Quantcast
What will next gen pricing look like and what will be its effects?

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What will next gen pricing look like and what will be its effects?

Obviously we all know the WiiU's price, but after this flood of rumors yesterday let's start to look at pricing for next gen.

Personally I think Microsoft will push the advanced tech.  However, much like their tablets, will charge highly.  I believe the lauch price of $500 that was rumored and I think they'll pay for it.  Sony will launch at $400 at most after this gen's pricing fiasco and they will have a seperate attachment for BC (which I will buy in a heartbeat to avoid having 2 boxes and be able to sell my PS3 towards the PS4.  They can afford to push hardware with this price (maybe not lose as much as Microsoft because of finances) and still keep the cost low because they can stick with the traditional controller and use cloud gaming to help them push graphics for those willing to pay.  We will see Sony and Nintendo drastically outsell Microsoft as their arrogance in pricing will mimic that of Sony this gen.  However they don't have the first party stable to make the recovery PS3 did and will only maintain a lead in NA while losing drastically in Europe.




Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network

i doubt nextbox will have the kind of lead in america it did this gen., next gen.

games, price, ect., will be the keys, right along with functionality, and the over all product. all are on even footing, and although Wiiu launched first, it'll likely have no impact giving neither console a creditable lead.

this war will always be between ninty and Sony. MS is here for distraction. i doubt the casual market will have any momentum in the 8th gen.

Sony indeed has an image to repair, but are far from out the game.i hope Sony has an PS-Omni priced for $299 low end, using cheap pricing as a marketing strategy as well.



Expect a $400 standard model and a $500 premium model for both Microsoft and Sony. Wii Us competitive $300 standard and $400 premium price points will ensure a 12 million+ first year sales total.



Dark_Lord_2008 said:
Expect a $400 standard model and a $500 premium model for both Microsoft and Sony. Wii Us competitive $300 standard and $400 premium price points will ensure a 12 million+ first year sales total.

Personally I wouldn't mind those prices one bit, and I think it's smart to have staggered pricing.  I would certainly go for the more expensive model if it included BC.  A bigger HDD would just be a bonus after that (I hate having to change TV settings or have multiple boxes so this is big, but I also want Sony to do well so I understand that they don't want it in every unit because of cost).  I think we have an opportunity for SSDs in the later models of next gen once their prices come down and that could drastically lower failure rates.




Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

wont make much difference to me, if im crazy enough to spent over £1000 building a PC then i dont really have or see a problem if the next gen consoles come in at £299-£349 anything over that will be a bit OTT but we will just have to wait and see.



Current PC build:

Asus Z97I-Plus, i5 4790K @ 4.6ghz, EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 1377/1853/124%, Corsair Vengence Pro 2400mhz 2x 8192mb, Corsair RM850, Corsair H80i, 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, 750GB Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 320GB Weston Digital HDD, Corsair 230T, Corsair K50 Raptor, HP XQ500AA mouse, Windows 10 Pro 64bit. iiyama Pro Lite G2773HS 120Hz 1Ms G2G gaming monitor.

Around the Network

MSFT will likely be using a paid subscription so it will not appear to actually be $500. Even the rumor states something a long this statement. It won't be $500 to people's eyes much like cell phones. You may have to make a down payment but it's not like you are stating above. Anyways nobody can predict next gen and how each console will sell. All three should do good though if those rumors are true. And you need to realize how popular kinect and xbox is before saying it wont sell in america. And this isnt arrogant compared to $599 without a subscription. Very different situation.



Dark_Lord_2008 said:
Expect a $400 standard model and a $500 premium model for both Microsoft and Sony. Wii Us competitive $300 standard and $400 premium price points will ensure a 12 million+ first year sales total.


It's what  I expect from Sony and Microsoft in terms of prices.  But the subscription sales model could easily lower prices to $199.



Wii U could get a small lead on Playstation/ Xbox as rumours suggest the new systems will cost a lot more than the Wii U (again!) But i expect Playstation to sell very well again, especially if it's cheaper than Xbox



Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

the2real4mafol said:
Wii U could get a small lead on Playstation/ Xbox as rumours suggest the new systems will cost a lot more than the Wii U (again!) But i expect Playstation to sell very well again, especially if it's cheaper than Xbox

well you were right about prices but not about results

Also Platformmaster uses the card "Thread Reborn"!




Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

JayWood2010 said:
MSFT will likely be using a paid subscription so it will not appear to actually be $500. Even the rumor states something a long this statement. It won't be $500 to people's eyes much like cell phones. You may have to make a down payment but it's not like you are stating above. Anyways nobody can predict next gen and how each console will sell. All three should do good though if those rumors are true. And you need to realize how popular kinect and xbox is before saying it wont sell in america. And this isnt arrogant compared to $599 without a subscription. Very different situation.

Well I don't think Kinect is as popular as you thought but Xbox is still selling the best in NA




Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers