By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DC 2? I wish it was true.

Is Sega Working On Dreamcast 2?

http://kotaku.com/gaming/rumor/is-sega-working-on-dreamcast-2-330869.php

Back in August, Sega filed an application with the U.S. Patent and Trademark office to protect the Dreamcast trademark. Now their original filing is good until December of 2009, this new filing has added some new terms to the mix that are sparking speculation of a Dreamcast 2 being in the cards. From the filing:

home video game machines; player-operated electronic controllers for electronic video game machines; video game interactive controller, namely, hand held pads, and floor pads or mats; joysticks for video games; computer cursor control devices, namely, computer mouse; flash memory cards; video game software, computer game programs

While most of the devices listed could easily relate to the original Dreamcast, flash memory cards and floor mats were never a part of the company's machine. Could Sega be quietly getting ready to re-enter the console business?

As much as I wish this rumor were true, I don't believe it. More likely the company is updating the original trademark to cover additional items in order to make sure some enterprising company doesn't come out with a Dreamcast brand memory card or dance pad. Either that, or Sega is planning on getting into the peripheral market themselves - Dreamcast is still a pretty strong brand among fans after all. I just cannot see them jumping back in to the already crowded console market.

For one thing, Sega's software offerings haven't been all that stellar lately, in case you hadn't noticed. Sonic sells well to children, but most gamers can agree that their flagship franchise has been in a downward spiral since Sonic Adventure, and with Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games they've managed to release the worst Mario game ever. They couldn't make a new console work on strength of software alone.

That leaves strength of hardware, and while the Dreamcast was an amazing little machine, I just can't imagine Sega pulling together the cash to manufacture something that could compete with the popularity of the Wii or the power of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Besides, many of us have already gotten our current gen machine picked, and with multi platform third party titles becoming the norm, we're right back at selling a hardware platform on first party titles, which again - not happening.

I'd love to be wrong here, really. I would really love to see Sega give hardware another go, and there will always be room in my heart and my entertainment center for my Dreamcast, but no.

Around the Network

No one loved the DC over here =/?

it won't happen, and even if it did, sega's first party games aren't half as enticing as they once were and 3rd party support would be nonexistent sooooo......DO NOT WANT :)

Only if Sony falls out fo the running for consoles, and that's not likely.

In order to compete, they would either have to be even more innovative than the Wii, or more powerful than the PS3. They would tank their entire company trying to compete.

Around the Network

If this was the Sega from 2000 making a new console, I'd be overjoyed, but it isn't. Sega has really been lacking in game development lately, and they've practically ruined Sonic. The console would have a pitiful software selection, and few good exclusives aside from Virtua Fighter.

Sega can't possibly fight powerhouses such as Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony. This ain't happening and Sega will be bankrupt if they try.

I still want Shenmue 3, Trickstyle 2 euhm SONIC ADVENTURE 3

=/.

This does not appear to be anything more than Sega trying to protect an IP -- namely "Dreamcast."

Sega will not get back into hardware. But they don't want anyone developing a "Dreamcast" line of controllers, ruining Sega's good name and reputation ... or whatever name and reputation that Sega has left. And more importantly, Sega would get no money out of someone using their IP without protecting it.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

I pretty much agree with your assessment.. but with the rate that Sega is going (Have they even released a decent game since DC? Excluding Sonic Rush?) I'm glad they aren't because they would likely louse it up pretty badly.