By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Getting a Powerhouse Gaming PC for $656 –Full Crysis Capability

eab said:
You can't run Crysis on Ultra high with just one 8800. A computer geek that lives by me had dual 8800s with a new quad core and 3gb of RAM. He said he could run it on 'high' but it got choppy at some parts. No way this $660 one here could run it on ultra high with just 1 8800

A.Crysis does respond well to Sli/Xfire

B.Crysis can be run on high or very high with a mix of lower setting depending on your CPU and GPU.

I run it maxed settings on a 8800gt at 960 by 600 resolution. I don't notice aliasing. But then I didn't check what its set at.

Tease.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
eab said:
You can't run Crysis on Ultra high with just one 8800. A computer geek that lives by me had dual 8800s with a new quad core and 3gb of RAM. He said he could run it on 'high' but it got choppy at some parts. No way this $660 one here could run it on ultra high with just 1 8800

B.Crysis can be run on high or very high with a mix of lower setting depending on your CPU and GPU.

I run it maxed settings on a 8800gt at 960 by 600 resolution. I don't notice aliasing. But then I didn't check what its set at.

Since my last post I've installed the game on XP, rather than Vista. With Vista, the game is basically unplayable. With XP + 2.5ghz Athlon 64x2 + OC'd 8800gt, I can run the game at 'ultra' settings (changed the config files to do that in XP) and the framerate hovers around 17fps or so.

Keep in mind though, this is at 1920x1080. With a lower resolution + a single 8800 or SLI 8800's at a higher resolution, the game would probably play very well. Not with multiplayer smoothness, but probably just fine for single player.

Also, ultra settings look gorgeous. I just wish they would've optimized the game a bit more.

Supposedly the Vista issues have been dealt with, but I cannot verify that from personal experience. You may want to Google it.

Dell just recent have a deal on a intel duo core 2.4ghz 2gig ram, 500 gig HD, dvd burn, onbaord sound and videocard. for a fat 309!!!!!! now just add a $200 gpu and a good power supply and you'll be rocking with 550 range!!!!

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/834641

epsilon72 said:
Squilliam said:
eab said:

Since my last post I've installed the game on XP, rather than Vista. With Vista, the game is basically unplayable. With XP + 2.5ghz Athlon 64x2 + OC'd 8800gt, I can run the game at 'ultra' settings (changed the config files to do that in XP) and the framerate hovers around 17fps or so.

Keep in mind though, this is at 1920x1080. With a lower resolution + a single 8800 or SLI 8800's at a higher resolution, the game would probably play very well. Not with multiplayer smoothness, but probably just fine for single player.

Also, ultra settings look gorgeous. I just wish they would've optimized the game a bit more.

DX9 vs DX10

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
epsilon72 said:
Squilliam said:
eab said:

DX9 vs DX10

DX9 vs. DX10?  Are you referring to the performance difference between the two? 

From what I've read, DX10 does virtually nothing for gaming, but it does help the 3D desktop eye candy catch up to what has been available to linux users for years. 

Misleading thread title, this is for americans only.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

ameratsu said:
Misleading thread title, this is for americans only.

Not intentionally. Although I don't know the pricing structure everywhere,; isn't the basic home/business  box with a good CPU but not enough memory and integrated video fairly universal. The principal is to find the cheapest of these you can, fill up the RAM get high performance a video card like the GeForce 8800 GT and end up with a great gaming computer at a very reasonable price.Alternatively, if you get a commercial "gaming computer" you may well pay a good bit more and stil end up with too little RAM and a mid-range video card like the GeForce 8500.

I will stick to console gaming. Console gaming is cheaper and I prefer sitting in my lounge chair in front of my 50 inch Sony Plasma 1080p HDTV. Of what I heard, Crysis is an average shooter but with high end visuals. PS3 is more fun than PC gaming. PS3 exclusives will be more of what I like in games. I can not stand RTS shooters on PC.

A high end PC gaming platform would cost like $1200 US to play Crysis and Far Cry 2 on high end resolution settings. You need 2 * 8800GTX 512MB each graphics cards to run it on high end resolutions along with 4GB system RAM, quad core 5400e processors.