By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: You can't keep PlayStation Plus DLC

Sony has apologised for misleading PlayStation Plus members into believing they could keep PS3 game DLC when their subscriptions lapsed.

On the European PlayStation blog on 23rd June 2010, Sony's James Thorpe wrote: "Each month there will be two dynamic themes, two premium avatars and premium game elements/add-ons for you to download and many of these will be exclusive to members only.

"These are yours to keep forever once you have downloaded them."

The PlayStation Plus terms and conditions contradict this and state that only premium avatars and premium themes can be kept after a PlayStation Plus subscription has lapsed.

Sony's blog post has remained published and uncorrected until now.

On the European PlayStation blog today, James Thorpe atoned for an "honest mistake" caused by the "hectic launch period of Plus".

"[PlayStation] Plus premium game elements, mentioned in the T&Cs, do not refer to DLC," explained Thorpe. "The Private Members Club in PlayStation Home is an example of a premium game element ... they will expire if your Plus subscription expires.

"Add-ons are separate to premium game elements.

"In the original blog post," he added, "I was using the phrase 'add-ons' to refer to extra content including DLC. Currently, add-ons do not expire when the subscription expires

"Premium game elements and add-ons are not part of the core monthly content, I apologies again if my post during the launch of Plus was incorrect, I'm afraid this was just an honest mistake during the hectic launch period of Plus."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-12-01-sony-you-cant-keep-playstation-plus-dlc

Around the Network

so what's the benefit to have Plus now? you can't keep the free games, you can't keep the DLC... so just for the avatars?

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

saicho said:

so what's the benefit to have Plus now? you can't keep the free games, you can't keep the DLC... so just for the avatars?

You still save money on the discounts. That should overlap the 50$ you originally spent.

saicho said:

You can keep them as long as you're a Plus member....Sony aren't a charity you know

Actually, I read that a long time ago. When you end your sub, you lose some of your stuff. That's one of the reasons I don't subscribe, or not really, I actually don't know,maybe since I haven't bee too active on PSN lately. I thought people knew this, as its clearly written in their terms.

Around the Network

when you re-suscribe you get access back to your dlc you got once again / end thread

think of psn like a online rental service

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

But question was clear for me when I subscribed to Plus service... nothing new here.

While I keep my subscription the games are mine.

And every day I am more sure I made the right decision in signing the service.

Isn't anything you payed for yours? I doubt SONY would take something that you payed for.

Sooo . . . you can't keep DLC after your account expires? Or does this also refer to PSN games?

Brb, gonna go play 'Splosion Man without an internet connection now.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Ali-Kharazi said:

Isn't anything you payed for yours? I doubt SONY would take something that you payed for.

Anything you paid for is yours,  even if it was discounted by the PS Plus service.  But if its free to download, only Avatars and Themes are yours to keep. 

I was aware of this before I signed up,  cause it mentions this when you sign up for it