By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Used games the cause of the $10 dollar price hike on games this gen?

*snaps fingers* That could be it, thanks Squilliam

Due to the larger development costs of PS360 games compared to PS2/GC/Xbox, the length of many games has been cut, in order to try to make a profit. However, that then means that PS360 games could suffer more from being resold, hence lowering profits, hence why they need to be $10 more.

Hmm, a bit convoluted, but maybe the 2nd hand market is more damaging to the PS360 than to any other console?

Around the Network
scottie said:
*snaps fingers* That could be it, thanks Squilliam

Due to the larger development costs of PS360 games compared to PS2/GC/Xbox, the length of many games has been cut, in order to try to make a profit. However, that then means that PS360 games could suffer more from being resold, hence lowering profits, hence why they need to be $10 more.

Hmm, a bit convoluted, but maybe the 2nd hand market is more damaging to the PS360 than to any other console?

Yes, pretty much. You can actually buy good used games on the PS3/360 but its difficult on the Wii. Though I did pick up Paper Mario the other day! People will do whatever it takes to find good value for their money. It effects certain genres more than others, the reason why shooters are so popular these days is that its easy to slap a multi-player mode onto it to hopefully slow down the used market somewhat.

I think really its up to the console manufacturers and publishers to work together to fix. What the used market really says is that the games industry really needs a rental market, until they develop one, Gamestop will continue to reap massive profits and publishers won't earn a dime.

Tease.

d21lewis said:
I was NEVER able to find a good used AAA Gamecube game. People would buy those games and hang on to them for years. Why was that?

Developers can figure it out. Games cost $50-$60. Why in the hell would someone pay that much for a game, just to turn around and trade it for $20-$30 a few days (if not the very next day!) later? Make games that people want to keep forever (I have games I may never play again, but the playthrough was so good, they will stay on my shelf forever) and you won't have to worry about an after market.

Nintendo AAA games really buck the trend.

I sold my Gamecube games when the Wii was launched.

10 title

5 sold for 50/60 percent of original price

3 sold for 75 percent of original price

2 made a profit

Legend of Zelda : The Twilight princess (Bought 35 GBP : Sold 60 GBP) Apparently there was a huge TP shortage at Xmas.

Metal Gear Solid : The Twin Snakes (Bought 20 GBP : Sold 40 GBP) Apparently its as rare as hens teeth in good cond.

d21lewis said:
I was NEVER able to find a good used AAA Gamecube game. People would buy those games and hang on to them for years. Why was that?

Developers can figure it out. Games cost $50-$60. Why in the hell would someone pay that much for a game, just to turn around and trade it for $20-$30 a few days (if not the very next day!) later? Make games that people want to keep forever (I have games I may never play again, but the playthrough was so good, they will stay on my shelf forever) and you won't have to worry about an after market.

I bought almost half of my Cube-collection in used condition! But with the precondition that they were in mint-condition!

You just have to look and be patient! I know games like Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness and Viewtiful Joe are really hard to find used in mint shape but from time to time I come across them! Only stuff I haven't EVER seen is Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes... But Skies of Arcadia passed the buck a few times!

EDIT: Some AAA Cube-games go for more then 30-40$ on some used-stuff sites!

THE NETHERLANDS

I could be wrong, but I have always suspected that the number of people who buy enough used games to make a difference is pretty small; and the money "lost" to used game sales could (easily) be seen as a promotional cost to the IP because if the person who bought the game used likes the game it makes it more likely for them to buy your next game new.

Around the Network

Second hand games may be the cause, but not for the reasons given.

Take a look at the car market. The second hand market supports the huge retail price of brand new cars. If people didn't know that in a few years time they would be able to sell their new car as second hand and recoup some of the money the majority wouldn't be willing to pay such a high price in the first place.

Very few people would be happy to shell out £50 for the amount of games they currently buy if they didn't know they'd be able to trade it in later. Without the second hand market the current price structure couldn't be supported.

If the moves to ban second hand game sales succeed then there are several possible outcomes:
1) The industry is badly hit as gamers cut the amount of games they buy because they can't afford to pay for so many games with no way of getting any of the money back.
2) Piracy soars because former second-hand gamers aren't willing to pay £50 a time.
3) The industry drastically cuts the new price. This would likely result in fewer games being made because of the high development costs.

If the industry succeeds in getting second hand games banned they deserve everything they'll get.

ban the trading of games for up to their first 6 months on the market. it should be a fairly easy thing to implement. i know the city next to mine has a bylaw banning the trade in of all used games.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

What's the point in a bylaw? Surely people just take them to the next town or sell them on the internet?

No ban is ever possible to enforce, that's why illegal drugs are easy to get hold of and the US prohibition experiment didn't work.

ferret1603 said:
What's the point in a bylaw? Surely people just take them to the next town or sell them on the internet?

No ban is ever possible to enforce, that's why illegal drugs are easy to get hold of and the US prohibition experiment didn't work.

the stores are still allowed to sell the games as well...so chains like blockbuster ship some from the stores in other places.  it was probably implemented in an attempt to cut back on thefts.  i doubt it worked...the city is still the shithole of the province and nothing they can do will change that.

the law would need a wider implementation to have any real effect.  it also doesnt need to have a 100% effectiveness.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur