By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Heavy Rain - The console equivalent to point-and-click

I've been seeing a lot of people trying to define Heavy Rain and bad-mouth it for its quick-time-events. After playing it myself now, I can pretty much say Sony and Quantic Dream has successfully pulled the point-and-click adventure from the PC, twisted the controls to work on consoles, and created a new genre. Not sure what we can call it since Hunt and Press sounds like crap.

Name the genre, post your opinions.

warning - some minor spoilers posted in this thread.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

I agree completely. Anyone who has played old PC adventure games will love this game.
Although I can understand why people who grew up playing consoles, or only play FPS might hate this game though.

new-adventure
interactive adventure

i'll try to think up some more later

kowenicki said:
I have played dozens and dozens of traditional adventure games from years back (back to scott adams adventures). Heavy rain is an old fashioned adventure game in a nice dress... said it a while ago.

I am interested to see if the consequences of action/non action are stark when i play it though.

not really. It's a revolutionary experience. It's not like point and click. you literally feel you are alive inside the world, its the most emersive experience i've ever had. Fantastic game design.

kowenicki said:
I have played dozens and dozens of traditional adventure games from years back (back to scott adams adventures). Heavy rain is an old fashioned adventure game in a nice dress... said it a while ago.

I am interested to see if the consequences of action/non action are stark when i play it though.

Your actions can change a ton. There are 22 different endings.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

^pointless? how so?

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
ssj12 said:
kowenicki said:

Your actions can change a ton. There are 22 different endings.

i realise that and I will probably play through a few times to see how it works out...

but i meant immediate consequences.  i.e. during the fight scene in the demo at the prostitutes place... it all seemed a bit pointless.

idk, your character might die in the scene if he loses or due to a weakened state die later. I figure even answering rudely to people probably will change the ending.

kowenicki said:
gekkokamen said:
^pointless? how so?

well if i missed any of the prompts it just meant the fight lasted a bit longer... it seemed to just be waiting for me to win the fight,.

well,  Scott Shelby doesn't have to "win" that fight necessarily, and the bald guy will leave anyway. It's was not written to be relevant either way. What's pointless about that?

It's an Adventure game... you don't have to give it any other title because if fits that genre very well... I think the owner has a different name for it though... like interactive fiction or something along those lines

Is there a single videogame where your actions and choices influence the story, and you have total freedom over your character?

@kowenicki

yeah, that fight doesn't matter. Not everything matters in life. Not every situation is life-threatening or life-changing.