By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are save games so big on the PS3?

Here is a question for you all to bark over. I was recently in a store browsing games when I came across a game for the PS3. It was Full Auto 2 Battlelines. I looked on the back of the box and it said that a save game is a MINIMUM of 2GB! How can this be? Is some data put on the HD for faster loading times?. I don't own a PS3 but would like to hear from someone who does...

Good to see this site is still going 

Around the Network

Its not a saved game. Its game data to make loadiing times faster. The actual save files are like 100(+/-)kb

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said: Its not a saved game. Its game data to make loadiing times faster. The actual save files are like 100(+/-)kb
Right, so it's to reduce loading times...I guess the HDD will fill up fast then if you have a few games like this .

Good to see this site is still going 

Quartz said: ssj12 said: Its not a saved game. Its game data to make loadiing times faster. The actual save files are like 100(+/-)kb Right, so it's to reduce loading times...I guess the HDD will fill up fast then if you have a few games like this .
Well, it's up to the developer... MotorStorm for example uses less than 1MB but when you download the update it goes to 22 MB. To be honest, i don't mind using 22 MB on a better game. And if you need more space, you can just upgrade the HDD.

Kamahl said: Well, it's up to the developer... MotorStorm for example uses less than 1MB but when you download the update it goes to 22 MB. To be honest, i don't mind using 22 MB on a better game. And if you need more space, you can just upgrade the HDD.
Just as a question, didn't a lot of PS2 fans put down Microsoft's entry into the console market claiming that Microsoft would lead to people needing to upgrade their systems and download patches for games?

Around the Network

HappySqurriel said: Just as a question, didn't a lot of PS2 fans put down Microsoft's entry into the console market claiming that Microsoft would lead to people needing to upgrade their systems and download patches for games?
I don't know, i didn't even have a PS2 back in 2001/2002. Seems like you are trying to start something so i'll just leave it there.

Don't forget all the bitching over the 2 versions of the 360, or the complaining about a multimedia machine as opposed yo dedicated console. And of course the issue of price

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Kamahl said: I don't know, i didn't even have a PS2 back in 2001/2002. Seems like you are trying to start something so i'll just leave it there.
I'm not trying to start something, I just thought that it was interesting ...

HappySqurriel said: Kamahl said: Well, it's up to the developer... MotorStorm for example uses less than 1MB but when you download the update it goes to 22 MB. To be honest, i don't mind using 22 MB on a better game. And if you need more space, you can just upgrade the HDD. Just as a question, didn't a lot of PS2 fans put down Microsoft's entry into the console market claiming that Microsoft would lead to people needing to upgrade their systems and download patches for games?
I remember seeing ALOT of Sony people complain even upto CoD2 and Oblivion on 360, that MS was forcing online so much that companies would release half-cocked games and patch them to death once the games were out ala-PC. Now PS3s are doing it, and I would think Wii will at some point too.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

while many ps2 people were saying that, i don't think ps2 fan necessarily equals ps3 or sony fan at all.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X