By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mass Effect So Much potential for GOTY?

ckmlb said:
Mass Effect's dialogue is supposed to be its strongest quality, also the Witcher is in the 80s in scores, this isn't likely to go below 90%.

Even if the main quest is 10 hours, if it's great I'll be playing it many times over with different classes.

I'm pretty sure the game is 20-30 hours.

True with that.  Normally 12-20 hours for 1 run through would be too short... but when you've got the fact that different characters and attitudes make people act differently to you... it's got more then enough replayability to make up for it.

Around the Network
selnor said:
Lucky bugger!

Everyone knows it's story spans 3 games though right? Whereas most single story games like FF are in one game.

Do you mean that this game should be treated differently because it is trilogy and that is why it should be short? And  FF games are not that short, I still does not know why you comparing FF with Mass Effect.

BrainboxLTD: Thanks for sharing. Still I am having hard time believing that you can playtrough the game in 9 hours.

But it is still much shorter then I thought RPG should not be this short. Bioware was talking about 50 hours play time. Were they including all quests and different characters?

Yojimbo said:.

BrainboxLTD: Thanks for sharing. Still I am having hard time believing that you can playtrough the game in 9 hours.

But it is still much shorter then I thought RPG should not be this short. Bioware was talking about 50 hours play time. Were they including all quests and different characters?

Well again, second playthrough, I knew what I was doing, I went from Veteran to Easy mode, skipping dialouge I had already heard. (can't skip cutscenes) I mostly avoided the sidequests that invovled me going to so nowhere planet to drive to one building. (I ended doing a few anyways)

Getting 50 hours on your first playthrough seems like a big stretch. 40 I can see if you do every quest, read every 
codex, and hunt down every tedious mineral depoist. =P

When you restart a game with the same character, it keeps counting your time from the last game, so maybe that's 
what they meant. I just restarted on Hardcore and it says I have +25 hours because of my last playthrough with 
the character.

Other thing is it may be downloadable content. Game pesters me to get everytime I boot it up, of course there is 
none at the moment since it's not released yet. 

shio said:

Bioware have average writers and average writing, you only need to check Kotor's and Jade Empire's

NWN 2: Mask of the Betraye was developed by Obsidian, which has already been confirmed as a better RPG developer than Bioware: Kotor 2(Obsidian) was, bugs aside, superior to Kotor 1(Bioware) in every way; NWN2 (Obsidian) is vastly superior to NWN1 (Bioware)

Never say that Bioware has average writers and writering, completly untrue.

Bioware is the best WRPG developer, and KOTOR 1 is superior to KOTOR 2 in every way, have you ever played them ??

shio said:
Mass Effect looks to be a great game, but it may be overhyped like KOTOR was. This year Mass Effect has some competition for RPGOTY such as The Witcher or NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer.

Storywise and writing/dialogue wise, Mass Effect will most likely be below The Witcher and NWN2:MotB. And it's combat is limited by the 360's pads. And I heard ME isn't a big length game?

I don't think Mass Effect will be the top contestant for RPGOTY. The Witcher will be, or MotB.

Considering almost ever site gave it RPG for the E3 convention, and IGn comparing it to SMG for GOTY (dont know if score will be as high) i dont see how it can happen.

Bioware is one of the best storytelling devs you can find, go look at some of the scenes you talk to your squad, its amazing.

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
Around the Network
leo-j said:
1up says its a 12 hour story..

Reveiw sites also told me AC wasnt much longer then 10 hours, currently im 20-25 hours in with 3 assassinations left to go, its called doing side quests.

1up also can suck my balls, their reviews suck and filled with a bunch of losers at this point.

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

i dont know,smg has a better chance and 1up said its only 12 hours long

The_vagabond7 said:
It doesn't matter if there's multiple episodes in the future, THIS GAME is short. I don't count episodes 1 and 2 in Half life 2s length. The episodes have been years apart. Isn't heavenly sword only the first of a trilogy too? That doesn't change the fact that it's short.

Mass effect is anywhere but short, and i assure you mass effect gives you alot more incentive for replay

Alright for all you doubters in lenth think of it like this.

Main quest is about 10-20 hours, depending if you rush through it (1up) or actually enjoy it (regular people) Side quests i have heard add in 5-10 hours.

You then have incentive to go back and play as a ENTIRE different class, do things COMPLETELY OPPOSITE, and get a different ending. Theres huge incentive to back and play.

Games like Oblivion are extremely short if you rush through the main quest, you have to do side quests, and theres always a ton of incentive to replay that with different classes

endurance said:
i dont know,smg has a better chance and 1up said its only 12 hours long

and 1up also said that FF 7 remake was confirmed and had a release date for it.

Seriously do you really believe everything 1up says?

BTW game informer pinned it a 18-30 hours, with high replay
ENough with the danm bashing