By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Apple iPad: 450,000 sold since launch

Apple iPad: 450,000 sold since launch

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Sales for the highly anticipated iPad hit 450,000 on Thursday, according to Apple's chief executive.

Apple (APPL) CEO Steve Jobs told the audience at the Live: iPhone OS 4.0 preview event at its Cupertino, CA headquarters that the company has sold about 150,000 additional iPad units since its April 3rd launch. (Want to return your iPad? Tell us why)

The iPad went on sale nationwide at 9 a.m. last Saturday with a base price of $499. According to Jobs, iPad users downloaded 250,000 iBook titles on the first day, but that total is now above 600,000. Additionally, customers have downloaded more than 3.5 million iPad apps from the Apple store, which now features 185,000 of them according to Jobs.

The tablet device was met with much fanfare, but first day sales of 300,000 fell short of some analysts' expectations. Many expected Apple to sell as many as 700,000 units in its first weekend. 

Source - http://money.cnn.com/2010/04/08/news/companies/apple_ipad_sales/index.htm

Whilst below analysts expectations (and we all know that analysts are pretty useless in many cases) I think that those sales are pretty impressive for the ipad. It seems its considerably expanding the audience of the tablet pc market so far.

Around the Network

Sad day for intelligent consumers everywhere.

mirgro said:
Sad day for intelligent consumers everywhere.

I'm sure they'll smarten up once news of your condescension reaches them.

If this is like the numbers Apple reported on Monday, it represents sellthrough in Apple's retail and online stores, and shipments to other retailers. It doesn't include pre-orders of the 3G model or overseas markets which see release in a month or so.

Jobs also mentioned 50 million iPhone sales and over 85 million devices between the iPhone and iPod Touch. Pretty good for a product line that has yet to mark its third anniversary.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Man, can we go 2 seconds on Vgchartz without some kind of condescending troll remark?

These sales don't impress me (yet), but the sales that Famousringo posted are incredible.

MontanaHatchet said:
Man, can we go 2 seconds on Vgchartz without some kind of condescending troll remark?

These sales don't impress me (yet), but the sales that Famousringo posted are incredible.

Would it impress you to know that's about double of what the iPhone and iPod touch did in the same timeframe?

Around the Network
TheRealMafoo said:
MontanaHatchet said:

Would it impress you to know that's about double of what the iPhone and iPod touch did in the same timeframe?

I think the iPad is doing so well because of the iPhone's proof of concept already being there.

mirgro said:
TheRealMafoo said:
MontanaHatchet said:

I think the iPad is doing so well because of the iPhone's proof of concept already being there.

Yea, and the iPhone was launched at $600.

TheRealMafoo said:
mirgro said:
TheRealMafoo said:
MontanaHatchet said:

Yea, and the iPhone was launched at $600.

Yeah but all its features were also brand spanking new. It also had the ability to make calls, be online anywhere with coverage, and had a camera. One of those things was extremely novel.

I can understand Apple dislike. But some of the trolling the company gets is just so completely over the top. Its as bad as Microsoft now (or should I have put micro$oft?)

@Mafoo. Where did you get the number for iPhone?

http://ezinearticles.com/?iPhone-First-Week-Sales-Lead-to-Sell-Outs&id=640976

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2008/07/25/231557/iPhone-sales-hit-one-million-in-first-week.htm

Because those are what I find when I look for first weekend/week sales.