Welcome to VGchatz!

Games4Fun said:
ShadowSnake said:
L.C.E.C. said:

I would like to say this, which no-one in this thread has said to you yet:

Welcome to VGChartz! :) 

no one ever welcomed me when i registered... lol

Welcome to VGchatz!

VGchatz?!?! damn, I registered to the wrong site. no wonder i kept getting invited to chat with some woman from the philipines

but seriously. thank you. and expect a hundred dollar bill in the mail for your kindness, one of thse days. and it's canadian. so you get some colorful monopoly money

OK guys, time for me to explain the method behind the madness:

1. My girlfriend is very sick and needs lots of rest. I have had almost zero contact with her (maybe a total of 30 minutes?) over the past 3 days. I was not only bored but I also needed a source of entertainment and cheer.

2. I was in school. AP Biology to be specific. My teacher is fairly incompetent at her job, thus I get on this site every day in her class.

3. I stared in disbelief at the new Sony move pictures. I think they even used the same hand model.

4. I was looking for an old picture in image search, but accidentally did a standard google search, and found an actual article... I read it andwas at first, shocked at the force the NOE representative had... Then (reading the rumble part) I realized it was from 2006. I had never seen the article, and apparently not many others did at the time. In fact, if you took out that segment (or if you didn't know that the Move has rumble) and changed the date, the article seems completely relevant (and in my honest opinion, true for the most part).

5. I realized that most people didn't know much about the move, considering it's new status, and probably wouldn't notice the rumble comment.

6. I thought, "this would be fun", and posted the article as I left class.

7. I came home a bit later and checked it up and read the comments... Very entertaining, to say the least.

8. Many people were fooled, even a few mods at first. XD

9. Many people were shocked (at the agressiveness).

10. A few people trolled, slightly entertaining.

11. I laughed my ass off several times. Especially that little debate about whether or not Nintendo brought the thumbstick into conception. Seriously? LMAO.

12. One more thing: History repeats itself. I honestly would laugh if something similar happened, although they would probably say it less troll-y (If that is a word).

13. Oh yeah, and... People will continue to comment on it and be fooled because on this site, no-one seems to read the comments.

^_^

ShadowSnake said:
Games4Fun said:
ShadowSnake said:
L.C.E.C. said:

I would like to say this, which no-one in this thread has said to you yet:

Welcome to VGChartz! :) 

no one ever welcomed me when i registered... lol

Welcome to VGchatz!

VGchatz?!?! damn, I registered to the wrong site. no wonder i kept getting invited to chat with some woman from the philipines

but seriously. thank you. and expect a hundred dollar bill in the mail for your kindness, one of thse days. and it's canadian. so you get some colorful monopoly money

I never claimed I could type well!=0 Woot monopoly munnies

Around the Network
vaio said:
RolStoppable said:
room414 said:

@rolstoppable

First off, don't put words in my mouth. Nowhere did i say the sony's flight controller was pretty much the same as the nintendo 64 controller, only that it had dual analog sticks thus providing inspiration for sony's handheld controller.

Did you miss this part: First, it wasn't actually analog. Analog joysticks like the 5200's had too many moving parts and were prone to breaking. Nintendo's stick was digital, but provided enough levels of sensitivity that the distinction was moot. 

So nintendo obviously followed suit by making their subsequesnt controllers with analog sticks on them.

Looks just like a thumbstick to me.

Fine, the Vectrex had indeed an analog thumbstick. However, it didn't make it past the status of a gimmick and it didn't add anything substantial to gameplay. It's not surprising in the least that the Nintendo 64 controller had a much bigger impact on the industry. It's important to note that video games are more than just hardware and without the correct software, technology becomes meaningless.

Regarding the missed part: No, I didn't miss it. In the same sentence the article states that the distinction is moot which to me means negligible, not worth mentioning.

No rol it couldnt be used as a thumbstick and was never marketed (not even ment as one if the designers werent complete morons) as one you could not reach button 1 (and had troube to reach 2) if you used it as a thumb stick.You played with this as a stationary controller thats how it was ment to play and was marketed the same way you played in the arcade halls.

It was the best joystick out there at the time and it deserves credit for it not for being a thumbstick it never was. It was the best joystick closly followed by the tac3 wich would have been the best if it werent for the fact they broke easy as hell.

I forgot about the colecovision as well which also used a thumbstick. And don't even try and bullshit me by trying to say it wasn't a thumbstick cause this one i actually played on.

room414 said:
vaio said:
RolStoppable said:
room414 said:

@rolstoppable

First off, don't put words in my mouth. Nowhere did i say the sony's flight controller was pretty much the same as the nintendo 64 controller, only that it had dual analog sticks thus providing inspiration for sony's handheld controller.

Did you miss this part: First, it wasn't actually analog. Analog joysticks like the 5200's had too many moving parts and were prone to breaking. Nintendo's stick was digital, but provided enough levels of sensitivity that the distinction was moot. 

So nintendo obviously followed suit by making their subsequesnt controllers with analog sticks on them.

Looks just like a thumbstick to me.

Fine, the Vectrex had indeed an analog thumbstick. However, it didn't make it past the status of a gimmick and it didn't add anything substantial to gameplay. It's not surprising in the least that the Nintendo 64 controller had a much bigger impact on the industry. It's important to note that video games are more than just hardware and without the correct software, technology becomes meaningless.

Regarding the missed part: No, I didn't miss it. In the same sentence the article states that the distinction is moot which to me means negligible, not worth mentioning.

No rol it couldnt be used as a thumbstick and was never marketed (not even ment as one if the designers werent complete morons) as one you could not reach button 1 (and had troube to reach 2) if you used it as a thumb stick.You played with this as a stationary controller thats how it was ment to play and was marketed the same way you played in the arcade halls.

It was the best joystick out there at the time and it deserves credit for it not for being a thumbstick it never was. It was the best joystick closly followed by the tac3 wich would have been the best if it werent for the fact they broke easy as hell.

I forgot about the colecovision as well which also used a thumbstick. And don't even try and bullshit me by trying to say it wasn't a thumbstick cause this one i actually played on.

Are you kidding me? I've read this whole argument and it's rediculous. Are you really going to compare a quasi-directional, completely digital (with no variation in speed or distance of movement) joystick, to a "near-360-degree" analogue thumbstick? REALLY? The two are not even close.

L.C.E.C. said:
room414 said:

Are you kidding me? I've read this whole argument and it's rediculous. Are you really going to compare a quasi-directional, completely digital (with no variation in speed or distance of movement) joystick, to a "near-360-degree" analogue thumbstick? REALLY? The two are not even close.

Thumbstick is a thumbstick buddy, it's gotta start somewhere. And if you read the whole thing you would know the 64 thumbstick was digital. I honestly don't know why this is so hard for you nintendo fans. You seem to think everything originated with nintendo.

room414 said:
L.C.E.C. said:
room414 said:

Thumbstick is a thumbstick buddy, it's gotta start somewhere. And if you read the whole thing you would know the 64 thumbstick was digital. I honestly don't know why this is so hard for you nintendo fans. You seem to think everything originated with nintendo.

Um, dude, since you love to quote wikipedia: "An analog stick, sometimes called a thumbstick or control stick, is an input device for a controller (often a game controller) that is used for two-dimensional input. An analog stick is a popular variation of a joystick. It consists of some sort of protrusion from the controller, and the input is based on the position of this protrusion. While a digital joystick relies on single electrical connections for movement (using internal digital electrical contacts for up, down, left and right), an analog stick uses continuous electrical activity running through potentiometers.... Its use is prevalent in 3D games, where more than 8 directions are needed (which is all that was offered on the d-pad). Using a D-pad in a 3D game greatly limits the ability to move. For example, in a 3D platformer like Super Mario 64, using a D-pad would allow Mario to move forward, left, and forward-left, but nothing in between. Some early 3D games like Resident Evil overcame this limitation by assigning the Left and Right directions on the D-pad to spin the character instead of making the character move in that direction. However with the prevalence of analog sticks, the aforementioned limitation of the D-pad no longer became an issue."

I DID see it say that it was technically digital, but face it: No other gaming system before the n64 had a thumbstick that provided more than 8 (even 4, if I recall correctly) directional choices.

BAD ASSUMPTION: I am a Nintendo fan? Nice try bud. I have a 360, Wii, and TWO PS3's. Try again?

room414 said:

on the first day.. god created the heavens and the earth and he saw that it was good. but it was filled with darkness and lacked innovation.
so on the second day.. he created light and nintendo and he saw that it was good.

it's right there in the bible man. i mean where else can everything originate from if not nintendo lol.
plus the ps hadda go get made on the fifth day. they just can't let nintendo have something for themselves, those damn copy-catters.