By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Steam coming to Linux

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODE3Mw

Doesn't need more explanation. I'm happy, as some of my favourite games will now work on Linux too.

Around the Network

One of the main reasons to use Windows over Linux on a desktop is now gone. All that's left really is better flash and hardware support, though the sound engine is still a bit of a mess.

PSN: chenguo4
Current playing: No More Heroes

WOW, this could be a first step towards a kind of HW platform independence for games giving much greater performances than Java or Flash.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

that's always a good news!

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

This is the number one reason I tend to go back to Windows. I may start using Linux again on my laptop.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network

Yaaaaaaaaaaay

*kicks his Radeon*

Yaaaaaay

Alby_da_Wolf said:
WOW, this could be a first step towards a kind of HW platform independence for games giving much greater performances than Java or Flash.

Well, Steam is more a content delivery system than anengine for games, but it makes the cross-platfom support easier to work on for developers.

chenguo4 said:
One of the main reasons to use Windows over Linux on a desktop is now gone. All that's left really is better flash and hardware support, though the sound engine is still a bit of a mess.

It's not gone as you can't switch to linux today and play all your favorite Windows games instantly.

The situation is improving though.  It's a step in the right direction.

does anyone even have linux?

rafichamp said:
does anyone even have linux?

Yeah, I've been running Ubuntu for a few months now.