xenoblade managed to do with almost 100% of the time. Ignoring this you will often find yourself humming along to the battle tunes as you fight the various monsters through out the game. that pretty much describes ToGf's music. It doesn't make you feel like a part of the world your playing, it simply attracts you to continue playing.

Graphics - 

This is probably one of the main aspects the ps3 version of the game as over the original wii version. the graphics are simply stunning. No it isnt a polygon beats like many massive high budget games but the art style is of an incredibly high quality. it almost looks like a 3d anime film which is not by any stretch of the imagination an easy feat. The textures keep to a fairly simple level though out the game which is actually complimented by now being in 720p HD through the ps3. It may be a fairly old games in regards to the wii but dont take this games graphics lightly. if your someone who is naturally attracted to shonen anime art styles you will absolutely adore the graphics of this game. You will of course notice the occasional texture hick up here and there and sometimes the lack of polygons can be a bit of a downer but it doesn't do much to reduce the fantastic style the game proudly shows off.

Story - *Spoilers...kinda...um...dunno :P*

The story takes place on a planet called Efinea. On this world there are 3 kingdoms that are basically in constant battle to gain dominating control of the planet. The story is nothig more than you would expect from a jrpg with a couple of very well thought out plot points which on some occasions completely change the setting for the story. The charecter youn will be playing the game as for the main is the unfortunately named Asbel Lhant. due to "certain events" that take place prior to the main plot of the story Abel becomes fixated on becoming a knight. however when is father dies he has to give up that dream and replace him as a lordy person or something a other (cant remember exactly what iot was lol). That pretty much sums up the basic plot line. Though its story is very simple in appearance it copy's xenoblade (not quite as well) in the sense that the way the story pans out and the way it develops the characters bring strong meaning to otherwise boring moments in the games story.

Summary - 

Overall Tales of Grace F is a great improvement over the original Wii version. A good few hours of new content has been added. The graphics have been given a major boost. And all the glitches are fixed and ready to go right out of the box. This isnt one of those games that going o go down in history for being an incredible game. This is one of those games you play simply because its a hell of allot of fun and will leave you with very fond memories of your PS3 in 10 years time.

Score -  Gameplay - 8.5        Music - 8        Story - 7.8       Graphics - 9.2        Overall - 8.4

Hope you enjoyed my review of Tales of Grace F :D

Yeah i know my spelling sucks but im dysgraphic so live with it :3    

---------------------------------------------------Bets--------------------------------------------------

Conegamer - I say that the PS3 will beat the DS next week in Japan  (for hardware sales) Forfeit is control over others avatar for 1 week.

Around the Network

By the way in the gameplay section after i copy and pasted the battle system name (because i cba to remember the full thing lol) The text went really small?

---------------------------------------------------Bets--------------------------------------------------

Conegamer - I say that the PS3 will beat the DS next week in Japan  (for hardware sales) Forfeit is control over others avatar for 1 week.

You better not do this for TLS Chibi. It would be a huge spoiler.

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909

Christian973 said:

Im going o do a review on weather i think its bad or not because iv been asked by about 6 peopel to do so :P but the story section will be removed for TLS ^^ 

Chibi.V.29 said:
Christian973 said:

Im going o do a review on weather i think its bad or not because iv been asked by about 6 peopel to do so :P but the story section will be removed for TLS ^^ 

Ah, a review on what you think how the battle system is played and how it is would be great indeed, but make sure you leave the story section out =)

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909

Around the Network
Christian973 said:
Chibi.V.29 said:
Christian973 said:

Ah, a review on what you think how the battle system is played and how it is would be great indeed, but make sure you leave the story section out =)

I will ^^ 

sales are well deserved then it seems :)

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

"You have 2 choices of attack style. type A and type B style (yep thats how inventive they are)"

Ok, That made me laugh.

M.U.G.E.N said:

sales are well deserved then it seems :)

They are in my opinion anyways :D

Packie said:

"You have 2 choices of attack style. type A and type B style (yep thats how inventive they are)"

Ok, That made me laugh.

Haha i was wondering who would notice that :P