By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Super Mario Galaxy sells ~70,000 in first week IN THE UK !!

rocketpig said:
naznatips said:

Nintendo doesn't decide what to ship.  They ship what retailers order.  Retailers had a right to expect a small debut considering there hasn't been a single Wii game with a big first week in the UK (hence this 70K being the record).  It's absolutely reasonable that retailers only ordered 70K and just as reasonable that it's sold out because of that.

But Nintendo should have a large stock ready in every country if that's the case, meaning retailers should be out of stock for one or two days at most.

That doesn't seem to be the case from the reports I'm reading. 

Maybe they are. Even here in Portugal i`m already seeing a store restocking. A store sold out on the first day and they told my brother that they were receiving a new shipment the day after.

So, seeing as we are doing that, i doubt that the UK isn`t.

Around the Network

I think people should wait for next week's numbers before blaaming these sales on shortages.

@kuraobi: Do you actually think Nintendo sacrificed Mario to put more 3rd party games on shelves?

I remember when DQS sold less than expected 1st week in Japan, the same excuses. Retailers don't pull numbers out of their ass, especially for a big game like this, they knew there was some demand...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

ckmlb said:
I think people should wait for next week's numbers before blaaming these sales on shortages.

@kuraobi: Do you actually think Nintendo sacrificed Mario to put more 3rd party games on shelves?

I remember when DQS sold less than expected 1st week in Japan, the same excuses. Retailers don't pull numbers out of their ass, especially for a big game like this, they knew there was some demand...

If Rocketpig is right about it still being sold out than it's a production related supply issue and numbers won't be much improved next week.  Also, Dragon Quest Swords was a bad game, and although it's true it was sold out everywhere first week, after that it just sucked lol. 

Délio said:
rocketpig said:
naznatips said:

Nintendo doesn't decide what to ship.  They ship what retailers order.  Retailers had a right to expect a small debut considering there hasn't been a single Wii game with a big first week in the UK (hence this 70K being the record).  It's absolutely reasonable that retailers only ordered 70K and just as reasonable that it's sold out because of that.

But Nintendo should have a large stock ready in every country if that's the case, meaning retailers should be out of stock for one or two days at most.

That doesn't seem to be the case from the reports I'm reading. 

Maybe they are. Even here in Portugal i`m already seeing a store restocking. A store sold out on the first day and they told my brother that they were receiving a new shipment the day after.

So, seeing as we are doing that, i doubt that the UK isn`t.

That's good to hear. Nintendo not being able to supply stock for a disc game of this magnitude is inexcusable.

Hopefully it won't be an issue through the holidays.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Stop with the excuses... the game just didn't sell what you thought it would... There was no problem pressing discs... We've been doing that for years. The full playable game wasin Gamestop kiosks weeks before the game came out but they couldn't press enough disks? Be realistic. Stop making excuses. Accept it didn't sell what you thought it would, don't blame retailers for not ordering enough, and don't make the excuse that they couldn't press enough discs out. We don't know how much retailers ordered but if the game is as big as SMG, I'm sure the whole of the UK only ordered 70k units

Around the Network
ckmlb said:

ckmlb: Sorry, we have enough european users here. All say Galaxy is hard to get and you said we should wait for next week figures, for what? I didn't see ONE person saying it will sell more next week than this. People just think that either retailer understimated demand, or nintendo has supply issues. It has to be on of the two!

SMG has been selling above list price on ebay UK. Can someone give an explanation for this other than the game is sold out in places?

FishyJoe said:
SMG has been selling above list price on ebay UK. Can someone give an explanation for this other than the game is sold out in places?

Never underestimate peoples' stupidity when you combine holidays, money, and eBay.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
FishyJoe said:

Never underestimate peoples' stupidity when you combine holidays, money, and eBay.

True, but I'm looking at other current games and the same thing is not happening.

@Just_Ben: if it's one of those problems then it should do better next week.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!