Quantcast
What is AMD's equivalent of the 980?

Forums - PC Discussion - What is AMD's equivalent of the 980?

fatslob-:O said:
JEMC said:

It could be...

By the way, TSMC doesn't mention AMD in the short list of 16nm FinFET adopters and that, paired with the fact that GloFo and Samsung have a partnership for a 14nm process has lead to some speculation.

Since their split, AMD has had a contract with GloFo to buy "X" (I don't know how many) waffers each year, but since almost the begining AMD hasn't reached that level of demand so they have been paying them a compensation for basically nothing while buying from TSMC. And now GloFo will have a more advanced process than TSMC with the 14nm but also with the 20nm one as they have access to Samsung's expertise on that node. Get both things together, add the fact that TSMC hasn't delivered on their schedules for the last node jumps, and you can see how AMD could skip TSMC althogether from their 20 and 14nm products and go back to GloFo.

But of course, it's just speculation.

First off, it's just a short list of partners ...

Second, it's possible that AMD are looking towards Global Foundries to manufacture their future graphics chips. 

Third, I doubt that either Samsung or Global Foundries are developing a 20nm node so they'll probably have to look at TSMC for the time being until the pair can ramp up their 14nm process node for mass production. They just skipped 20nm altogether and it will be short lived on TSMC's part too. 

1-Yes, it's a list of their 16nm FinFET process partners, but it's "curious" to see Nvidia on that list but not AMD.

2-Nothing else to say.

3-Samsung already manufactures nand/other chips on their own facilities using a 20nm process, they don't need to develop it. That's why I said GloFo could use their experience with that node. And AMD is looking forward that 20nm process for the XboxOne and PS4 APUs as noted by a beyond3D posts picked by Eurogamer.



Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
JEMC said:

 

3-Samsung already manufactures nand/other chips on their own facilities using a 20nm process, they don't need to develop it. That's why I said GloFo could use their experience with that node. And AMD is looking forward that 20nm process for the XboxOne and PS4 APUs as noted by a beyond3D posts picked by Eurogamer.

Developing a node for a memory technology is different from a node for general logic ... 

Compared to logic, NAND memory chips are more specialized and have a simpler structure, therefore they are easier to achieve density scaling ...



fatslob-:O said:
JEMC said:

 

3-Samsung already manufactures nand/other chips on their own facilities using a 20nm process, they don't need to develop it. That's why I said GloFo could use their experience with that node. And AMD is looking forward that 20nm process for the XboxOne and PS4 APUs as noted by a beyond3D posts picked by Eurogamer.

Developing a node for a memory technology is different from a node for general logic ... 

Compared to logic, NAND memory chips are more specialized and have a simpler structure, therefore they are easier to achieve density scaling ...

If memory chips doesn't do it for you, will a SoC do it?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8382/samsung-announces-exynos-5430-first-20nm-samsung-soc



Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

If memory chips doesn't do it for you, will a SoC do it?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8382/samsung-announces-exynos-5430-first-20nm-samsung-soc

That's probably manufactured on TSMC's 20nm process node so I don't think that proves anything about Samsung having their own 20nm process node ...



fatslob-:O said:
JEMC said:

If memory chips doesn't do it for you, will a SoC do it?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8382/samsung-announces-exynos-5430-first-20nm-samsung-soc

That's probably manufactured on TSMC's 20nm process node so i don't think that proves anything about Samsung having their own 20nm process node ...

My God! You're never happy, are you?

Ok, what about Samsung stating that the Exynos chip is build on "Samsung's new 20nm process"

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/Exynos/w/solution.html#?v=octa_5430



Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
JEMC said:

My God! You're never happy, are you?

Ok, what about Samsung stating that the Exynos chip is build on "Samsung's new 20nm process"

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/Exynos/w/solution.html#?v=octa_5430

Alright, it looks like I was incorrect there but I still don't think AMD will be using Samsung since TSMC's 20nm process node likely has the higher yields ... 



does it really matter? This card alone cost more than the ps4, there are various other and cheaper pc graphicscards.



A10 7850K + R7250 in hybrid crossfire baby + 300 dollars left over for hookers...



disolitude said:
A10 7850K + R7250 in hybrid crossfire baby + 300 dollars left over for hookers...


While that is indeed a cool setup that many people overlook, it is fast becoming outdated, particularly with the increasing demands of newly released games and their sloppy optimization.

 

Really, if a person needs a gpu right now and doesn't have a ton of money to spend, I honestly can't think of better performance per dollar than the GTX 970. It gets roughly the same performance as an R9 290x reference, yet has a lower TDP and costs slightly cheaper, starting at around $330.

If you can wait and do have money, just wait for the R9 380X which will likely go head to head with the GTX 990.



ofrm1 said:
disolitude said:
A10 7850K + R7250 in hybrid crossfire baby + 300 dollars left over for hookers...


While that is indeed a cool setup that many people overlook, it is fast becoming outdated, particularly with the increasing demands of newly released games and their sloppy optimization.

 

Really, if a person needs a gpu right now and doesn't have a ton of money to spend, I honestly can't think of better performance per dollar than the GTX 970. It gets roughly the same performance as an R9 290x reference, yet has a lower TDP and costs slightly cheaper, starting at around $330.

If you can wait and do have money, just wait for the R9 380X which will likely go head to head with the GTX 990.

Surprisingly PC Perspective last week reviewed launch drivers VS latest drivers for that APU + GPU setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_NiAmpNs74

As well as frame pacing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vna9wjAgFQ

If AMD can deliver 25% improvements with next gen of APU's combined with a low end card, and keep the price below $250 for mobo + APU + GPU, they pretty much have the specs for a kickass PC steambox with a sub $400 dollar price tag.