By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - anyone else notice that the top 3 in gamerankings are nintendo games

shio said:
endurance said:

i think smg deserves it and i also think mp deserves it but your right deus ex is a great game that also deserves to be there and it isnt way better then mp

I thought it was Mario 64, my bad. SMG deserves to be high, not top10, but top20 definitely as the best platformer (IMO)

yep i think smg is the best platformer of all-time

Around the Network
leo-j said:
The reviwers that gave resistance an 8.8 or lower just played the first couple of hours. You have to play through the whole game.

I hate people that say its medicore. You dont know what medicore is. Resistance was THE BEST no IS THE BEST GAME ON THE PS3 TO THIS DATE. cod4 got nothing on resistance, same goes with the other wanna be shooters.

The only thing is that the graphics are a little outdated since it was released a year ago.

Resistance easily> MP

And banjo kazooie was better than mario 64. What a good clone.

You are clearly insane. Also unless a game sucks, or is ungodly long.  A reviewer is going to play it all the way through before reviewing it.  That's what reviewers do.

Resistance is lucky it got the review scores it did.

leo-j said:
@dtewi

Resistance does though.. I think because it was a luanch title it was dropped down. The game is amazing.

I own metroid prime, and mario 64 on n64 and the ds. Banjo kazooie is beter than mario 64. End of story :P

Actually, i'm pretty sure reviews tend to get worse during a consoles lifespan because there is more to compare them to.

Kasz216 said:
leo-j said:
@dtewi

Resistance does though.. I think because it was a luanch title it was dropped down. The game is amazing.

I own metroid prime, and mario 64 on n64 and the ds. Banjo kazooie is beter than mario 64. End of story :P

Actually, i'm pretty sure reviews tend to get worse during a consoles lifespan because there is more to compare them to.

yep the more games come out the higher the standards become

also mario galaxy became 98 again at metacritic,it once dropped to 97 but now is up agin

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
I don't think you can just look at the total score of the game and say it's the best game ever, or the second best, or third best, etc... Do you think if you put Metroid Prime 3 in front of someone who hates shooters and is into MMORPG that they would say MP3 is "better" than WoW? What about someone who only likes sports game and hates rpgs, action/adventure, etc, do you think they would feel Zelda:OOT is better than the games they play? How many people not into fighters would rank Soul Calibur as the 4th best game of all time?

Anyways I guess it's good if those are the games in genres or a particular kind of game that you like then it's meaningful, but if not the rankings don't mean much. For someone not into Nintendo games at all the rankings of their games are likely meaningless.

Well, the joy of collective review sites is it's the average of the opinions of people who play different games day in and day out. Ideally, they don't go into games with an attitude "LOL NINTENDO SUCKS BABBY FAGGORTS LOLOLOLOLOLOL"

WoW basically took EQ's formula, removed some of the grind and a lot of the difficulty, and slapped a Warcraft skin on it. If you ask an MMO nut, like a guy who has played every single one that came along, the chances of them calling WoW the best are pretty slim. It's usually a toss up between EQ1 (grind and level) and UO (PvP).

There's lots and lots of greatest games of all time lists out there, even genre specific ones. 

As far as making a top 10 list, make one for yourself. My top 10 games of all time doesn't look anything like the metacritic ones, but no one would really use our lists as definitive since we're just a couple people talking about how much we love X or Y game. Even a collective list made by 1000 beer drinking frat boys or comic book geeks or anime freaks or D&D nerds isn't going to carry much weight. This is about the closest thing we have to an objective top 100 of all time list. 

As far as Soul Calibur deserving its title as #4, I don't know. I haven't played it so I can't speak on it, and if you haven't then neither can you.

Whether you personally like Nintendo or not is irrelevant to a list like this, or any definitive all time greats list.  They've been succeeding at it since the 80s for a reason. Nostalgia only carries a game so far (see Quake 4, DOOM 3, Sonic to see how far notagia carries a bad game) and after that it's time to say respect where respect is due. 

Most would argue as Yahtzee does, that Bioshock is basically System Shock 2 "dumbed down for the console tards" and shouldn't be higher than a 90 or 92. Or that Halo is just Quake 3 without the speed or skill required. Or that FF7 should be up there, or that it shouldn't because the Ultima series is better. Where's Grim Fandago? Where's Half Life 1? King's Quest? Gran Turismo? TIE Fighter?  

The video game industry wasn't born in the era of PS1/Xbox/360/PS2 and suddenly die because that era is gone. Console gamers calling themselves hardcore is a laughable joke to the Quake3/Counter Strike/Starcraft generation of yore (1996-2001), who complained that the upcoming consoles (PS1/2 Xbox/360) basically made everything stupid and easy and simple to appeal to a broader audience (heard this argument before?). 

If anything, seeing how few games of that generation are sitting on the top 10 list should tell you just how weak of an era it was.

I'm in the same position you were back in 2001/2002. My era was ending and here comes Halo "Quake 3 for n00bs LOLOLOLOL" "Baby's first FPS ROFL" to usher in a changing of the guard. I honestly didn't get back into Nintendo until 2 months before the Wii came out.

The simple fact that they've endured change after change and era after era in an industry where 3 years old is considered "ancient" is nothing short of fucking astounding. Whether you like them or not they excel in game design and polish. They may fall apart, but not this year.  Respect where repsect is due.  

You can prefer Sony or Microsoft or any 3rd party dev., but to actively hate Nintendo is insane. They are gaming. They are the Beatles of game design. The cadillac of games, the champagne of games, the David Bowie of games. They can do everything.

Nintendo IS video games.

My personal list would be crazy different though, and would probably have SMB1, SMB3, Link's Awakening, Melee, Portal, StarCraft, Half-Life, Wii Sports, and Katamari at the top.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

Reviewers do have a bias towards certain styles, which no doubt effects the all-time rankings. But I'm not surprised that Legend11 can't just take this for what it is, and feels the need to point out the existence of personal taste as if no one knew such a thing existed.

I personally think Metroid Prime is far from the "third best game of all time," but I understand its ranking. Remember that in the NES/SNES generations, the Metroid franchise was second only to Zelda in it's impact on free-roaming games. Metroid and Super Metroid were platformers where you weren't tied to a path or a succession of levels, but had to explore an open world to discover how to progress through it. Both are considered massive landmarks, and if you check "best game ever" lists from various enthusiast websites and magazines, you'll often see Super Metroid ranked as the #1 game of all time. Metroid Prime was said to perfectly recreate the brilliance of Metroid in 3D, and fittingly ended up ranked below only Zelda in 3D.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

OoT should so be #1 still

Nintendo's games really are some of the best when it comes to quality and broad appeal. Pity there are people who feel threatened by this. Typically when reviews like these favor 360 or PS3 games, they're hailed as god's truth but when a trend like this emerges in favor of Nintendo we suddenly have to reminded that reviewers have biases too and personal taste is a discerning factor. *shakes head* Ah, the games we play on these forums.

If its any piece of mind, reviews like these are little more than bragging rights, not the make or break of a console's future.