By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who are your favorite video game composers?

For me, Nobuo Uematsu is incredible. Definitely one of the best composers out there. Just about every good Final Fantasy song was composed by him. Some of his best works can be heard in this video:

Yoko Shimomura is great as well. She composed the music for the Kingdom Hearts series.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Around the Network

Martin O'Donnel (Halo, Mr. Clean!), Jesper Kyd (Hitman series, Assassin's Creed) and Kō Ōtani (Shadow of the Colossus).

Oops, forgot Amon Tobin for his work with Jesper Kyd on Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.

Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy series) and Harry Gregson-Williams (Metal Gear Solid 2, 3 and 4)

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy), Yasunori Mitsuda (Chrono series & Xenogears) and Kō Ōtani (Shadow of the Colossus).

@dtewi
that video was awesome! thank you for showing me that

and

to any fans of Nobuo Uematsu check out his band The Black Mages, they are amazing :D

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

Around the Network

Nobuo Uematsu, Koji Kondo, Yasunori Mitsuda, Yoko Kanno, Kentaro Haneda, Masami Ueda, Masato Koda, Ko Otani (sorry, if I spelled one or two names incorrectly).

Western game composers: None
(some of them are really good, but most of their works sound too similar to MOVIE scores imo, i.e. if I compare their works to the works of my favorite Japanese game composers or my favorite movie composers such as Bernard Herrmann, Jerry Goldsmith, Elmer Bernstein, Henry Mancini, Joe Hisaishi, Georges Delerue, Miklos Rosza, Nino Rota, Thomas Newman..., they don't stand a chance).

No one likes music?

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

Soriku said:
Uematsu, Shimomoura, Sakuraba (Baten Kaitos, Tales, Star Ocean, etc.), Shoji Meguro (Digital Devil Saga/Persona/Shin Megami Tensei games in general), Takeharu Ishimoto (TWEWY), Koji Kondo, Yasumi Fukuda (composed Mute City in SSBB...lvoe that song), Tsukasa Tawada (Pokemon Colosseum) and the various composers from Paper Mario: TTYD and Zelda: TWW.

You like someone for making one song?

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

Koichi Sugiyama (Dragon Quest) is simply the best.

Koji Kondo, Nobuo Uematsu, Yoko Shimomura, Yasunori Mitsuda (Chrono series), Hiroki Kikuta (Mana series), Koichi Sugiyama (Dragon Quest).

I must say, more people should listen to Dragon Quest music. Sugiyama isn't as flashy as Uematsu but he's made some very memorable tracks.

EDIT: Oh, and the VERY underated Kenji Yamamoto (Metroid Prime series)

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."