Quantcast
Petition : 'Universal Rating System' for METACRITIC.

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Petition : 'Universal Rating System' for METACRITIC.

Do you want a Universal Rating System for Metacritic ?

Yes 22 34.38%
 
No 21 32.81%
 
I don't care 21 32.81%
 
Total:64

Hi everybody, I need some help from all of you, to build a 'Universal Rating System', and I say thank you to those members who ispired me, in particular way eva01beserk and Aeolus451.

Post here your own 'Universal Rating System', your ideas, and explain why I should choose yours, and why it would better fit in METACRITIC.

Once we have all these 'Universal Rating System', let's try to choose one, like it is, or we might modify it a bit according to our taste and opinions, and post it on other sites like Neogaf to get the word rolling.

Let's start :

1) Our Petition now,

2) Post your  'Universal Rating System' and why we should consider yours, give motivations. 

3) Once all interested members have posted their own  'Universal Rating System', and we all have discussed about, we should come to a conclusion and choose one  'Universal Rating System'.

4) Then we need a writer, an author, who will write an article about Our  Petition, our 'Universal Rating System', and why we came to this, our motivation, to make METACRITIC more reliable.

5) Let's post The Article on other sites like Neogaf to get the word rolling.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is my 'Universal Rating System' :

1) Graphics/Art Design/Performance/glitches

2) Sound/Music

3) Game-play and Controls.

4) Story/Story telling

5) Longevity/Value/Generic Bugs/features/MP

Now what's more important ?  Game-play and Controls ? Longevity/Value ? And by how much ?  Graphics/Art Design/Performance/glitches is less important than Story ? Also notice that all subjects are linked to other subjects.  I explain better : What happens if the core of Gameplay and controls is very well done but your engine slow down to 15fps in very busy situation ? The game experience is penalized, compromised; so point 3) is linked to point 1); but also linked to point 5) : The value of a game.  And what about Graphics fidelity/image quality, music and sound ? They sure might help a lot in creating a better Story Telling, and a more immersive experience.  So, how can I suggest Point 3) Game-play and Controls should weigh 10% more than point 5) Longevity/Value/Generic Bugs/features/MP, 15% more than point 1) Graphics/Art Design/Performance/glitches and 20% more than point 2) Sound/Music ? Just to make an example. Everybody has a slighty different opinion about it.  So, I will make it very simple, giving some extra freedom to Reviewers :

My 'Universal Rating System' :  Assign a Score from 10 to 100 to every Point from 1) to 5), make the exact average, then add or subtract up to a 5% at your discretion, and you have the Final Score.

Example :  The Evil Within, Review Score by me :

1) Graphics/Art Design/Performance/glitches ---> 75%

2) Sound/Music ---> 73%

3) Game-play and Controls ---> 88%

4) Story/Story telling ---> 75%

5) Longevity/Value/Generic Bugs/features/MP ---> 60%

The Average is 74/100, but I liked so much the Gameplay that I want to add a full 5%, so my Final Score is 79/100.   

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now it's your turn.



”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Around the Network

If you don't like how metacritic does things just don't look at it.



Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Ka-pi96 said:
If you don't like how metacritic does things just don't look at it.

Why not a try to improve it ?



”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Nate4Drake said:
Ka-pi96 said:
If you don't like how metacritic does things just don't look at it.

Why not a try to improve it ?

Because there are better things to spend your time on that you actually have a chance of being successful with?



Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Ka-pi96 said:
Nate4Drake said:
Ka-pi96 said:
If you don't like how metacritic does things just don't look at it.

Why not a try to improve it ?

Because there are better things to spend your time on that you actually have a chance of being successful with?

It does not take much time;

And if you don't try, you will never know.



”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Around the Network

Why not create your own website that competes with metacritic, would it not be easier



old skool

I'm not too sure that Metacritic is the bad guy here, actually. I think it's some/most reviewers not knowing what makes a game good/bad and can't therefore articulate their feelings in a way for the rest of us to understand. That, and the fact that publishers assign bonuses according to the Metacritic. But in none of these cases are Metacritic, the site, really to blame.

Reviewers really should have at the very least have a basic education in game theory (or something) to be allowed to score a game. And I'm talking about professional reviewers now, not Average Joe and his game blog.



I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Nate4Drake said:

Hi everybody, I need some help from all of you, to build a 'Universal Rating System', and I say thank you to those members who ispired me, in particular way eva01beserk and Aeolus451.

Post here your own 'Universal Rating System', your ideas, and explain why I should choose yours, and why it would better fit in METACRITIC.

Once we have all these 'Universal Rating System', let's try to choose one, like it is, or we might modify it a bit according to our taste and opinions, and post it on other sites like Neogaf to get the word rolling.

Let's start :

1) Our Petition now,

2) Post your  'Universal Rating System' and why we should consider yours, give motivations. 

3) Once all interested members have posted their own  'Universal Rating System', and we all have discussed about, we should come to a conclusion and choose one  'Universal Rating System'.

4) Then we need a writer, an author, who will write an article about Our  Petition, our 'Universal Rating System', and why we came to this, our motivation, to make METACRITIC more reliable.

5) Let's post The Article on other sites like Neogaf to get the word rolling.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is my 'Universal Rating System' :

1) Graphics/Art Design/Performance/glitches

2) Sound/Music

3) Game-play and Controls.

4) Story/Story telling

5) Longevity/Value/Generic Bugs/features/MP

Now what's more important ?  Game-play and Controls ? Longevity/Value ? And by how much ?  Graphics/Art Design/Performance/glitches is less important than Story ? Also notice that all subjects are linked to other subjects.  I explain better : What happens if the core of Gameplay and controls is very well done but your engine slow down to 15fps in very busy situation ? The game experience is penalized, compromised; so point 3) is linked to point 1); but also linked to point 5) : The value of a game.  And what about Graphics fidelity/image quality, music and sound ? They sure might help a lot in creating a better Story Telling, and a more immersive experience.  So, how can I suggest Point 3) Game-play and Controls should weigh 10% more than point 5) Longevity/Value/Generic Bugs/features/MP, 15% more than point 1) Graphics/Art Design/Performance/glitches and 20% more than point 2) Sound/Music ? Just to make an example. Everybody has a slighty different opinion about it.  So, I will make it very simple, giving some extra freedom to Reviewers :

My 'Universal Rating System' :  Assign a Score from 10 to 100 to every Point from 1) to 5), make the exact average, then add or subtract up to a 5% at your discretion, and you have the Final Score.

Example :  The Evil Within, Review Score by me :

1) Graphics/Art Design/Performance/glitches ---> 75%

2) Sound/Music ---> 73%

3) Game-play and Controls ---> 88%

4) Story/Story telling ---> 75%

5) Longevity/Value/Generic Bugs/features/MP ---> 60%

The Average is 74/100, but I liked so much the Gameplay that I want to add a full 5%, so my Final Score is 79/100.   

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now it's your turn.


I get what you are trying to do, but I don't think it will change anything. That would cause Metacritic to try to enforce other sites to all use the same rating system, in some cases they are known because of the rating systems they use and people visit them because of that. 

Best case scenario everyone complies and it makes no different for ratings of games anyway because they are just critics opinions on games. 

Worst case scenario few of the sites comply and Metacritic looses the ability to post these sites scores which deminishes the effectiveness of Metacritic in general and then Metacritic looses traffic and it actually hurts their site.



Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Not just for metacritic, but I concur with this petition for all review sites.



Metacritic just pools ratings and gives certain sites more weight than others. They don't actually control what rating system sites use.