By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Halo Reach: Microsoft’s ACE int he HOLE for 2010! -Agree/Disagree?!

Spankey said:

could someone please explain to me how Natal could be used on an FPS?

Unless, of course the new Halo is an on-rails shooter?

How on earth would you give the commands to strafe, jump, change weapons, grenade go for cover etc without a controller?

Don't get me wrong - Halo and Natal are both awesome, just I can't see them being awesome in the same package.
generally, people only have two hands, two legs, two arms and a head or two.
how could those possibly be mapped to 12 or so buttons and two directional control sticks?
can you imagine how awkward Halo 3 would be if you reduced the inputs to just 7 or so?
If I'm getting this wrong, I appologise, and please could someone explain how this would work?

Never had any military training?  Not even a boyscout?  Team control using standard hand motions is perfect for Natal and using that with a controller is perfect since if you were carring a rifle and pulled your hand off the trigger to signal a command it would have the same effect with a controller.  So controller plus Natal is the way to go for FPSes... though imagine the uses Natal could be used in another Rainbow Six game...

Around the Network
Cueil said:
Spankey said:

How on earth would you give the commands to strafe, jump, change weapons, grenade go for cover etc without a controller?

Don't get me wrong - Halo and Natal are both awesome, just I can't see them being awesome in the same package.
how could those possibly be mapped to 12 or so buttons and two directional control sticks?
can you imagine how awkward Halo 3 would be if you reduced the inputs to just 7 or so?
If I'm getting this wrong, I appologise, and please could someone explain how this would work?

Never had any military training?  Not even a boyscout?  Team control using standard hand motions is perfect for Natal and using that with a controller is perfect since if you were carring a rifle and pulled your hand off the trigger to signal a command it would have the same effect with a controller.  So controller plus Natal is the way to go for FPSes... though imagine the uses Natal could be used in another Rainbow Six game...

wait ? does it means the Sony wand + eye toy is better designed for FPS ?

Time to Work !

Squilliam said:
Halo is around about as big as Gran Turismo so yeah it is fitting to see them both release in the same year if you're into that kind of thing.

hum ... in a way ... well ... I agree and disagree

there are both big, sure, but no real GT has been released on PS3 so far (prologue is 1/2 GT)

while on 360, already 1 Halo and 2 "special Halo" has been released (Halo3+halowars+ODST)

so if you are wondering about which one will have more effect on hardware, I would say GT WITHOUT any doubt.

Indeed, REACH may be a non event in term of hardware BUT the combo NATAL/REACH may have an effect mostly du to NATAL !

Time to Work !

Cueil said:
Spankey said:

But isn't the point of Natal to get rid of the controller entirely? using it in some form of mixed mode kind of defeats the object of not using a controller somewhat, does it not?

I can see it might work in some groovy form of team management mode though, but hands on? I still can't see it beyond someone pointing fingers and shouting "Pew! Pew! Alternate Fire!"

Unfortunately my military training is none of your business, I'm afraid, and I won't discuss it here.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

silicon said:
If it uses Natal in a good way, and there's no reason to think it won't, then this game is going to kill in sales.

On second thought... it'll have great sales regardless...

Typical Halo audience won't even care about Natal.

Even if for example you make grenade throwing as natal motion then everyone will turn it off for multiplayer gameplay because it will be faster to throw them with button.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
fxa5209 said:
The last two Halo's proved that Halo is no longer a system seller, at least for current HD generation. I think it would be tough to assume that Microsoft will be sucessfull in 2010 based on only Halo. They need more to compete with Sony's AAA titles:

-- GT5
-- God of War III
-- Heavy Rain
-- MAG
-- The Agent (from Rockstar)
-- The Last Guardian
-- ModNation Racers (This will be huge).
-- White Knight Chronicles.

Well, I look at Gran Turismo here:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=90658&page=1

How much is ANY title this point in the game a system seller?

What do you mean?. You're not seriously suggesting software has no impact on hardware are you?.

richardhutnik said:
fxa5209 said:
The last two Halo's proved that Halo is no longer a system seller, at least for current HD generation. I think it would be tough to assume that Microsoft will be sucessfull in 2010 based on only Halo. They need more to compete with Sony's AAA titles:

-- GT5
-- God of War III
-- Heavy Rain
-- MAG
-- The Agent (from Rockstar)
-- The Last Guardian
-- ModNation Racers (This will be huge).
-- White Knight Chronicles.

Well, I look at Gran Turismo here:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=90658&page=1

How much is ANY title this point in the game a system seller?

Look at the sales of GT1, 2, 3, and 4. And don't say GT5P sold bad because the same happened with GT4P. Gran Turismo is the Halo of Europe.

OT: It'll take more than Halo: Reach to take over 2010, because Sony have a couple of big titles as well. Either way, 2010 is shaping up to be a great year for both consoles.

It depends on how Natal and the Sony wands do (especially Natal).

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Since when has Halo not been milked to death this gen ? reach will do nothing for hardware.

I'd say Halo fans have already bought consoles. BUT....Reach does seem like it's going to be something a bit different. I'd say we'll know more after, oh, I don't know, we actually see ANYTHING about the game? It's going to have a large beta of about 4 million + users - I'd say we'll have a good read on whether it's going to be any good well before launch.

But I will say this. They would not have gone all in with that beta - giving it to every ODST buyer - if they weren't fairly sure they had a pretty strong product on their hands. Otherwise it's Bungie/MS suicide. And remember that this is the Halo relaunch of Bungie as an independent and they have something to prove. My money's on the Halo team to make something great.

Time will tell, but until we know more about the game, it's all shot-in-the-dark speculation.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

Cueil said:
Spankey said:

Err one never pulls their hand off the trigger to signal. One also never uses hand signals once contact/firefight is occuring you yell orders at that point. hand signals are worthless when a squad/section is engaged in a fire fight  with broken line of sight.

how many fps are focused on long jungle patrols as part of SAS or delta/SEALs again? maybe less than the number of games than the ones that model long patrols by infantry recon units. . .

In your traning did you run faster with a knife?