By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Example of why Wii will continue to dominate.

Source

The following is an article on ABC News website, written by a woman who says she hasn't touched a video game in decades.

"The latest incarnation of the video game juggernaut, "Guitar Hero," celebrates the memories of '70s and '80s hair bands that long ago succumbed to overindulging, old age or reality TV. And what a rock-filled jaunt down memory lane it is.

I'll admit I'm a little behind — I only just got a Wii a few months ago. I hadn't picked up a video controller in years, much less spent an entire weekend camped out in front of a TV with friends cheering.

Enter "Guitar Hero 3," a game that prompted so much hair metal whooping, my upstairs neighbors knocked on my door to make sure everything was OK.

Like its predecessors, the game's third installment prompts players to take their band (we named ours Megahurtz) through their career, which begins in divey clubs and goes on to getting record deals, making music videos, and going on international tours. The difference in this version, however, is the song selection — and a superior one at that.

adsonar_placementId=1280605;adsonar_pid=42753;adsonar_ps=-1;adsonar_zw=165;adsonar_zh=220;adsonar_jv='ads.adsonar.com';

Rock out with the Sex Pistols' "Anarchy in the U.K.," Weezer's "My Name is Jonas" and Rolling Stones' "Paint It Black." You never realize what a great song "Rock You Like a Hurricane" is until you've strummed it on your Wii controller.

Along the way, players are treated to (and for me, defeated by) guitar battles with Slash and Rage Against the Machine's Tom Morello, whose avatar soundly beat me several times. (If I never see the words "Tom Morello Rocks" again, I will die a happy woman.)

As would-be rock stars play various gigs, they earn nominal sums, which they can spend in the Guitar Hero store, on guitar faces, outfits and, most important, songs. Note to developer: Game needs more like Stone Roses and Kaiser Chiefs, less of the metal bands no one's ever heard of.

Players can choose which level they want to travel through — easy, medium or hard. The easy level gets almost boring after a few songs; the medium level is manageable, and the hard is extremely difficult — at least, at first.

The game finally ends in a face-melting battle with "Lou," or Lucifer, after which you celebrate with your friends and start at the next level. And here was my main complaint — albeit a nitpicky one — with the game; the songs in each level are all the same. I love Heart as much as the next child of the '80s, but if I have to play "Barracuda" one more time at any level, I might stab my ears with drumsticks.

Wait — that's pretty rock 'n roll."

The interesting thing here is this article is primarily about the awesomeness of Guitar Hero III, not about the Wii. Yet, very quickly you see that this article only exists because of the Wii. She clearly shows that it is expected that she has a Wii. Just like people now expect you to own an iPod. This kind of market assumption of ownership defines a market leader. 360 and PS3 just don't have anything near this time of free press for the true mass market, NOT the much smaller "gamer" market. 

Around the Network

Oh and here is something else. World leaders. Yeah, bet you won't see any of them holding a six axis.

Even if you dislike politics, this is quite a funny clip from the Rick Mercer Report. Rick Mercer talks to former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien at a local burger joint and even takes him on with Wii Boxing and gets beat.

Last night on the Rick Mercer Report, former Prime Minister Jean Chretien “put the ticker to the test” in a series of activities, including Wii boxing, to show he is back and stronger than ever.

@http://www.gametactics.com/?view=article&article=1418&cat=1

"It’s been one year since Nintendo launched its Wii system and not only have we seen kids and teenagers fall in love and play with its unique interactive controllers, but parents and even grandparents have been hooked. Fitness centres, senior facilities and even recreational therapy centres have caught the craze, and now…. le petit gars de Shawinigan!

Want to see if the former prime minister is still in shape? Check out the clip here:
http://www.cbc.ca/mercerreport "

You have a good point. I was going to point out that it seemed more like a positive review of GH3, but from what this lady said she'd never have even been playing it if it weren't for the Wii.

Although I'm a Zune owner, I understand exactly what you're saying. iPod is practically a synonym for mp3 player now. I suppose I could see Wii becoming the same as video games, just like the name Nintendo was back in the 80's.

takeru51 said:
I suppose I could see Wii becoming the same as video games, just like the name Nintendo was back in the 80's.
My heart beats faster just thinking about that possibility.

thats crazy--you cant pay for advertising like that