By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii Whiteboard Marker

Johnny Chung Lee shows us how to use the Nintendo Wii Remote as a whiteboard marker. Watch the video to get more details.

Around the Network

I don't quite understand, was the remote tracking the IR light reflected off the surface?
i assume so, which means you have to make sure not to get your body inbetween (i guess that is why he had the remote off to one side for the projector)

pretty cool stuff, if it is possible to get that "four point" callibration software anywhere i may even consider this.

TWRoO said:
I don't quite understand, was the remote tracking the IR light reflected off the surface?
i assume so, which means you have to make sure not to get your body inbetween (i guess that is why he had the remote off to one side for the projector)

pretty cool stuff, if it is possible to get that "four point" callibration software anywhere i may even consider this.

You can get the software off of Johnny Chung Lee's site:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/projects/wii/

The apps for this and his "Minority Report" style finger air-touch demo are there.

// Gee... I wonder if the Guncon 3 can do this?

Guncon 3 uses TEh 6 LeDS!!!, of course it can

Ta dryden.

That video contains massive amounts of win.

I can't wait to test this when i get my hand on a projector.

Around the Network

Techno-geeks rejoice.

Party at my place.

joora said:
That video contains massive amounts of win.

I can't wait to test this when i get my hand on a projector.

I have a projector but no bulb =(

To Each Man, Responsibility

You can get a decent interactive whiteboard for about 1,800$ more or less. This is a whole lot more cheaper!

I've always wanted to draw on the computer, drawing with a tablet just doesn't do it for me.

And if Nintendo releases a firmware update with Johnny Chung Lee's software on it than it would be perfectly possible to draw on your television screen!

You don't need a projector. You can use it with ANY LCD screen.

Also, you can get IR LED pens at this site:

http://www.maxmax.com/aXRayIRLights.htm

I'm not sure how good they are for it, though.

The Wiimote isn't tracking the reflected light. It tracks the LED itself (his LED isn't bright enough to create a viable reflection). The pens I linked, I believe, are more powerful, so they're work differently but I'm sure there's still an easy enough way to make it work.

SW-5120-1900-6153