By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft believes it “will outsell the PS3 in 2010,'' says Greenberg

lol wut =)

Around the Network
numonex said:
Xoj said:
numonex said:

1 a. Heavy Rain will not sell over 1 million copies ltd. White Knight Chronicles and M.A.G. probably have more chance of selling 1 million copies ltd than Heavy Rain.
b. Final Fantasy XIII will not push console sales as much as Grand Theft Auto 4 for either system. It is a JRPG. WRPGs sell more than JRPGs.
c. God of War 3 will have little impact on system sales. One or two weeks, slight boost in PS3 sales it is not in the same league as Halo, MGS, COD or any high profile game series.
d. Gran Turismo 5 it is a 50% chance of being released in 2010 and 50% chance of not being released in 2010. This game has been delayed so many times, it was supposed to be released 2008, 2009, 2010? It keeps getting pushed back. Gran Turismo 5 is turning into the XBox 360 Alan Wake- a high profiled game which keeps getting hold back. Developers still hard at work finishing the game but you have to wait. PS3 needs Gran turismo 5. IMO Gran Turismo 5 will be the PS3s saviour.

2. Price cuts is the key for the XBox 360. Microsoft can afford to drop the 360 SKU prices down further. $199 Elite XBox 360 would be very nice. Arcade 360 could be sold for $149. 360 reaching 5 years in Novemeber 2010. Time to go for broke and push the console sales. Natal will sell for between $50 and $80- very affordable for the average gamer. Only one Natal is needed for multiple gamers on the XBox 360. You need a Wii mote and Sony Arc for every single gamer who uses those systems.

I hope you are wrong and the 360 outsells the PS3 worldwide in 2010. 360 just has to match the PS3 sales total and sell one extra unit. I would still claim that as a victory.

HAHAHAHAHA ps3 sales of ff13 alone will out sell mass effect 2 x2 :p

Mass effect 2 will sell between 3 and 4 million sales ltd. FFXIII to sell between 6 and 8 million on PS3 alone? I will take that bet. 1 month avatar control for the winner. You clearly said FFXIII (PS3 sales) will sell double the ltd sales of Mass effect 2.

well don't take things as, my point was ff13 is going to outsell mass effect 2 by a land side,  and it have only been released in japan with over 1.9 million only in japan.

i would take the bet if  wasn't a multiplatform title, i dont know how 360 version will dent on ps3 sales.

SE goal it's over 6 million worldwide, and it may get close to that only on the ps3.

LTD may be around 6-7 million with both consoles.

This game will sell mostly because of it's name. I think it will sell roughly 4 - 6 Million in US on the PS3 and Xbox. :o

numonex said:

1 a. Heavy Rain will not sell over 1 million copies ltd. White Knight Chronicles and M.A.G. probably have more chance of selling 1 million copies ltd than Heavy Rain.
b. Final Fantasy XIII will not push console sales as much as Grand Theft Auto 4 for either system. It is a JRPG. WRPGs sell more than JRPGs.
c. God of War 3 will have little impact on system sales. One or two weeks, slight boost in PS3 sales it is not in the same league as Halo, MGS, COD or any high profile game series.
d. Gran Turismo 5 it is a 50% chance of being released in 2010 and 50% chance of not being released in 2010. This game has been delayed so many times, it was supposed to be released 2008, 2009, 2010? It keeps getting pushed back. Gran Turismo 5 is turning into the XBox 360 Alan Wake- a high profiled game which keeps getting hold back. Developers still hard at work finishing the game but you have to wait. PS3 needs Gran turismo 5. IMO Gran Turismo 5 will be the PS3s saviour.

a) MAG will definitely pass 1mil - it'll be at 600k when software comes in at the end of the week. Heavy Rain is getting a substantial advertising push (inc. even TV ads) so again that should pass 1mil before the year's up. WKC has the hardest time; it's stuck at about 360k in Japan and has 110k from two weeks in America and should get another jump when it launches in Europe shortly, but at best it'll crawl to 900k/1mil.

b) FFXIII has already pushed more consoles than GTAIV ever did. It boosted PS3 to 240k in Japan on launch, with 118k second week, 127k third week.

c) No one ever suggested GOW3 would push hardware like MGS. Nonetheless, considering there's also a hardware bundle available, it should give a more than respectable bump of 20-30k units, a bump a little higher than Mass Effect 2, to put it in perspective.

d) Gran Turismo 5 has 100% chance of releasing in 2010. It's Sony's answer to Natal; hence the pushing back to this holiday season.

Xoj said:

SE goal it's over 6 million worldwide, and it may get close to that only on the ps3.

LTD may be around 6-7 million with both consoles.

No, their stated "goal" is 10m worldwide.  It was the same for FFVII (basically made it) and FFX (not close).

Around the Network
wholikeswood said:

b) FFXIII has already pushed more consoles than GTAIV ever did. It boosted PS3 to 240k in Japan on launch, with 118k second week, 127k third week.

Uh... I think you can attribute that 3rd week mainly to the holiday bump...

numonex said:
Xoj said:
numonex said:

2. Price cuts is the key for the XBox 360. Microsoft can afford to drop the 360 SKU prices down further. $199 Elite XBox 360 would be very nice. Arcade 360 could be sold for $149. 360 reaching 5 years in Novemeber 2010. Time to go for broke and push the console sales. Natal will sell for between $50 and $80- very affordable for the average gamer. Only one Natal is needed for multiple gamers on the XBox 360. You need a Wii mote and Sony Arc for every single gamer who uses those systems.

I hope you are wrong and the 360 outsells the PS3 worldwide in 2010. 360 just has to match the PS3 sales total and sell one extra unit. I would still claim that as a victory.

HAHAHAHAHA ps3 sales of ff13 alone will out sell mass effect 2 x2 :p

Mass effect 2 will sell between 3 and 4 million sales ltd. FFXIII to sell between 6 and 8 million on PS3 alone? I will take that bet. 1 month avatar control for the winner. You clearly said FFXIII (PS3 sales) will sell double the ltd sales of Mass effect 2.

It won't be 2x, but it should manage 1.5x  or slightly higher quite easily.

ME2 is currently at ~1.4mil.

FFXIII PS3 already has ~1.9mil from Japan.

Assuming it opens to 700k in America and 500k in Europe for its first month, it'll be (and this is very rough) 3.1mil vs. 1.8mil, and then some time down the line perhaps 4mil vs. 2.3mil.

jarrod said:
wholikeswood said:

Oh no, my whole argument collapses!!!!1111

Yeah, I know the holiday bump comes around New Year for Japan and that that is heavily responsible for the 127k, but FFXIII still inflated those sales because an awful lot of Japanese gamers picking up a PS3 console that week would have been doing it for FFXIII - they were just waiting for money from their parents for that special holiday week/waiting for that week when their parents would pick them up a PS3&FFXIII.

Microsoft only wants to look at numbers they want to look at, and likes to think that america is the whole world while its not.

wholikeswood said:
jarrod said:
wholikeswood said:

Oh no, my whole argument collapses!!!!1111

Yeah, I know the holiday bump comes around New Year for Japan and that that is heavily responsible for the 127k, but FFXIII still inflated those sales because an awful lot of Japanese gamers picking up a PS3 console that week would have been doing it for FFXIII - they were just waiting for money from their parents for that special holiday week/waiting for that week when their parents would pick them up a PS3&FFXIII.

Just saying, it's hard to make such a direct comparison to hardware gains from a game that launches in mid April to a game that launches in mid-December.  It's very much apples/oranges.

I'd agree that FFXIII pushed more hardware, but it also had a lot of things going in it's favor (platform exclusivity, limited edition hardware bundle, holiday season).  If you wanted to drive the point home moreso, just compare the FFXIII demo bump (from FFVIIACC) to GTA4 (it was bigger too, lol).