By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EA Sports’ Peter Moore On The Struggle Of Selling Sports Games To Wii Owners

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/...uggles-on-wii/

Quote:
EA Sports’ Peter Moore On The Struggle Of Selling Sports Games To Wii Owners
Posted by Stephen Totilo on 11/24/08 at 11:30 am.

There seems to be a problem when the latest “Madden” sells more than two million copies on PS3, Xbox 360 and PS2 combined in the U.S. in August this year — and just a little over 100,000 on the Wii according to sales-tracker NPD.

A few years ago, that kind of sales misery on a Nintendo console would be okay. For a long time, sports games on Nintendo consoles just didn’t sell.

But given that “Wii Sports” sparked Nintendo’s GameCube-to-Wii console resurrection, it seems like sports games can sell on the Wii.

So why isn’t EA Sports having an easier go of it on the Wii? I recently asked EA Sports chief Peter Moore to tell me what EA was doing right and wrong with sports games on Nintendo’s console.

As always, he was blunt:

“Will we ever see attach rates for authentic sports games, for licensed sports games, on the Wii to the same we see on 360 or PS3? Probably not in this cycle.”

“The challenge we face is that that consumer gets ‘Wii Sports‘ right out of the box and that’s a sports experience that’s good enough for a lot of people. That is a challenge for us at times.

“Secondly, we’re doing very well with the core consumer, migrating them to the Xbox 360 and PS3 and, quite frankly, if they’re looking for that hardcore experience that’s where they’re buying that … We are seeing multiple copy purchases in the home. As you well know, I was the proponent of the Wii60 in the early days. I think there’s going to be a very strong multi-console ownership in homes. And I think that’s bearing out. We are starting to see, anecdotally, two copies of ‘Madden’ — one for the 360 or PS3 — and another copy for the younger kids or even for the wife or girlfriend on the Wii.

“We’re going to keep pounding away. We know what we were doing wrong. ‘Tiger‘ is EA’s number one selling game on the Wii period. Period! [Editor's Note: NPD reports that the latest edition of the game has sold, 141,000 copies in the U.S. this year on the Wii.]

“The bottom line is we knew what we weren’t doing right. We’ve corrected that. We’re seeing progress. Is it easy? No. Will we ever see attach rates for authentic sports games, for licensed sports games, on the Wii to the same we see on 360 or PS3? Probably not in this cycle. Are we going to see continued growth of both? Absolutely.”

According to NPD, “Madden NFL 08” for Wii, the 2007 American football game designed in the same style as its Xbox 360 and PS3 counterparts, sold 174,000 copies in its first two months of release in the U.S. “Madden All-Play 09,” this year’s simpler controlling, just-for-the-Wii revamp, has sold 176,000 copies in its first two months out in the U.S., showing a stronger start in America than even that ballyhooed “Tiger” but as of yet not the blockbuster numbers “Madden” does on every other major gaming console.

Wii owners, do you like what you’re hearing from Moore?

Around the Network

it's kinda strange how 07 sold well for a launch game and 08 sold quite well and improved a lot on 07, but then 09 is stagnant and sells the same as 08 the first 2 months. It seems to me the whole all play thing is backfiring on them.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

I think he is right.....most wii owners are okay with Wii sports. Wii owners dont seem to like third party efforts as much as anything preceded with "Wii"

Wiisports
wiiboard
wiifit

Nintendo and prosper by making "wii" type games alone!

Madden Tiger and Fifa the Wrestling game and Pro Evo have all sold fairly well. I expect all of those games' 09 editions to pass 1 million. They might not be close to dominant, but thats still pretty damn good.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

johnsobas said:
it's kinda strange how 07 sold well for a launch game and 08 sold quite well and improved a lot on 07, but then 09 is stagnant and sells the same as 08 the first 2 months. It seems to me the whole all play thing is backfiring on them.

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm always put off when companies change their packing for a familar product. Makes me paranoid they've changed something else. The Wii version of the EA sports games are the only ones with different covers from every other version. But cleary that's what Moore wants.

And I think that’s bearing out. We are starting to see, anecdotally, two copies of ‘Madden’ — one for the 360 or PS3 — and another copy for the younger kids or even for the wife or girlfriend on the Wii.

He wants everyone to view the Wii version has the "casual" version, even if they're largely the exact same games with different graphics.

Around the Network

I think EA should stop trying to push their core sports games like Madden on the Wii and instead turn to far more casual sports games. Like a very well designed mini golf game or little league baseball game.

Couple of things effecting this.

1. Only the hardcore get a new madden each year. I used to only pick up madden every couple of years. Now with my 13 year old son he asks for madden each year as a birthday present. Since the Wii demographic for the most part is very casual less people will get a new madden each year.

2. As this generation progresses more people will have both a Wii and a HD console. If your one of those people you will get the HD version of Madden.

3. A large amount of people getting a Wii are getting it for a specific game or 2. For instance I finally succumbed and picked one up for my wife for Christmas with WiiFit. Neither I nor my kids have little interest in other games for the Wii. The Wii will go in my bedroom where my wife can work out and the 360 stays on the plasma in the family room.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

I like his position.
But, the problem with Madden or FIFA is that I don't get the feeling that the Wii version has something superior to its HD counterparts.
In the Tiger Woods case, you have either the beautiful scenery, for the HD version, an added value for a golf game, or a better gameplay, for the Wii one - doing the actual swing is more immersive than just timely push buttons. And so the 2 versions can legitimately coexist and sell decently.
For Madden and FIFA, the Wii version seems to play different, but not better. It is then trashed in the graphical department.

The other problem is the 'All Play' brand. When I see a tag attached to a game, I feel like it is not the 'real' version of the game - especially when the unlabeled ones are sold next to it. It sounds like, for example, 'FF7 : Crisis Core' or 'The Sims 2 : Appartment Life', a spin-off or an add-on. To have a different cover reinforces that idea.

But, still, from what I read, to me he seems like on the good way to succeed.

for me, i haven't bought either, but

its the "all play" tagline

makes people thing it is not the "real" version of the game.

in my opinion

keep the covers the same, keep the name the same

madden 2010 ps3/360/wii no madden 2010 all play wii

same covers, same CONTENT (ie all modes in all games) continue to add a bit more into the wii, to build marketshare, make the wii version the definitive version content/gameplay wise and it'll sell better.

Something else to add, EA seems to be very much screwing around with the controls of the Wii Madden games.

I rented 07 a long while back, and actually ended up enjoying it quite bit. I don't care about the NFL, but the controls made me feel a little like I was playing touch football again. I bought 08 assuming they'd just tighten things up a bit, but they actually over complicated the controls. Way too many moves bound to very similar gestures made it really hard for me to make any progress, and it seemed like throwing was too senstive now and sometimes my guy would throw right after the snap because the controller may still have been moving. Ended up trading in 08 for 07 of all things.

I didn't play Madden 09, but I remember watching demos of the Wii version and an EA rep talking about how 08 was too complicated and they were simplfying by making simple shakes automatically picking the right move or something. I haven't tried it, but it seemed like they were going off a cliff in the other direction with making things far too simple.

I honestly would still be interested in buying another Madden game for the Wii if they just aim for a more refined happy balance that Madden 07 has. Juding from Moore's comments, that won't happen. He seems sure the Wii base is too dumb for a regular Madden game. =P