By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - could the uk become more important than japan to the games industry?????

just wanted to no if anyone thinks this can or will happen ??

Around the Network

i dont think it will but its getting there

No, Japan is just in a lull right now.

When the United Kingdom has an opening week of 2 million for a single game, then I'll think differently.

Yes, in 2040 the Uk probably will have more citizens than Japan so yes huge possibility.

konnichiwa said:
Yes, in 2040 the Uk probably will have more citizens than Japan so yes huge possibility.

Japan has more than double the population, and the UK is growing at a snail's pace.

Around the Network

Compared to the rest of the world, yes. Japan seems to be distancing itself from the rest of the world's tastes while Britain is a good mix of the US and Europe.

Overall? No, Japan will continue to buy games and a lot of them. The question is "what games will they be buying?"

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

MontanaHatchet said:
konnichiwa said:

Japan has more than double the population, and the UK is growing at a snail's pace.

But the Japanese population is decreasing and it will decrease every year fast. (I thought I saw articles that said in 2050 there will be 60 million Japanase).

Sorry, but I'm a bit tired of this silly question. Japan still buys an insane amount of video games, considering their population. Even more important: The majority of our beloved games COME from Japan. You tell Sony, Nintendo, Konami, Capcom, Square, ... that they don't matter anymore.

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii) 
MontanaHatchet said:
konnichiwa said:

the uk population growth rate is big now because of immagration from the new eu countries it will grow by 500,000 a year and will hit 70 million by 2030

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=489225&in_page_id=1770

so the population of the uk will catch up to japan witin the next 50 years if this carries on

MontanaHatchet said:
No, Japan is just in a lull right now.

When the United Kingdom has an opening week of 2 million for a single game, then I'll think differently.

yes but the games that have an opening week of 2 million the second week quickly die off