By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu SALES (11/9 – 11/15) -- FF:TCB Is 7th!!

thanks for MC figure :)

Around the Network

Hiska-kun@

Has it really? Maybe according to VGChartz? I haven´t looked at the numbers for a while =) but according to Famitsu the latest figures are around 950k I believe. Very close and it would be wonderful if you´re right about this one. Level 5 is the smartest thirdparty developer this generation in Japan I must say (for chosing wisely to support the marketleading platform DS, with very good games that also suit the platform and it´s public) and they truly deserves all the succes they get.

I dont know why PS3 Fanboy are fighting over every 1k over or underestimation of Wii or PS3... It is good that in this generation we are seeing lot of competition between all three consoles... The committment shown by the three manufacturers is appreciatable... N it is helping the customers in the end..

So if Wii had not been such a success Sony would never have decreased the price to $300 by now... n quality of new IPs Sony is putting out n providing free PSN would have been a dream.. Similarly the role of XBOX360 in making the console as a preferred choice of game development is another great achievement for all the console owners.. More n more developer n publisher are making console only games now..

So this has been a very good battle n it should not be made as war between owners of the console.. If PS3 move 8 - 10M consoles by the end of the generation in Japan only than it will mean a lot of HD quality JRPGs for the system.. n similarly the success of Wii has helped customers to get cheaper consoles early in this generation..

outlawauron said:
samus aran rules said:
wenlan said:
jarrod said:
Carl2291 said:

And i still bet FF13 outsells MH3. On a much lower userbase too.

By the end of this gen, the top 3 best selling 3rd party games will look like this...

1. Dragon Quest IX (DS)
  2. Dragon Quest X (Wii)
  3. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (PSP)

i believe it will be more like this:

1. MHP2+MHP2G (PSP)

2. MHP3+MHP3G (PSP)

3. DQIX (DS)

4. DQX (Wii)

Aren´t MHP2 and MHP2G two different games?  At least Famitsu and Media Create counts them as such. I could see MHP2G being on top though by itself with the legs it having thanks to the best price release and the fact that it´s bundled with the PSP hardware.

MHP2G is just MHP2+extra content. It's really just an expansion pack where MHP2 players could transfer their character, and new players can just start from the beginning of MHP2.

That's not quite true, it's not just a simple expansion (ie: more mosters, weapons, missions, etc) but there's lots of remixed content (new monster placement, rebalanced weapons, changed missions, etc).  It's almost like comparing Metal Slug 2 to Metal Slug X.

hanafuda said:
'I still think there is a big advantage to put big titles on Wii instead of PS3 in Japan because they sell very well with the big userbase on Wii (see MH3 and DQX will also sell huge no doubt) and the development costs are lower than for the HDconsoles.'.

lol

Conclusive proof right there!

Two of the biggest IPs in Japan, and one of those games not even released yet.

Dragon Quest is essentially mainstream, it pretty much demands a 10m+ userbase to sell in to.  Larger IPs do tend to inherently benefit from larger insalled bases.

Also, DQ Swords released on Wii and it's the best selling (console) DQ spinoff in history in Japan.

outlawauron said:
samus aran rules said:
wenlan said:
jarrod said:
Carl2291 said:

And i still bet FF13 outsells MH3. On a much lower userbase too.

By the end of this gen, the top 3 best selling 3rd party games will look like this...

1. Dragon Quest IX (DS)
  2. Dragon Quest X (Wii)
  3. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (PSP)

i believe it will be more like this:

1. MHP2+MHP2G (PSP)

2. MHP3+MHP3G (PSP)

3. DQIX (DS)

4. DQX (Wii)

Aren´t MHP2 and MHP2G two different games?  At least Famitsu and Media Create counts them as such. I could see MHP2G being on top though by itself with the legs it having thanks to the best price release and the fact that it´s bundled with the PSP hardware.

MHP2G is just MHP2+extra content. It's really just an expansion pack where MHP2 players could transfer their character, and new players can just start from the beginning of MHP2.

That's not quite true, it's not just a simple expansion (ie: more monsters, weapons, armor, missions, etc) but there's lots of remixed content (new monster placement/drops, rebalanced weapons/armor, changed missions, etc).  It's almost like comparing Metal Slug 2 to Metal Slug X.

hanafuda said:
'I still think there is a big advantage to put big titles on Wii instead of PS3 in Japan because they sell very well with the big userbase on Wii (see MH3 and DQX will also sell huge no doubt) and the development costs are lower than for the HDconsoles.'.

lol

Conclusive proof right there!

Two of the biggest IPs in Japan, and one of those games not even released yet.

Dragon Quest is essentially mainstream, it pretty much demands a 10m+ userbase to sell in to.  Larger IPs do tend to inherently benefit from larger insalled bases.

Also, DQ Swords released on Wii and it's the best selling (console) DQ spinoff in history in Japan.

Around the Network

Jarrod @

I agree about the MH2G issue. It makes no sense to add the totals of those two games and besides the offical trackers has chosen not to do so. We also know that there is no way that the game would have sold as much as it has if it hadn´t been for 2ndG.

Let´s say that Wii gets MH3G. Would we add those sales to MH3´s total? I think not and I´m a Wiifan. It makes no sense. I agree with adding sales for a best price version, it´s the same game but not new releases that add new elements.

samus aran rules said:
Jarrod @

I agree about the MH2G issue. It makes no sense to add the totals of those two games and besides the offical trackers has chosen not to do so. We also know that there is no way that the game would have sold as much as it had if it hadn´t been for 2ndG.

Let´s say that Wii gets MH3G. Would we add those sales to MH3´s total? I think not and I´m a Wiifan. It makes no sense. I agree with adding sales for a best price version, it´s the same game but not new releases that add new elements.

The chief problem with adding totals is that 90% of MH2P fans also bought MHP2G, you basically double counting the core audience.   I never see people doing this for Pokemon (ie adding Emerald to Ruby/Sapphire totals or Platinum to Diamond/Pearl totals), which is probably the closest analog.

If we're doing it though, I'll go ahead and say say MH3 + MH3G > FFXIII. :P

ioi said:
It is always an issue with expansions and so on as to whether you combine or not - it's definitely not black and white.

Wii Fit Plus is one example - the game is selling largely to existing Wii Fit owners but there will also be a number of new consumers getting the title that didn't purchase Wii Fit. On balance, it's not really fair to combine the sales since there will be some double counting but at the same time Wii Fit sales have been cut short by Wii Fit Plus. So you could reasonably debate either way.

Pokemon Diamond / Pearl - generally you buy one or the other so it seems reasonable to combine, same with Nintendogs and other games offered in multiple versions. Pokemon Platinum, due to the later release, is more likely to be picked up by consumers who originally bought Diamond / Pearl and want to play through the changes and additions so it makes sense to count it seperately. Nintendogs Dalmation, on the other hand, also released later but was pretty much the same game with a different set of dogs so would have been less likely to be re-purchased by existing Nintendogs owners so was combined into the total.

Monster Hunter Portable 2 / 2G is counted as two seperate games since there is actually a fair amount of difference between the two and a lot of incentive to re-buy if you have the original.

That´s a great summary. Thanks for that

EXCELLENT SALES for PS3!!!!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

yeah PS3's momentum is really strong goin to FF13 week. Very impressive, i expected PS3 to go back below 20k levels and here it is doing 30k+ week in week out. Very impressive indeed for a console that has been performing sub 10k for alot of weeks in Japan.

Wii on the other hand, well since all the big games are at the beginning of december we shall see about this. but not so great numbers although the it was at 12-15k levels before pricecut, but Japan obviously is about software, and PS3 is owning japan at the moment softwarewise