By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why does GT5 take so long? Yoshida explains...

Credit to Fredzy from GTplanet:

Q: You are very supportive of Polyphony Digital and have given them what seems like almost unlimited time to make Gran Turismo 5. Obviously, they want to make the best game they can, but from a management perspective does it reach the point where you say enough is enough?

A: [Laughs] Well, with developers like Yamauchi-san, it may look from the outside that they spend as much time as they want, but they really do work hard to get the game done. They wish that they could release these games more frequently. But because of the pressure they put on themselves, they have been doing the best they can.

It's true that it has been five years since the last true game - Gran Turismo 4 - was released; when you look at it like that the team seems to be taking forever. But Gran Turismo is one of the faces of the Playstation brand, so they always get requests from the platform side to make technical demonstrations. Kazunori would remind you that, from Polyphony's standpoint, they have released something almost every year, like Gran Turismo HD, the one-track demo or Gran Turismo Proto or the PSP Gran Turismo. So, yes, they aren't like other developers that can release games year after year, but they are also in the situation that they have additional responsibilities to the platform. So I'm half-agreeing with your statement, but also trying to explain the situation around Gran Turismo.

It seems they simply have a lot on their plate, being forced to work on 2-3 full projects simultaneously while also working on various demos and whatnot (like the 3D demos from last year) to show off SCE's latest technology.

Of course, there's also the fact that both GT5 and GT PSP have the content of 3-4 full games.  More like 20 games, if you compare them to something like MotorStorm. 

Around the Network

That is why fans are still fans. If they delay after this year though...

A ton of games take around 4-5 years, I can think of just a few that are coming out this year (FFXIII, Alan Wake, Heavy Rain, Star Craft 2)

So far I have only been able to play Heavy Rain, is it a good game? Hell yes it is, but not 5 years in development good.. However, Quantic had to do it from scratch, so it is a good game considering they went from nothing to the game.

Kinda pissed at Squeenix for the whole "we can't have citys" in next gen games cuz a lot of game studios have done towns.. Look at Fable 2, it had a shit load of towns. (well maybe Cities and towns shouldnt be put into same context. WKC had a lot of "cities" in it though, so I don't know why FFXIII can't...

Anyhow, I've derailed this thread

Unicorns ARE real - They are just fat, grey and called Rhinos

Would rather have a very good version of a game rather than a annual crap release.

Well, they may need two disc to store the game now =)

That's Gordon Freeman in "Real-Life"