By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Direct, June 18, 2024, 10 AM EST

How would you rate this Nintendo Direct?

10 18 25.71%

9 28 40.00%

8 15 21.43%

7 6 8.57%

6 2 2.86%

5 0 0%

4 1 1.43%

3 0 0%

2 0 0%

1 0 0%

Total:70
Soundwave said:

Very clearly Nintendo keeping anything that could be a 10+ million seller for Switch 2 at this point.

Playable Zelda is neat, but I dunno if that game is more than a 4-5 million unit seller, also not really sold on that gameplay mechanic.

Felt like they didn't want to make a game where Zelda fights anyone directly, lol. 

Yeah that is my worry about it. I guess there is no actual fighting? It looks really cool, except if there is no fighting that means all the action is going to be passive, which would be a huge letdown. If there's no fighting that's gonna be a no from me. This game but with fighting included so it's not all just passive would be brilliant.

Around the Network

As someone who was in high school when the Wii and DS were on the way out and a year away from graduating college when Switch launched, it's so nice that Switch is going out with way more grace than Wii and Wii U.
3DS actually got some notable support leading up to Switch and even after. DS even had B&W 2, Kirby Mass Attack, etc.
Other than my pipe dream of GameCube and Wii games on NSO, this was not disappointing at all. In fact, the Direct surpassed my expectations.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I kind of assume the S2 will be BC, given the Switch is getting some quality titles. Feels like Nintendo is going for a smooth transition. Especially if some games, like prime 4, will be cross gen.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Great Direct. Mario and Luigi was a fantastic opener for the show and Metroid Prime 4 was just what I expected as the closer, even though I knew it wouldn’t come this year. The Zelda protagonist game turned out to be true and it looks great and the Marvel vs Capcom collection is something I’ve always wanted/predicted. The addition of Perfect Dark online was right on queue and just so many other games that may not be for me, but reflect the continued support that Switch deserves in its golden years.

I was disappointed that there was no new Punch Out game or F-Zero GX Remaster, but the biggest offender was no new Donkey Kong, but instead, just another release of the entry that I don’t care for as much.  I won’t be buying Returns HD, but at least now there will be a console version that doesn’t play like crap, so there’s that I guess.

Still, I rated the Direct a 9 overall, based on what we could reasonably expect and because so much of what was shown is coming this year; the combo of Echoes/Jamboree/Brothership coming each of the final months will go over very well for the holidays and I still think that Switch is getting some kind of price reduction, or at the very least, a free game download of your choice upon purchase - though that sweet Zelda Lite won’t hurt sales.

Also, I believe that Prime 4 is launching well into next year to coincide with a Switch 2 release, so that leaves DKCR (January 16) and maybe Pokemon Legends Z-A for fiscal Q4? That should be enough to get Switch to Nintendo’s 13.5m projection.

Last edited by archbrix - on 18 June 2024

Pretty much couldn't ask for a better end to the Switch as a platform.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

Wow, didn't expect that for an "end-of-life" direct. This was the strongest direct in a very, very long time.

The 2D Zelda game was a big surprise. I figured if there ever would be a game where you play as Zelda herself, it would be a spinoff, but they have given it the "The Legend of Zelda" name, so I guess it then counts as mainline. The main mechanic seems interesting, and I'm glad they took the Link's Awakening remake style for another go. Mario Party looks good, and finally Metroid Prime 4. Also, I thought the Nintendo World Championship game would just be a port of the original NES one, which would have been quite lame, but it's actually something new incorporating challenges from all kinds of NES games. All-in-all, solid 9/10 Direct I'd say.

Absolute slam dunk of a Direct. 9/10!

So many titles I've just added for the year. Mario & Luigi and Zelda look fantastic. The gameplay twist with Zelda's abilities look incredibly fun and creative. Marvel vs Capcom collection is one I've been waiting for, praying for an Asia physical edition. Then a solid finish with the first gameplay footage of what more than likely will be the swan song title from Nintendo for the Switch in Metroid Prime 4.

The Switch continue to bulldoze its way through this generation. I couldn't be happier.

Hope they are saving Rhythm Heaven and Tomodachi for September direct

znake said:

Hope they are saving Rhythm Heaven and Tomodachi for September direct

Assuming we're getting another Direct in September.

What a phenomenal Direct. You wouldn't know the system is in its eighth year just by watching this. Holy smokes. Night and day difference from the dying Nintendo systems of old.

1doesnotsimply