By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If Super Mario Galaxy was the first game in the series…

Do you think it would have sold as well as it has or would it have been a flop like so many other good games have before it?

edit> Yes I mean that it started on Wii

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network

That type of game wasn't possible back then...

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

i dont think it would of sold as much, but it prolly would of sold

Haha no I did not mean on the past consoles… I meant as it being the first game but on Wii. Like the franchise has never existed before the Wii one :P

Oh, it would have sold pretty good, but not as good.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Around the Network

Catch 22, the Wii wouldn't exist without mario :P

Thats an awful thought that crossed my mind earlier today. What if Mario hadn't existed?
No sonic for starters.

I think platform games wouldn't have needed SMG to be as revolutionary as it is.

People probably wouldn't understand wtf is happening when they go upside down. They might have hated it.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

3-4 million maximum.

And yes the Wii and of course many of the Nintendo core titles wouldn't exist without Mario.

tabsina said:
Catch 22, the Wii wouldn't exist without mario :P

lol I didn’t think about that…

Ignoring all the logical flaws (like the catch 22) No it would not... platformers are not a popular genre anymore... and to be honest Mario bascailly made the platformer a popular genre so they may have never been popular, thus Galaxy might have been labelled an adventure game that was rather niche in it's odd use of a plumber jumping around. Although that brings another logic failure in that Mario is a plumber and looks like he does simply because of the technical limitations of the NES, so he wouldn't be Mario without that.

-----

Basically I think these questions are always very silly.... My cousin when playing scrabble always said things like "if I had a "V" I could spell ......... " but the point is, you don't have that letter so you can't spell it.