By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Analyst: PS3 continues to lack a clear ‘must-own’ title that will drive sales

dhummel said:
MontanaHatchet said:
dhummel said:
coolestguyever said:
I don't even know what this guy was thinking really. Just looking at metacritic theres tons of great games.

You got shooters like MGS4, Killzone 2 (soon), Call of Duty 4

Racing like Motorstorm and GT5P

Action like Uncharted and GTA

Platformer in LBP

We got all the basics covered

Those games are good but not "must own"s. How can the forth installment of a plot-heavy tactical shooter be a "must own"? Especially when the third iteration sold fewer than 5 million copies with a userbse of over 100 million consoles? Not too many people can pick up MGS4 as their first MGS and play through while understanding the plot, which is one of selling points of the game. As the sales show, less than 25% of current PS3 owners have deemed the title worthy of a purchase anyway. Furthermore, the online component has a medium sized, dedicated following and nothing more. "Must owns" can garner 100-200k per weekend online at any time, like the CoD's do on PS3 and 360 and like Halo 3 still does on occasion. You are confusing personal and critical favorites with mass appeal games that transcend even the gaming realm and draw laymen into the fold.

The bolded statement could be twisted in so many ways that I'm actually finding myself amazed with the possibilities. Let's take Super Mario Galaxy for example, which got incredible reviews and is now at about 8 million sales. How can the (too many to count) installment of a plot-thin platformer be a "must own?" We all know that a "must own" title is decided by sales and not quality, so let's look at Super Mario Galaxy. Clearly it's not a must own title since the last major iteration barely did 6 million with a userbase of 22 million. Less than 20% of Wii have deemed Super Mario Galaxy worthy of a purchase anyways. And we all know that high selling, "must own" are heavy on the online. See Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Wii Fit.

I never claimed Mario Galaxy was a "must own" title. You gave a good argument for it not being so in your post. I'm not sure what you are getting at.

I know you didn't, I was using another example. Super Mario Galaxy is most certainly a must own title due to it being one of the greatest games of all time. I was arguing how your qualifier of "must own" being high sales or a large online community is just wrong. It's almost like the sarcasm flew over your head.

Around the Network

So MGS4 wasnt defining?

Damn it!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Gran Turismo 5 will be a 'must own' title.

"Must-own" titles always have large sales. That's what qualifies them as must own. Large sales prove that people want the game.

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

so what are the 360 and wii's "must-own" titles?

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network
griffinA said:
"Must-own" titles always have large sales. That's what qualifies them as must own. Large sales prove that people want the game.

If we're going to be that literal, we could take the next step up and just claim that "must own" titles are only deemed so because the publishers went to people's houses and held them at gunpoint until they bought the game.

I disagree.

I know a lot of people who plan to buy a PS3 for MGS4.

Outside of MGS4 it gets hazy since the "Must buy" games seem to be shared with the 360.

Still.

MontanaHatchet said:
To most western analysts, America is the only market that matters. NPD is pretty much the only source they ever use. That could be why the PS3 is often looked at unfavorably versus the other two consoles.

Very good point.

Never thought of that.

4 million, it sold more than that in 07!

The PS3 has plenty MUST HAVE games on the System. That is not the issue. The issue is getting people to actually BUY the system itself. It is too expensive to most and they cannot afford it in this economy. I have two friends feverishly asking me when I think Sony is going to go for a price cut because they want in on PS3 goodness.

Price Cut is the answer to all these questions!

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)