By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Want to play my latest school assignment (it's chess)

Hey guys. I just finished writing this for school

http://code.google.com/p/sysc-2101-project/downloads/list

What does VGChartz think?

(You unfortunately need the abomination that is Java installed to run this. Once it's installed, just double click the download from the site.)

3DS - 2277 - 6636 - 6675 WiiU - Vectorferret
(Write on wall or PM if adding)
Around the Network

Not bad...Just 1 minor bug:

If you select Knight's Tour Or Queens, your system forces you to capture a integer value, even if you click Cancel. The only way to proceed is by capturing the value.

You should add a computer opponent as well.

There is no Knowledge that is not Power

Thanks for the feedback. I corrected the problem you mentioned (and improved the Pawn promotion so that it has a dropdown of possible promotions rather than asking peope to type what they want).

Well done, works great!
And why you dis Java (I have a soft spot for it, my fav language).

Now just the CPU AI needed :)

There is no Knowledge that is not Power

I have no problem with Java, it's Sun's JRE I don't like. It takes up far too much memory to be reasonable. Also, people hate installing it, and it's too large for frozen binaries. It's fine if IT can install it on a server (which also has enough memory) but for user applications it's more hassle than it's worth.

Around the Network

No AI?

Otherwise I don't really see the point since I play against humans with a real chess board or on the pc for internet multiplayer.

But it seems perfectly usable for hotseat play.

FaRmLaNd said:
No AI?

Otherwise I don't really see the point since I play against humans with a real chess board or on the pc for internet multiplayer.

I made a chess game for a class in high school...I couldn't imagine programming the AI for it.  It's a complex game and while movements are certainly doable, any kind of decent strategy for a game like chess is a very difficult programming task.

Fayceless said:
FaRmLaNd said:
No AI?

I made a chess game for a class in high school...I couldn't imagine programming the AI for it.  It's a complex game and while movements are certainly doable, any kind of decent strategy for a game like chess is a very difficult programming task.

Hell, it is hard for most humans to play chess well. Let alone write a code for it.

Works great.  Except that it's wrong.  It claims I have won when I clearly have not!

Link to pic: http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g122/wetmelon/ChessBroken.png

E2-E4

E7-E5

D1-H5

G7-G6

H5-D5*

Gives Checkmate, but you can move either Queen or Knight in front to block.  I know Java though so if you need any help coding the logic, I can help you.

Not only is life a bitch, it has puppies.