By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Soma Bringer New DS RPG

LINK:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3164391

ARTICLE:

Monolith Software DS RPG, Soma Bringer

Xenosaga creators tackling the handheld.
By Yoshi Sato, 11/14/2007
In this week's Famitsu, the folks behind of Xenosaga, Monolith Software has revealed its latest action RPG titled Soma Bringer for Nintendo DS.

Players select from one of seven characters, fighting against enemies called "The Visitors." You can assign different attacks onto the four buttons to use strategically during battle. As you gain experience points, you can distribute them onto your stats and combining abilities will also create new ones. Plus, Up to three players can join the game for some co-op play through the DS Wi-Fi feature.

Published by Nintendo, Soma Bringer is scheduled for a 2008 release in Japan.

OPINION:

"The more the merrier"

I've been waiting ages for a nice long rpg to bite into. It seems like nowadays games are getting way way to short for my taste.  RPG's in general use to takes weeks or months back in the days (Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy 7/8), but now most console games can be completed with one rental which is dissapointing. Metroid Prime 3/Heavenly Sword, im looking at you. So im looking foward to this game even tho we might not get it until late 2008.  

Around the Network

Sounds great, I might have to swallow my pride and just buy a DS..

I'm not holding my breath. Pretty much every RPG on the DS has been either mediocre or poor thus far. I'd love for something to buck that trend, but we'll see.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

SeriousWB said:
Sounds great, I might have to swallow my pride and just buy a DS..

I would wait a bit for the next redesign, but then again that could be a 3-4 year wait depending on how popular the ds lite continues to remain.

@Garcian Smith

I'm not holding my breath. Pretty much every RPG on the DS has been either mediocre or poor thus far. I'd love for something to buck that trend, but we'll see.

Yea, the ds does have alot of half baked rpgs. The last memorable one I remember enjoying was probably mario and luigi partners in time but that was a long while back.  FF3 was terrible and left a bad taste in my mouth (cuz i eat games) and Heroes of Mana was more rts than rpg. Archaic Sealed Heat is probably the only other rpg im looking foward to in the future. That game looks amazing.

I'm keeping my eye on this one.

I've been waiting ages for a nice long rpg to bite into. It seems like nowadays games are getting way way to short for my taste. RPG's in general use to takes weeks or months back in the days (Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy 7/8), but now most console games can be completed with one rental which is dissapointing. Metroid Prime 3/Heavenly Sword, im looking at you. So im looking foward to this game even tho we might not get it until late 2008.

What I find ironic besides comparing RPGs to non-RPGs is that MP3 is still longer than most Metroid games to begin with.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Around the Network
ClaudeLv250 said:

I've been waiting ages for a nice long rpg to bite into. It seems like nowadays games are getting way way to short for my taste. RPG's in general use to takes weeks or months back in the days (Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy 7/8), but now most console games can be completed with one rental which is dissapointing. Metroid Prime 3/Heavenly Sword, im looking at you. So im looking foward to this game even tho we might not get it until late 2008.

What I find ironic besides comparing RPGs to non-RPGs is that MP3 is still longer than most Metroid games to begin with.

lol no way! No offence but  Metroid Prime 3 felt like the shortest metroid game ever. If you've played super metroid, metroid fusion, or any of the prime games, you'd know that it would take 2x-3x longer to complete any of the classics. Mainly because of exploration and difficulty, both apparently lacking in MP3.

flamevizier_34 said:
ClaudeLv250 said:

lol no way! No offence but  Metroid Prime 3 felt like the shortest metroid game ever. If you've played super metroid, metroid fusion, or any of the prime games, you'd know that it would take 2x-3x longer to complete any of the classics. Mainly because of exploration and difficulty, both apparently lacking in MP3.

lol no.

I play SM/MF/ZM on a daily basis, all of which can be beaten in 2-3 hours on a normal playthrough. That's no where near 2-3 times longer than MP3, which took me 15hrs my first time, only about 3-5 hours shorter than MP1/2. Still longer than the majority of Metroid games.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"