By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft’s Mattrick: When I said we’d win, I meant it”

Barozi said:
whatever said:
reask said:
whatever said:
reask said:
megaman2 said:
They have made a bold statement when they have said that they wil overtake the ps3 worlwide, do I thinks its possible no simply because the ps3 has overtaking the xbox 360 in Europe, and the xbox 360 has no presence in Japan. And in America its a dog fight between the consoles, with the 360 ahead.

Without doubt the xbox 360 have the best games because of their one-year head start but they should focus their time on fixing the hardware problems, from what I undestand the problems are not fixed and they keep releasing new xbox 360 models which still have the same hardware problems, and for that reason I thinks the xbox 360 overtaking the ps3 worldwide sounds to ambitious, and in the end wont happen the ps3 is more value for money.

ms dispute that actually heres part of his interview.

The other thing we know is Sony's given guidance and said their goal is to create ten million units this coming year. Needless to say, our aspiration is to do more. We also know we have a volume lead both in Europe and North America, and with that volume lead in the aggregate, when you add in Japan, is larger than Sony's.

Like I said, M$ will just deny it.

well who do you believe ms or sony.

both are spinning.

I believe VGC.

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii®1=Europe&cons2=PS3®2=Europe&cons3=X360®3=Europe&start=39040&end=39649&weekly=1

Well then belive this http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii®1=America&cons2=PS3®2=America&cons3=X360®3=America&start=39040&end=39649&weekly=1

maybe he is lying but you would imagine ms and sony would have the most accurate figures.

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
How could they come to this conclusion. I mean, they are doing great, honestly, imo, compared to last gen, but great 3rd party support does not equal sales greater than the PS3.

However, remember guys, Kaz or some sony guy said the PS3 would outsell the PS2, and I believe he said it'd beat the Wii.

360 has a better chance of outselling the PS3 than the PS3 does of outselling the Wii.

Do you mean outselling the Wii in the next 3 years or the next 8?  In the next 3 it won't (the PS3 will just be hitting the magic price point by the end of the next few years) but in the next 8 it almost certainly will (when the Wii is discontinued 4 or so years from now to make way for a new Nintendo system but the PS3 can persist due to its higher end tech).  The PS systems make most of their sales when they drop below the 199 (or maybe this gen 250) price point.  There isn't a doubt in my mind that the PS3 would be ahead of the Wii in sales if they cost the same amount.  I mean look at PS2 sales, in theory the Wii has the casual/low end market locked down and yet, every week without fail, over 100k PS2s sell.  Most weeks the PS2 is either right behind the 360 or even sometimes a bit ahead.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

reask said:
Barozi said:
whatever said:
reask said:
whatever said:
reask said:
megaman2 said:
They have made a bold statement when they have said that they wil overtake the ps3 worlwide, do I thinks its possible no simply because the ps3 has overtaking the xbox 360 in Europe, and the xbox 360 has no presence in Japan. And in America its a dog fight between the consoles, with the 360 ahead.

Without doubt the xbox 360 have the best games because of their one-year head start but they should focus their time on fixing the hardware problems, from what I undestand the problems are not fixed and they keep releasing new xbox 360 models which still have the same hardware problems, and for that reason I thinks the xbox 360 overtaking the ps3 worldwide sounds to ambitious, and in the end wont happen the ps3 is more value for money.

The other thing we know is Sony's given guidance and said their goal is to create ten million units this coming year. Needless to say, our aspiration is to do more. We also know we have a volume lead both in Europe and North America, and with that volume lead in the aggregate, when you add in Japan, is larger than Sony's.

both are spinning.

I believe VGC.

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii®1=Europe&cons2=PS3®2=Europe&cons3=X360®3=Europe&start=39040&end=39649&weekly=1

Well then belive this http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii®1=America&cons2=PS3®2=America&cons3=X360®3=America&start=39040&end=39649&weekly=1

maybe he is lying but you would imagine ms and sony would have the most accurate figures.

Most likely MS is using selective numbers like in their E3 presentation.  Remember when they said the 360 was number 1 in the US knowing full well that within days the Wii numbers for June would be out showing the Wii had passed them up?  They almost certainly did the same thing here given that the PS3 only very recently passed up the 360.  They probably used slightly old numbers to make the point they want to make.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

Some changes to look out for by the end of this year

1. Home
2. PlayTv-will add the functionality of a Tivo to your PS3
3. PS3's new video store, which won't help hardware but will give Sony a lot more $$$$ to play around with
4. PS3s will soon be sold in Latin America, look for 20,000+ in others weekly once this is accomplished
6. Blu-ray will be 15% of all US discs sold by the end of the year

Sony to MS: All your base is ours

Impulsivity said:
reask said:
Barozi said:
whatever said:
reask said:
whatever said:
reask said:
megaman2 said:

both are spinning.

I believe VGC.

Most likely MS is using selective numbers like in their E3 presentation.  Remember when they said the 360 was number 1 in the US knowing full well that within days the Wii numbers for June would be out showing the Wii had passed them up?  They almost certainly did the same thing here given that the PS3 only very recently passed up the 360.  They probably used slightly old numbers to make the point they want to make.

we could go on and on why not just beg to differ.

Around the Network
reask said:
Impulsivity said:
reask said:
Barozi said:
whatever said:
reask said:
whatever said:
reask said:
megaman2 said:

both are spinning.
I believe VGC.
http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=Europe&cons2=PS3&reg2=Europe&cons3=X360&reg3=Europe&start=39040&end=39649&weekly=1
Well then belive this
http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=America&cons2=PS3&reg2=America&cons3=X360&reg3=America&start=39040&end=39649&weekly=1
Most likely MS is using selective numbers like in their E3 presentation. Remember when they said the 360 was number 1 in the US knowing full well that within days the Wii numbers for June would be out showing the Wii had passed them up? They almost certainly did the same thing here given that the PS3 only very recently passed up the 360. They probably used slightly old numbers to make the point they want to make.
we could go on and on why not just beg to differ.

I think I might be able to solve the question of why MS claims to still have Europe. I recall hearing somewhere that MS calculates "Europe" sales as a more broad geographical area than what Sony and VGC do. So they could potentially be winning "Europe" according to their definition and not by VGC's. For now.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Barozi said:
whatever said:
reask said:
whatever said:
reask said:
megaman2 said:

both are spinning.

I believe VGC.

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=Europe&cons2=PS3&reg2=Europe&cons3=X360&reg3=Europe&start=39040&end=39649&weekly=1

Well then belive this http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=America&cons2=PS3&reg2=America&cons3=X360&reg3=America&start=39040&end=39649&weekly=1

Yes, because that has a lot to do with the sales in Europe.  Unless you were just pointing out how the 360 is now behind the Wii in NA>

megaman2 said:
reask said:

Speaking to Eurogamer at E3, Xbox boss Don Mattrick reiterated in capital letters his claim that Xbox 360 will win this console generation against PS3.

Eurogamer: In your E3 conference you declared that Xbox 360 will beat PS3 worldwide. You definitely meant worldwide?

Don Mattrick: Yes, absolutely. It gets boring getting asked the same question from different people all the time and there's been a lot of misinformation, so I used the E3 opportunity. We're the first box in this generation to pass 10 million units, we've passed so many thresholds in terms of quality titles. You look at aggregated reviews from around the world - you go onto Metacritic - and count the number of 90-rated titles on our platform, compare that to Wii, compare that to PlayStation 3: there is no comparison.

We know that our third-party partners have a tremendous well of content coming to our platform so there's support. We know that we're driving the majority of their revenue and profit growth. We know that in prior generations, whoever creates that ecosystem where people can scale, can be profitable, can grow, that they tend to win.

The other thing we know is Sony's given guidance and said their goal is to create ten million units this coming year. Needless to say, our aspiration is to do more. "We also know we have a volume lead both in Europe" and North America, and with that volume lead in the aggregate, when you add in Japan, is larger than Sony's.

Thats it then

This is clearly not true, the ps3 has overtaking the 360 in Europe!! (Why does Microsoft lie?)

The company announced that the PS3 has now topped 5 million in sales, overtaking the Xbox 360 which launched a lot earlier and has been consistently cheaper. Maybe there’s something to this Blu-ray lark after all?

A ‘delighted’ David Reeves [pictured], SCEE president and CEO announced:

"I am delighted to be able announce today that we have sold more PlayStation 3's throughout Europe than Xbox 360 - even though they launched sixteen months before PS3.”

http://uk.gizmodo.com/2008/05/07/ps3_overtakes_xbox_360_in_euro.html

Oh yeah thats real great buddy, sourcing Sony to say they've beaten MS.

Whats the difference in believing that from believing MS when they say they're still ahead of Sony?

Stupid fanboy.

Broncos724 said:
Microsoft needs to shut up about their 'first to 10 million' BS. If you align launches they were probably last to 10 million. They might as well start bragging about being the first console to launch this generation, because that's essentially the only reason they got to 10 million first.

What's with the "probably"?  http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

sharky said:
megaman2 said:
reask said:
Speaking to Eurogamer at E3, Xbox boss Don Mattrick reiterated in capital letters his claim that Xbox 360 will win this console generation against PS3.

Eurogamer: In your E3 conference you declared that Xbox 360 will beat PS3 worldwide. You definitely meant worldwide?

Don Mattrick
: Yes, absolutely. It gets boring getting asked the same question from different people all the time and there's been a lot of misinformation, so I used the E3 opportunity. We're the first box in this generation to pass 10 million units, we've passed so many thresholds in terms of quality titles. You look at aggregated reviews from around the world - you go onto Metacritic - and count the number of 90-rated titles on our platform, compare that to Wii, compare that to PlayStation 3: there is no comparison.

We know that our third-party partners have a tremendous well of content coming to our platform so there's support. We know that we're driving the majority of their revenue and profit growth. We know that in prior generations, whoever creates that ecosystem where people can scale, can be profitable, can grow, that they tend to win.

The other thing we know is Sony's given guidance and said their goal is to create ten million units this coming year. Needless to say, our aspiration is to do more. "We also know we have a volume lead both in Europe" and North America, and with that volume lead in the aggregate, when you add in Japan, is larger than Sony's.

Thats it then
This is clearly not true, the ps3 has overtaking the 360 in Europe!! (Why does Microsoft lie?)

The company announced that the PS3 has now topped 5 million in sales, overtaking the Xbox 360 which launched a lot earlier and has been consistently cheaper. Maybe there’s something to this Blu-ray lark after all?

A ‘delighted’ David Reeves [pictured], SCEE president and CEO announced:

"I am delighted to be able announce today that we have sold more PlayStation 3's throughout Europe than Xbox 360 - even though they launched sixteen months before PS3.”

http://uk.gizmodo.com/2008/05/07/ps3_overtakes_xbox_360_in_euro.html
Oh yeah thats real great buddy, sourcing Sony to say they've beaten MS.

Whats the difference in believing that from believing MS when they say they're still ahead of Sony?

Stupid fanboy.

Quite stupid, but only because he failed to cite VGChartz giving the same conclusion ... over a month later.