Forums - PC Discussion - Is my new Intel Core i3 slower than my decade old Pentium 4?

  • 1

By my calculation, the Intel Pentium 4 3.8 GHz is way better than Intel Core i3 2.6 GHz? That's nearly 50% more powerful.

Why is Intel selling a crappy slow CPU now?



Around the Network
They're clever about it too, telling people GHz don't matter. BS!

My 3DS Friend code is 0877-1237-2177 ...ADD ME! :D

Not sure if trolling 



Galaki said:

By my calculation, the Intel Pentium 4 3.8 GHz is way better than Intel Core i3 2.6 GHz? That's nearly 50% more powerful.

Why is Intel selling a crappy slow CPU now?

Well, beside the point that i3 is newer architecture, guess what - your P4 has 125mil transistors, and your i3 has 504mils.

I see what you did there, but "size does matter" (in this case transistor count, cause die size is very similar) ;)



I can't believe you are asking this question...  Short  answer  you i3 CPU is at least 4 times more powerful than intel Pentium 4 you mentioned. The Mhz clock show how many cycles of work CPU is making every second it doesn’t say anything about how much data is processed it this time. Basically comparing  clock speed between distant generation of CPU is pointless. Your CPU may have lower clock speed but is processing significantly more (al least 5-6 times) in each cycle and therefore is much more efficient and powerful...



Around the Network
i know you are trying to do damage control on Wii U CPU clock but i will answer you anyway... Pentium 4 was a single core CPU, hold hands with SDRAM (up to 133Mhz) and the architecture was designed around the year 2000, the FSB was slow, the memory controller was outside the CPU, the cache was microscopic, can go on and on and on.... your i3 on the other hand is a multi core CPU and works with DDR3 (up to 2133 Mhz (that i know)) (here the wii U also weaker than HD twins) have a TOTALLY new architecture (wii U uses a similar architecture but more cores against original wii) i3 also have better all around MB and in chip surroundings over the P4
also comparing the P4 (Mhz) flagship against the low end current intel line up... of course the Mhz are lower... you are just bringing apples and oranges to the same basket to fit your agenda and that makes you look bad... better luck next time ;)

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

29 jan 2014 - end of 2014 prediction PS4 - 15M XB One - 10M WiiU - 9M

Hausner said:

I can't believe you are asking this question...  Short  answer  you i3 CPU is at least 4 times more powerful than intel Pentium 4 you mentioned. The Mhz clock show how many cycles of work CPU is making every second it doesn’t say anything about how much data is processed it this time. Basically comparing  clock speed between distant generation of CPU is pointless. Your CPU may have lower clock speed but is processing significantly more (al least 5-6 times) in each cycle and therefore is much more efficient and powerful...


I think he's just trying to point out (though with extremelly bad example), how WiiU's CPU can be more powerful than PS360, no matter the clock speed (conviniently forgeting few crucial things like fab proccess and die sizes).



10^9 is the maximum frequency for humans, that's why. 10^10 onwards is for butterflies.



HoloDust said:
Hausner said:

I can't believe you are asking this question...  Short  answer  you i3 CPU is at least 4 times more powerful than intel Pentium 4 you mentioned. The Mhz clock show how many cycles of work CPU is making every second it doesn’t say anything about how much data is processed it this time. Basically comparing  clock speed between distant generation of CPU is pointless. Your CPU may have lower clock speed but is processing significantly more (al least 5-6 times) in each cycle and therefore is much more efficient and powerful...


I think he's just trying to point out (though with extremelly bad example), how WiiU's CPU can be more powerful than PS360, no matter the clock speed (conviniently forgeting few crucial things like fab proccess and die sizes).

Didn't run test can't tell. Didn't compare the architecture either... But developers are having problem with WiiU CPU the time (and proper benchmarks) will show if it's because steep learning curve or the CPU is underpowered... For now the second seems more likely



  • 1