By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Direct, June 18, 2024, 10 AM EST

How would you rate this Nintendo Direct?

10 18 25.35%

9 29 40.85%

8 15 21.13%

7 6 8.45%

6 2 2.82%

5 0 0%

4 1 1.41%

3 0 0%

2 0 0%

1 0 0%

Total:71

I think the highlight of the Direct for me was the name 'Super Mario Party Jamboree' (lol)

I sort of considered Mario & Luigi as a joke before the show because we just got Mario RPG Remake and a Paper Mario Remake and then they actually went and did it!

Echoes of Wisdom feels like the TotK of 2D Zelda mechanically which is interesting. Also asset reusing actually. Missed opportunity to call it Legend of Link though.

Also glad they finally added Zero Mission to NSO (and Perfect Dark), I've been sort of waiting for the GBA and N64 catelogs to get good enough to subscribe and I think it's finally time.

And then Prime 4... I had predicted we would see it this year and glad I was right. I'm not even the biggest Prime fan but still super interested to see how a new Prime game turns out in 2025.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Felt like they didn't want to make a game where Zelda fights anyone directly, lol. 

*insert Smash Bros. Zelda lightning kick*

But then again, even plants get to fight in that game.

Last edited by UnderwaterFunktown - on 18 June 2024

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Did the graphics on a few games look better than most Switch games? Have to wonder if some of these games are going to be cross gen/have Switch 2 bumps.

10/10

Loved all the announcements, lot of great new games announced.

h2ohno said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Basically how the Switch is going out.

And here I had forgotten the reports that a remaster of F-Zero GX would be in the direct.

It was from Zippo, so there was a guarantee it was wrong. *Super Missiles Zippo in the face then needs to get a mop*

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Very clearly Nintendo keeping anything that could be a 10+ million seller for Switch 2 at this point.

Playable Zelda is neat, but I dunno if that game is more than a 4-5 million unit seller, also not really sold on that gameplay mechanic.

Felt like they didn't want to make a game where Zelda fights anyone directly, lol. 

I agree that there wasn't anything here that will move hardware like Mario or Zelda did last year.  However, I do think the new Mario Party will likely sell 10M+.  Metroid Prime 4 has a decent chance at 10M+ if it's good enough since several Switch sequels have set new sales records compared to earlier entries.  I agree that this new Zelda game will probably sell more like 4-5 million though.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Soundwave said:

Very clearly Nintendo keeping anything that could be a 10+ million seller for Switch 2 at this point.

Playable Zelda is neat, but I dunno if that game is more than a 4-5 million unit seller, also not really sold on that gameplay mechanic.

I agree that there wasn't anything here that will move hardware like Mario or Zelda did last year.  However, I do think the new Mario Party will likely sell 10M+.  Metroid Prime 4 has a decent chance at 10M+ if it's good enough since several Switch sequels have set new sales records compared to earlier entries.  I agree that this new Zelda game will probably sell more like 4-5 million though.

Yeah Mario Party maybe, but Prime has no chance at 10 mill I think. If Prime 4 can sell 5 million, think that'd be a fairly good win for the franchise, if its cross-gen it might get a bit of a boost being in the Switch 2's launch window. 

Honestly think 4-5 million might be high for that Zelda game too, maybe more like 3-4 million. The gameplay does look I dunno ... it screams "spin-off!" more than I expected a Zelda game starring Zelda to be. 

Prime 4's sales potential likely depends on what else is in the Switch 2 launch lineup. If there's a new 3D Mario or Mario Kart 9 at launch, Prime 4 will struggle to sell more than 5 million. If it has a month or so as the biggest launch game like how BOTW had a while before MK8Deluxe came out, 10 million is doable.

Echoes of Wisdom will likely be the lowest-selling Zelda on Switch by virtue of coming out so late in the lifecycle and being slightly more niche than other Zeldas.

h2ohno said:

Prime 4's sales potential likely depends on what else is in the Switch 2 launch lineup. If there's a new 3D Mario or Mario Kart 9 at launch, Prime 4 will struggle to sell more than 5 million. If it has a month or so as the biggest launch game like how BOTW had a while before MK8Deluxe came out, 10 million is doable.

Echoes of Wisdom will likely be the lowest-selling Zelda on Switch by virtue of coming out so late in the lifecycle and being slightly more niche than other Zeldas.

Asking Prime 5 to sell more than 5 million was always a huge ask, no Metroid game has come close to 5 million, if Prime 4 can get there that would be a huge success for the IP. 

Zelda: EoW I'll put at maybe 4 million LTD.

Soundwave said:
h2ohno said:

Asking Prime 5 to sell more than 5 million was always a huge ask, no Metroid game has come close to 5 million, if Prime 4 can get there that would be a huge success for the IP. 

Zelda: EoW I'll put at maybe 4 million LTD.

Nintendo doesn't need system sellers this late in the Switch's life (it's still selling well), Selling 4 million units is going to make some nice profits for Nintendo on some of these games.