By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EA Sports’ Peter Moore On The Struggle Of Selling Sports Games To Wii Owners

EA is in an interesting position. I feel like they finally understand what Nintendo has been saying all along - that there are no casual gamers; there are simply those who like to game more often (or dedicated gamers as I like to call them, the current "hardcore" gamer) and those who don't game as often (part-time gamers, or the current "casual" gamer), then there's also the non-gamer, but the idea with WiiFit is to turn them into part time gamers (and then hopefully dedicated gamers). The dedicated games need depth and increasing levels of difficulty (whether that difficulty is given by different levels or simply making the game difficult), while the part-timer gamer needs to be able to pick up the game and quickly get into it because they don't have hours and hours to dedicate to get good at the game, and they don't have time to finish a game if it's overly hard.

It may seem impossible to cater to both of these groups, but Nintendo has done a really fine job with it. Mario Kart is really easy to pick up and play, easy to understand the most basic ideas of the game, and one can do fairly well without hours of practice. But if you dedicate yourself to it, you can learn all those neat tricks and such, and can become much better than the players that don't play the game as much (an example would be me - I get pwnd every MK race when I join the tournament...). WiiSports is even a good one - anyone can pick that game up and be somewhat good after five minutes, but go up against, say my brother, and you'll probably get owned (unless you dedicated yourself to the game to get good at it). IN tennis he is able to hit the ball at the right time to send it the farthest away from my character as possible - much like you would do in real tennis. Neither of these games have I really bothered to try and get good at (and my brother has even done the training things in WiiSports), so if the games were just based on luck or wild swings of the wiimote (as some suggest), then I feel I should win a few times, yet I never do...

So back to the beginning - EA has seen what Nintendo is doing/ has done, and are trying to copy them, but keep failing at one or two major breakpoints. With Boom Blox they failed to advertise - and though few of Nintendo's games need advertising, they all get it and are rewarded with very good sales. With Madden 09, they were still stuck with the idea that "casuals" love cute looking things, and gave the cover a slightly more funny look, and added that "All-Play" nonesense to it. These "casuals" have been playing games for years on the PS2 and PS1, the same games that the so called "hardcores" were playing.

Basically, EA is moving in the right direction. They've made Madden 09 more accessible while not making it simple. They made it fun while not making it boring (if that even makes sense). They made it easy for all, while making it difficult if need be (through the Easy, Madden, All-Madden, etc difficultly settings). But then they fucked up that cover. Marketers be damned!

Also, lets not forget that Madden 08 was selling 7k a week back in July. It might not be as high as the others, but few Wii games have great big launches, so I don't see why this one should be all that much different. 08 managed more than 800k according to this site, after only selling the 174k in the first two months. Why can't 09 sell over a million (I know what you are thinking - but it's already over 9000...) after only selling 176k in the first two months? And when did a million (or over 800k for that matter) become a bad thing (and not profitable as eliasg said)?

Around the Network
Thrillhouse said:

It may work for other titles but the EA core Sports games should LOOK LIKE the best damn sports game you can buy, and not a watered down edition... even if they aren't watered down at all.

In NCAA 09's case, the All Play case looks more like a damn parody then a knock-off.

In Peter Moore's defense, he use to work at Microsoft, and may still believe putting a Green Spartan on a game cover means it'll sell more.

Erik Aston said:
Thing is, it isn't really a struggle to sell sports games on Wii. Just the "authentic" sports games, as Moore calls them.

Bingo.

EA Sports problem is that licensees aren't very effective on a console where the killer app is a collection of sports featuring yourself and your friends with simple but surprisily deep gameplay based on motion sensing.

What I think they need to do is a fun game to play, enjoying with others and with simple but not shallow rules ( even sports that don't exist ).

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

Just looking at the data on this site you can see that in NA:

Madden 07 Wii 450,000 sold VS Madden 07 PS3 470,000 sold

Madden 08 Wii 840,000 sold VS Madden 08 PS3 870,000 sold

Clearly Wii version will probably never sell as much as the 360 version but it seems to be doing pretty well against the PS3 version.

Of course with the new All-Play tag this year it may sell much less then the PS3 version.

Why is everyone saying the "All play" label is backfiring? Madden 09 All play is currently at 377 thousand after 14 weeks. Madden 08 was at 235 thousand at 14 weeks and is currently at 830 thousand and still selling.

7 weeks in, Fifa 09 All play is up 25 thousand on 08 in Others, 08 is currently at 800 and still selling, and I don't need to mention Tiger Woods.

Regardless of how their HD counterparts do, Tiger Woods, Madden, Fifa, Smackdown and Pro Evo are all looking at between 700 thousand (and remember how much later Pro Evo Wii came out) and over one million for their 08 editions, and higher sales for their 09's.

Just because they don't sell as much as the HD games (except for tiger) and their sales aren't front loaded doesn't mean they aren't doing well.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network
stof said:
Why is everyone saying the "All play" label is backfiring? Madden 09 All play is currently at 377 thousand after 14 weeks. Madden 08 was at 235 thousand at 14 weeks and is currently at 830 thousand and still selling.

7 weeks in, Fifa 09 All play is up 25 thousand on 08 in Others, 08 is currently at 800 and still selling, and I don't need to mention Tiger Woods.

Regardless of how their HD counterparts do, Tiger Woods, Madden, Fifa, Smackdown and Pro Evo are all looking at between 700 thousand (and remember how much later Pro Evo Wii came out) and over one million for their 08 editions, and higher sales for their 09's.

Just because they don't sell as much as the HD games (except for tiger) and their sales aren't front loaded doesn't mean they aren't doing well.

Madden 09 All-Play is also listed at 289K through September 27 on VGC. And what's the NPD number for August plus September? 176K, or something like that?

Just saying.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

EA shouldn't bother putting madden on the wii, the wii has wii sports, and wii fit. besides it doesn't take a genius to know that madden fans don't buy the wii

Until they come out with a decent Wii version, I will not be purchasing Madden on the Wii.

stof said:
Madden Tiger and Fifa the Wrestling game and Pro Evo have all sold fairly well. I expect all of those games' 09 editions to pass 1 million. They might not be close to dominant, but thats still pretty damn good.

but thats been the expectation of wii madden for the last 2 years, even more so this year, where it was supposed ot out sell the ps3s version at minimum. judging based on install base this year, and ill say the base will be close to double next year, we can see around 300-500k on launch it should get close to 1 million, but even next year without a major change i just dont see it happening 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Oyvoyvoyv said:
trestres said:
Legend11 said:
I think EA should stop trying to push their core sports games like Tiger Woods PGA on the 360 and instead turn to far more casual sports games. Like a very well designed mini golf game or little league baseball game.

Fixed.

How is Golf more "hardcore" than American Football? That makes no sense at all. I play Golf a lot, but mainly most Golf players are soccer dads.

id have to agree with oyvoyvoyv, ive never understood golf as a video game, and in terms of sales, madden kills every year the other sports games out there... id like to see it have competition again with 2k or somebody, but there is nothing with a more core yearly fallowing then madden 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog