By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Developers Compete Against Each Other To Push The Console To New Heights

In the end, there will be only chaos, but in the beginning there was only fear. Fear that God of War III wouldn’t leave up to Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2’s graphical benchmark, God of War III director, Stig Asmussen said.

And he’s right, no other time in history have we seen such a good fight in the gaming industry among studios that live in the same house. The PS3 is leading the way in graphical quality, and the first party developers are outdoing themselves.

It all started in earnest with Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune. No one paid attention back then, the game did not receive the praise to so badly needed but deserved. It was, and still is one of the best looking games on any console. After it, the flood gates were opened, and while lazy devs complained about the PS3’s built, Insomniac Games, Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Kojima Productions, Guerrilla Games, Quantic Dream and Zipper Interactive were all working their hearts off to drop bombshells on the gaming industry. Guess what? It’s exactly what they did.

Resistance 2 – Insomniac Games

First Console game to feature 60 player online campaign.

Killzone 2 – Guerrilla Games

Ground breaking gameplay and graphics that set the standard for all other to follow.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of The Patriots – Kojima Productions

There’s nothing out there quite like it. It was hailed as the best game ever made, with a story so intricate yet understandable. It’s depth is something yet to be duplicated, and I suspect the only one who’ll out pace it is the creator himself: Kojimasan.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves – Naughty Dog

Need I say more? Now the fastest selling PlayStation exclusive. The recipient of Game of The Year awards from countless publications. Narrative that’s unheard of in the gaming industry – even better than a lot of what Hollywood puts out there.

Words cannot describe what Naughty Dog has achieved. Indeed, a path has been forged and now the studio is sharing all its tricks with any developer who dare take the PS3 for a ride.

MAG – Zipper Interactive

People have had many complaints about Zipper Interactive’s Massive Action Game (MAG), but one thing they all agree on is that the title is a ground breaking effort that has ushered the industry to new levels with its 256 player online campaign.

When Resistance 2 did it with 60 player all at once online, the industry was abuzz and now, Sony developers have outdone themselves all of again.

Heavy Rain – Quantic Dream

Here’s a title that has truly, and I mean truly changed gaming as we know it. No other title ever came close to achieving what Heavy Rain has. None. It is, in every sense of the word revolutionary. When last did you play a game where every action mattered? None I’m sure. Every character used will give you a totally different outcome. It’s crazy really.

But they did it. There’s so much to say about Heavy Rain that it would take pages to relay its magnificence, so I’ll simply settle with say this:

Buy the game. Do it here : )

God of War III – SCEA – Santa Monica

You save the best for last. The best wine, best food, best words. If you want something to have lasting impact, say it last. It’ll be embedded in your target audience forever.

God of War III, from what we’ve seen is truly awe-inspiring. I think Jack Tretton said it best, the game will “blot of the sun”. It’s magnitude is like none other. For four years and counting, it’s been building up to this very moment and on March 16th, we’ll have yet another reason to be proud of the gaming industry.

http://www.gamesthirst.com/2010/02/26/ps3-developers-compete-against-each-other-to-push-the-console-to-new-heights/

Around the Network

In before people start listing other non-exclusive, revolutionary games.

I survived the Apocalyps3

Posted already.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=102371&page=2#2

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.