By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Admit it, Nintendo totally blew it.

Vizion said:
Nintendo was conservative by not ramping up production to meet demand ALL YEAR. Yes, the Wii is the fastest selling console but production still wasn't high enough, I believe, to not even come anywhere close to meeting demand. Resellers selling the Wii at a higher price this year than last year is a strong indicator of that. As I said before, I wouldn't doubt there would be 10-15 million more Wiis in people's homes if Nintendo produced enough.

Nintendo said themselves they usually stockpile during the summer to meet demand for the holiday season but couldn't because the Wii was consistently soldout. Then should it be so obvious for Nintendo to really, really ramp up production to try to meet demand especially for this time of the year?

Even Nintendo admitted that it was a missed opportunity. I am just emphasizing how big that opportunity was.

Lets do math for a second:  They're currenlty making 1.8 million Wiis/Month.

1.8*12 months*5 year life cycle= 108 million Wiis. 

Their last console sold 30 million TOTAL.  The NES, their best selling console ever, sold 60 million.  You want them to increase production to what? 2.8 million month?  Remember that the factories they built to make that extra production capacity don't just disappear after the holiday season.  That production capacity continues even after the Wiis are sold, so they have to consistently be able to sell that many per month.  That comes out to 168 million Wiis in its lifecycle, which is, well, possible, but not reliable.  They made an intelligent business decision.

Around the Network

well i do think that nintendo could of made wii even more succesful but nintnedo did increase production to 1.8 million a month and its hard to go even further

If demand is still as strong well after holidays, lets say march then i can see production increasing to 2 million a month

Now Playing

Planet Puzzle League

Kirby Mouse Attack

Nanostray

Thats what next year is for.....

UNLESS, you still believe that this was going to be the Wii's only good year.

1/ they could not predict the Wii will sell at this rate
2/ they could not afford to take the risk
3/ a part of the demand is du to the "sold out effect". To say it differently, if Nintendo produce more Wii, the Wii is not anymore sold out, people can buy the Wii, and the demand decrease ...
Remember there is a big hype effect around the Wii : general media, family advertissement.
4/ With the Xbox360 arcade at low price, the Wii ONLY begin to lose a part of the casual market (see this month datas).

Time to Work !

Around the Network

The Wii's strength is that it can maintain these sales during the better part of the year where as the PS3 and 360 can't.

NJ5 said:

Here is how manufacturing works in the minds of some internet people:

WHY DOESN'T NINTENDO PRESS THE RED BUTTON?

YEAH NINTENDO PUSH IT!!!!!!!

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

Vizion said:
Nintendo was conservative by not ramping up production to meet demand ALL YEAR. Yes, the Wii is the fastest selling console but production still wasn't high enough, I believe, to not even come anywhere close to meeting demand. Resellers selling the Wii at a higher price this year than last year is a strong indicator of that. As I said before, I wouldn't doubt there would be 10-15 million more Wiis in people's homes if Nintendo produced enough.

Nintendo said themselves they usually stockpile during the summer to meet demand for the holiday season but couldn't because the Wii was consistently soldout. Then should it be so obvious for Nintendo to really, really ramp up production to try to meet demand especially for this time of the year?

Even Nintendo admitted that it was a missed opportunity. I am just emphasizing how big that opportunity was.

Man, I don't understand why Nintendo hasn't called you up for a job yet. You seem to know all the answers to Nintendo's problems. They are falling apart without you.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

@mancandy,

too conservative, they figured they can just get his advice for free on "teh internet"...

To Each Man, Responsibility

The Pikmin can only be produced do fast. If fact, to try and increaxe production,Nintendo tried to merge a Pikmin and an Pokemon. The outcome was a raving rabbid.