By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Has your PS3 ever died or needed repair?

Has your PS3 ever died or needed repair?

I own a 20gb/60gb PS3 which has died 14 14.29%

I own a 20gb/60gb PS3 has never died 26 26.53%

I own a different PS3 model which has died 14 14.29%

I own a different PS3 mod... 35 35.71%

I don't own a PS3 1 1.02%

PS3 sucks 8 8.16%

Total:98

I have a first gen 60 gig PS3 which I bought a few months ago, I got specifically that model because it can play PS2 games. But I've been reading on some forums that the first gen PS3 has a higher failure rate than other models mostly due to overheating, which supposedly melts the solder from the GPU and CPU. Because of that I've been thinking lately that maybe I should get rid of my PS3 and get a slim which produces less heat. So far my PS3 has never failed except for a few times it has frozen (4 or 5 times in like six months).

This is why I would like to know about your experience with the PS3 so that I can make the right decision. It would be cool If you could post some information about factors that could have contributed to the fact that your PS3 has failed of not.

Update: I did a little research on how to prevent YLOD from happening and I found out about some "thermal paste" thing that needs to be replaced and is the root of the issue on PS3's (and computers) with overheating problems. Thermal paste is a heat conductive grease that goes on top of the CPU and GPU and helps to transfer the heat from those components to the heat sink. Apparently when the thermal paste gets old (or too much is applied), the heat doesn't flow to the heat sink and stays in the CPU causing overheating. I'll just get some thermal paste today and apply it on my PS3, then I'll tell you how it worked : )

Around the Network

I've used a 40GB phat model which I've had for 2-3 and with 0 problems.
I bought a new slim model 4 or so months ago which hasn't had any problems.

I haven't owned a BC model but I've heard that they are much more susceptible to fail.

ive actually had more problems than i had with either the ps1 or ps2. have had several failures.

edit:  i had more originally written than these two sentences...but in between clicking "done" and the post being posted...a lot has disappeared...and im not going to retype it

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

I only had to send my PS3 in once and it has worked every day since.  My brother uses it now.   I now have a non-BC 80GB that I swapped out the HDD and I have ever had any problems with it. 

i have 2 60Gb launch PS3s and a Slim and had never a problem.

Around the Network

2 failures (60GB). One was a disc drive failure and the other was YLOD.

I have a 60gb UK release date model. Lasted just over 3 years before the Blu-ray drive failed. had it fixed by 3rd party in London for

Atari 2600, Sega Mega Drive, Game Boy, Game Boy Advanced, N64, Playstation, Xbox, PSP Phat, PSP 3000, and PS3 60gb (upgraded to 320gb), NDS

Linux Ubuntu user

Favourite game: Killzone 3

DP

Atari 2600, Sega Mega Drive, Game Boy, Game Boy Advanced, N64, Playstation, Xbox, PSP Phat, PSP 3000, and PS3 60gb (upgraded to 320gb), NDS

Linux Ubuntu user

ChristianTheAtheist said:

I have a first gen 60 gig PS3 which I bought a few months ago, I got specifically that model because it can play PS2 games. But I've been reading on some forums that the first gen PS3 has a higher failure rate than other models mostly due to overheating, which supposedly melts the solder from the GPU and CPU. Because of that I've been thinking lately that maybe I should get rid of my PS3 and get a slim which produces less heat. So far my PS3 has never failed except for a few times it has frozen (4 or 5 times in like six months).

This is why I would like to know about your experience with the PS3 so that I can make the right decision. It would be cool If you could post some information about factors that could have contributed to the fact that your PS3 has failed of not.

I did a similar survey a little while ago, you might find the results interesting.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=100224

Linux Ubuntu user

I still have my launch-day 60GB console and not a problem at all yet! Here's hoping that it stays that way