By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I was wrong about Bad Company 2 (eating some crow).

I'm swallowing my pride a little bit when I'm making this thread...

Okay basically I'm a Modern Warfare 2 player and when I first played the Bad Company 2 demo I was bad-mouthing it a lot saying it sucked ass because the controls were bad, the framerate sucked, the maps were too big, the movement wasn't fluid like MW2, etc, etc. I realized it was the demo/beta but I really was harsh about it.

Okay so I rented the game and played it for probably 3 hours so far and while I still don't think its as good as MW2, it's not nearly as bad as I thought it was. There are some things I like about it (more so than MW2) and some I still don't like.

So after 3-4 hours of play here's my pros/cons (mainly in comparison to Modern Warfare 2):

+ Dedicated servers means nobody has host advantage

+ It's totally different and a nice break from MW2

+ Its more realistic and less of an "arcade-shooter" than MW2 (could be taken as a positive or a negative)

+ The sniping, while taking a lot of getting used to, is really fun and a lot more challeging then Modern Warfare 2's quick scoping bull shit

+ There's no killstreaks which gives people less reason to camp (people camp to get chopper gunners/nukes in MW2)

+ The knifing is basically useless, which could also be seen as a negative, but it means we don't have people running around knife only like in MW2

+ The noob tube/grenade launcher is harder to use, and with no scavenger/one man army once you fire off both you're out of them (I guess unless you get given more ammo by one of those ammo guys, I don't know how that works yet)

+ You can choose your spawn which means you're less likely to get spawn killed then in MW2

- The maps are so big I sometimes found myself running for a solid minute or two just to get sniped

- I am a big hater of vehicles in games, I ran into a lot of tank whores who spend the entire game in tanks

- I still stand by my statement that the movement isn't as fluid and nice as in MW2

- It might just be me, but the shooting just doesn't seem as good as MW2 (this may just need more getting used to)

- Only 3 game modes and a handful of maps. MW2 on the other hand probably has 7 or so unique game modes and like 15 or so maps, although granted the maps are bigger in BC2, but that's not necessarily a positive

That's basically it. Thanks for reading and post what you think of the game. Do you like Modern Warfare 2 or Bad Company 2 better? Or are you waiting for something like SOCOM 4 or the new Medal of Honor game?

Around the Network

It was a pleasure to read your fair and well explained grips/praises for the games.

I will argue that the maps aren't too big, because you have plenty of vehicles (disposable ATVs or Humvees).

The things I love about the game:

1) Re-playability. There's simply so many combination and strategies you can do. Get the explosives pouch and demolition man specialization, put 6 or more C4s on a UAVx3 squad members, and take out crates in one blow. I love the patches for the most part (hate the Marksman headshot patch, as I don't want to snipe for 100 kills), and the Bronze star patch makes you play with all the guns and realize how different and balanced they are.

The destructible environments and open maps also allow you to go through a map in so many ways, and gives so many unique situations. No longer are there famous places to camps, or things everyone has to repeat over and over.

2) Emphasis on teamwork. You can't be a one man army, and every class has huge strengths as well as huge weaknesses. Getting a good squad with a medic, assault, recon, and maybe Engineer (depending on if the map is vehicle heavy or not) can allow you wreck absolute havoc (Recon throwing sensors, Assault resupplying, Medic reviving, Engineer destroying tanks, etc).

Yeah this game is a really different experience from MW2. The level cap seems fair, and no knifing noobs is a great thing. I hope this game gets more popular.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

Akvod said:
It was a pleasure to read your fair and well explained grips/praises for the games.

I will argue that the maps aren't too big, because you have plenty of vehicles (disposable ATVs or Humvees).

The things I love about the game:

1) Re-playability. There's simply so many combination and strategies you can do. Get the explosives pouch and demolition man specialization, put 6 or more C4s on a UAVx3 squad members, and take out crates in one blow. I love the patches for the most part (hate the Marksman headshot patch, as I don't want to snipe for 100 kills), and the Bronze star patch makes you play with all the guns and realize how different and balanced they are.

The destructible environments and open maps also allow you to go through a map in so many ways, and gives so many unique situations. No longer are there famous places to camps, or things everyone has to repeat over and over.

2) Emphasis on teamwork. You can't be a one man army, and every class has huge strengths as well as huge weaknesses. Getting a good squad with a medic, assault, recon, and maybe Engineer (depending on if the map is vehicle heavy or not) can allow you wreck absolute havoc (Recon throwing sensors, Assault resupplying, Medic reviving, Engineer destroying tanks, etc).

No "one man army" I beg to differ that's all I did in beta and now in the actual game.

It seems like engineer is the best class because though I have only played like under 10 games in full version in beta if I was with a good tank driver who knew how to duck when under fire for repair by the end of the game both of us would have like 4000 score without bonus. And that's why I love this game because it doesn't have an unbalanced learning edge like in MW2 where you get mad because you died unfairly.

MW was revolutionary MW2 is detrimental

BC was sub-par BC2 is great now Batteleifl 3 (sequel to battlefiel 2 modern combat) will be GOD LIKE

"Rainbird: Why don't Nintendo and Microsoft Copy the Sony Blog?

Bagenome:You can't shoot things on a blog, and babies can't read, so I don't think it would suit either one's target audience."

d21lewis said:
Honestly, do JRPG makers even realize how hard it is to save the world? That shit is impossible!