By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Atlus announces upcoming 360 games.

Kasz216 said:
Lost tears of Kain said:
Kasz216 said:
Lost tears of Kain said:
Kasz216 said:
Seriously... why are action RPGs and Regular RPGS and Strategy RPGS lumped together on this site?

Action RPGS have more in common with Zelda games then they do "normal" RPGs.

Do you mean western rpgs, Strategy rpgs, and Japanese rpgs?

They are all in the RPG catagory

They don't deserve to be though.  Action RPGs. (which i guess you consider Western RPGS?) are just Action/Adventure games where the developer decided to go the extra mile.  There is almost no difference between them and games like Zelda.

When talking about the best RPGs on a system, Action RPGs and Regular RPGS should definitly be different categories.

No actually action rpgs (oblivion, mass effect, White knight) are RPGS, they contain the exact same things in JRPG, just are action based.

What games are action based to you, cause all the games weve listed can be listed as RPG (except maybe fall out?)

Zelda could almost be, but Link doesnt lvl up, doesnt really get new equipment, doesnt really change as a character as much. If you count Zelda a RPG, then so is bioshock =/

Which is why I don't consider them RPGS. Nor do I consider Action RPGS RPGS. 

I consider them Action Adventure games with RPG traits.  The core gameplay is what should be what places it in a genre... and Action RPGS play more like Zelda then they do traditional RPGs.

Look at modern sports games.  You "level up" in those.  Nobody calls them Sports RPGs.  Even games like Power Pros where you can even equip items.

RPGS=role playing games

Now in the action RPGS, they are NO different from turn based RPGS except that the gameplay is in LIVE action.

Zelda is a action game with rpg traits, and they play like RPGS or are based more on RPGS then action.

Level up was an example, we we see a deep plot in those sports games, characters facing tragedys, or forming alliances. Not really.

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Kasz216 said:
Seriously... why are action RPGs and Regular RPGS and Strategy RPGS lumped together on this site?

It's the stats and number crunching that groups them together, as they all have roots in tabletop games, while Zelda has roots in playing around in backyards.

World of Warcraft's roots are a bunch of Real Time Strategy games. World of Warcraft is still an MMORPG not a Real Time Strategy game.

Games should be grouped by their gameplay.

The stats are at the root of the gameplay. That's the common element that links the RPG subgenres. And the gameplay of WoW makes it an RPG, not the gameplay of the rest of the franchise. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Kasz216 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Kasz216 said:

It's the stats and number crunching that groups them together, as they all have roots in tabletop games, while Zelda has roots in playing around in backyards. 

World of Warcraft's roots are a bunch of Real Time Strategy games.  World of Warcraft is still an MMORPG not a Real Time Strategy game.

They should and they are.

RPGS have alot more gameplay linking to RPG then action, so they are put under RPG

Its like mass effect, the action may be first person shooter, but no one really considers it a first person shooter, and if it was they would be missing the entire genre the creator was creating it for

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Y'know the 360 could just prove once and for all whether RPGs really determine the winning console. If only a handful of the current 360 owners buy all these RPGs, and few will because face it if blue dragon had been released on the ps2 it would have hit near FFXII numbers, and not many people are moved by the sheer number of RPGs slated for the 360 then obviously the old adage has been debunked.

Nintendownsmii said:
Y'know the 360 could just prove once and for all whether RPGs really determine the winning console. If only a handful of the current 360 owners buy all these RPGs, and few will because face it if blue dragon had been released on the ps2 it would have hit near FFXII numbers, and not many people are moved by the sheer number of RPGs slated for the 360 then obviously the old adage has been debunked.

Yes blue dragon would of, because of japan. America has never really liked cartoonish JRPGS, its why dragon quest has never been big here, and why FF has done well.

Around the Network

mrstickball said:
Carlos -

The reason I said that is for every single RPG you've mentioned coming out for the Wii, I don't see one that'll sell over 1 million units.

The Wii RPGs, thus far, lack any sort of quality. Exactly what one is going to be huge? Pokemon is first party, and hasn't sold well on consoles since day one. Final Fantasty Spinoffs never do awesome, and the rest might end up like Dragon Fable or Zack & Wiki.

Half of the X360 RPGs are mediocre like the Wii titles, but then you have Fable, Fallout, Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, and Last Remnant that will most likely do well.

And yet again: whats the Wii's biggest RPG that it's snagged so far? I can't name one. The DS certainly has had alot of succuess, but that's not the Wii.

Roffle. And this is supposed to be sales site.

Firstly, I don't really know how the Wii RPGs lack quality when none of them have been released. Quite the fanboyish statement.  Only 2 have come out, one which got overlooked and the other, Dragon Quest Swords, which Japan ate up anyway. It's nice to see the blatant double standards though, for DQS to get slapped around as "not quality" but to see another SE game, an unproven IP like The Last Remnant, held on a pedestal of quality when no one has played it.

Second, half of the games carlos mentioned have done over a million in previous iterations. Tales has done it, Chocobo's Dungeon did it in Japan alone, Monster Hunter did it, FFCC did it whether you want to admit it or not.

Thirdly, biggest RPG Wii snagged? Um, hello? TALES? MONSTER HUNTER? Do you people even PLAY RPGs? These are bigger than ANY of the JRPGs 360 has so far.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

ClaudeLv250 said:

mrstickball said:
Carlos -

The reason I said that is for every single RPG you've mentioned coming out for the Wii, I don't see one that'll sell over 1 million units.

The Wii RPGs, thus far, lack any sort of quality. Exactly what one is going to be huge? Pokemon is first party, and hasn't sold well on consoles since day one. Final Fantasty Spinoffs never do awesome, and the rest might end up like Dragon Fable or Zack & Wiki.

Half of the X360 RPGs are mediocre like the Wii titles, but then you have Fable, Fallout, Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, and Last Remnant that will most likely do well.

And yet again: whats the Wii's biggest RPG that it's snagged so far? I can't name one. The DS certainly has had alot of succuess, but that's not the Wii.

Firstly, I don't really know how the Wii RPGs lack quality when none of them have been released. Quite the fanboyish statement.  Only 2 have come out, one which got overlooked and the other, Dragon Quest Swords, which Japan ate up anyway. It's nice to see the blatant double standards though, for DQS to get slapped around as "not quality" but to see another SE game, an unproven IP like The Last Remnant, held on a pedestal of quality when no one has played it.

Second, half of the games carlos mentioned have done over a million in previous iterations. Tales has done it, Chocobo's Dungeon did it in Japan alone, Monster Hunter did it, FFCC did it whether you want to admit it or not.

Thirdly, biggest RPG Wii snagged? Um, hello? TALES? MONSTER HUNTER? Do you people even PLAY RPGs? These are bigger than ANY of the JRPGs 360 has so far.

wow who pissed you off so bad.

Alrigh first, you even admited that wii has no quality titles out, RIGHT NOW, unreleased we cant say, and he meant right now. DQS is most likely not seen as a huge project for SE, Last remnant yes.

Those will have a good chance of hitting 1 million, just hope that huge wide demography or lack of sales for core games doesnt hurt it.

And those games are hyped like Lost odyssey, Last remnant and Infinite?

Lost tears of Kain said:
ClaudeLv250 said:

mrstickball said:
Carlos -

Alrigh first, you even admited that wii has no quality titles out, RIGHT NOW, unreleased we cant say, and he meant right now. DQS is most likely not seen as a huge project for SE, Last remnant yes.

Those will have a good chance of hitting 1 million, just hope that huge wide demography or lack of sales for core games doesnt hurt it.

Well if your counting Strategy RPGs there is always Fire Emblem which just released.  Fire Emblem games are always quality.

LordTheNightKnight said:
Kasz216 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Kasz216 said:

World of Warcraft's roots are a bunch of Real Time Strategy games. World of Warcraft is still an MMORPG not a Real Time Strategy game.

The stats are at the root of the gameplay. That's the common element that links the RPG subgenres. And the gameplay of WoW makes it an RPG, not the gameplay of the rest of the franchise. 

The stats are at the route of all sports games as well.  Which go up and down in the main modes of sports games.  Action RPGs really shouldn't be an RPG sub Genre and should be it's own thing because the gameplay is far more active then any other. 

For example.  Future Tactics last generation was a turn based 3rd person shooter.  There were no stats from what i remember.  No leveling up.  Not much upgrading aside from picking up upgrade packs.  Yet that's treated as a strategy game instead of a FPS/TPS shooter, because it plays like a turn based game.

The reason being... strategy fans are much more likely to enjoy it then FPS fans.

Just how action straight adventure fans are actually more likely to enjoy Action RPGS then straight RPG fans.

Lost tears of Kain said:
ClaudeLv250 said:

mrstickball said:
Carlos -

I didn't say "Wii has no quality titles out," I said those games aren't out so no one can claim that they aren't "quality." It's one of the dumbest arguments I've ever seen on this forum because there's no thought or substantial grounds for a debate. No ones played half of these games therefore no one can go strutting around on their little high-horse deeming which games are and aren't "qaulity." The same goes for the 360 RPGs, if anything all the new unproven IPs are something to be cautious about, they shouldn't be hailed as the second coming already. You'd think Lair would have taught people something by now.

And Last Remnant certainly isn't a "huge" project. DQS may have been a side game but Dragon Quest is still one of SE's pillars, The Last Remnant is a new IP testing the waters. It's not going to turn the industry upside down and I'll be surprised if it breaks 700k. SE's new IPs haven't been doing that well recently.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"