By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 27, 2024 (Jul 01 - Jul 07)

I can remember Sony disclosing the most played games per region. If I remember correctly for Japan they where all GAAS games. I think for Japan the top three was Genshin, Apex and Fortnite, if I remember correctly. All 3 are non Japanese games.

Famitsu only shows physical. We need to consider non Japanese publishers actually offering physical in Japan and if so, how many copies are shipped in the first place.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

Let me ask you question if nintendo best games weren't selling great in the US would you find it sad? Of course you would, I think i have the right to say they should broaden their gaming tastes cause all they do is buy the same games and franchises. It's not even about realistic AAA games, Resident evil 4 remake is not realistic, SF6 was a flop there as well, elden ring sold 25 million WW and only sold only 1 million in japan, i just feel like they should expand their gaming tastes.

I accept that other people are allowed to have different tastes to me. I'm cool with the UK not really caring for Nintendo for instance.

Again, selling 1 million or even 300-500k is actually good sales for a single country.

As for Japan only buying the same games and franchises, if you look at the highest selling games in America or Europe you'll also find mostly the same few big games and franchises dominating.

Yea but the US tends to be very open to actually trying new type of games. You can release some of the most  mind blowing games in japan like halo/metroid prime and it would still bomb because they are fps. There is no really catering to a audience in the US as long it's a quality game with good advertisement it will do great.

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

I accept that other people are allowed to have different tastes to me. I'm cool with the UK not really caring for Nintendo for instance.

Again, selling 1 million or even 300-500k is actually good sales for a single country.

As for Japan only buying the same games and franchises, if you look at the highest selling games in America or Europe you'll also find mostly the same few big games and franchises dominating.

Yea but the US tends to be very open to actually trying new type of games. You can release some of the most  mind blowing games in japan like halo/metroid prime and it would still bomb because they are fps. There is no really catering to a audience in the US as long it's a quality game with good advertisement it will do great.

Everyone has their own standard for what is "quality" though. Plenty of games I consider to be excellent flopped in the West; Okami, Bayonetta, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Spec Ops: The Line, No More Heroes, Fatal Frame...

At the end of the day, everyone's tastes are different.

Tober said:

. I think for Japan the top three was Genshin, Apex and Fortnite, if I remember correctly. All 3 are non Japanese games.

So Japanese gaming market is indeed looking sad

I remember when Nintendo released their report years ago about profit from their mobile games, Japan brings a lot of money to mobile games, specially Fire Emblem Heroes. Contrary to popular opinion, they seem to be quite found of live as service games as well. They just do it more on mobile games rather than console games I guess...

Zeldaring has a point when saying Japanese devs are looking elsewhere because Japan is not cutting it anymore. Final Fantasy aside, many JP devs have shown steady growth everywhere but Japan. Atlus, Capcom, even Square. Japan seems to be down to one game of other eventually, like they did with Momotaro, but overall third party sales on consoles are in a historical low.

Hopefully the numbers on PC are enough to offset their decline on console spaces. I wish devs released more regional breakdowns. Elden Ring crossed 1 million after a few months of launch while the physical sales were only 400k. There are chances PC versions of multiplat games are outselling their Playstation versions this gen 

Maybe Capcom can give us some light after Monster Hunter launch

Asia has different social foundations, same with religion and history, so is hard to make them interest in themes that are so different and sometimes go against what define them in their society, the thing is Japan is a big market and of course companies want to enter.

Companies like SquareEnix,Frownsoft, Capcom, Konami, has evolve to target those places but in Japan has lost interest cause of that change.

Is really hard to make a balance when the difference in the mind of the ppl are so deep in their own persona, that you see great games outside Japan sells really well but in Japan dont last even a week. Look how Metroid is very well known outside Japan but in Japan nobody cares, thats why ppl call Metroid a western game.

Around the Network
Argosv said:

Asia has different social foundations, same with religion and history, so is hard to make them interest in themes that are so different and sometimes go against what define them in their society, the thing is Japan is a big market and of course companies want to enter.

Companies like SquareEnix,Frownsoft, Capcom, Konami, has evolve to target those places but in Japan has lost interest cause of that change.

Is really hard to make a balance when the difference in the mind of the ppl are so deep in their own persona, that you see great games outside Japan sells really well but in Japan dont last even a week. Look how Metroid is very well known outside Japan but in Japan nobody cares, thats why ppl call Metroid a western game.

The thing is they are losing interest in their own games. Has Resident Evil changed its themes and design so much to appeal to the West? I don't think so, yet Japan barely cares for them anymore and they used to be HUGE in Japan 

I believe the changes in Japan market are more of a demographic thing. In the past consoles were mostly stationary, it was the only way to play games and people who played were younger and open to different genres, gameplay elements, design philosophy, and worldbuilding, nobody really cared if the game looked western or not. Gaming was something more strictly single-played focused as well

The change in demographics changed market dynamics in Japan. Things that used to work in the 90s won't work anymore. And that's ok I guess, as long japanese devs keep having their market share outside Japan I'm fine with Japanese people dissing their own good games 

They don't diss their own games because Nintendo games are their games lol. It's not their fault the games you want them to purchase don't release on the console they want to purchase. Playstation fans love dodging accountability, it's always everybody else's fault. If Nintendo games do poorly in the US, we don't call the market sad or even blame it. We always blame Nintendo but with Playstation it's always something else, it just can't be the console. The issue is Playstation, not the market or Japan's taste, it's Playstation failing to deliver a diserable platform.

Phenomajp13 said:

They don't diss their own games because Nintendo games are their games lol. It's not their fault the games you want them to purchase don't release on the console they want to purchase. Playstation fans love dodging accountability, it's always everybody else's fault. If Nintendo games do poorly in the US, we don't call the market sad or even blame it. We always blame Nintendo but with Playstation it's always something else, it just can't be the console. The issue is Playstation, not the market or Japan's taste, it's Playstation failing to deliver a diserable platform.

You are making this in fanboy war. No one is even talking about Playstation  here.  it's whole industry aside from Nintendo that's struggling in Japan. Let's see if switch 2 can get more interest in 3rd party games in including Japanese developers.  Nintendo games have never done poorly in the US lol.

Phenomajp13 said:

Who's even talking about Playstation games here? 

curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

Everyone has their own standard for what is "quality" though. Plenty of games I consider to be excellent flopped in the West; Okami, Bayonetta, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Spec Ops: The Line, No More Heroes, Fatal Frame...

At the end of the day, everyone's tastes are different.

For the most part those games weren't even huge success in Japan, so you can't really blame the US. When even in Japan their intended audience didn't even go crazy for it. I think for the most part these days a massive success in Japan will be a massive success ww as well.

We are talking some of the best games ever candidates and they hardly move the needle. Resident evil 4 remake considered to a remake of one the best games ever and a amazing remake not lighting at the charts at all, same with elden ring many consider one best game ever. Witcher 3 as well, the list goes On, with many genres.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 13 July 2024