By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Best "second party" Nintendo game

Which do you think is the better game?

Banjo Kazooie 10 50.00%

Goldeneye 007 10 50.00%

Total:20

A couple weeks back when I did the "Best Nintendo game" thread, it struck me that by limiting it to only games developed by Nintendo internally, a lot of beloved games were excluded.

As such, I thought it might be fun to do a second thread specifically about those games that were left out last time; titles published by Nintendo but developed primarily by an external partner, games like Kirby, Pokémon, Fire Emblem, Rare's games, Astral Chain, Bayonetta 2 and 3, Metroid Dread, etc.

The rules will be the same as last time:

• One nomination per person
  • The nominations with the most likes/agrees will be used as poll options
  • 48 hours for each phase, nominations and voting

What's your pick, and please explain why you think it deserves the top spot?

Around the Network

My favorite recent one would have to Kirby and the Forgotten Land. I've had hundreds of hours of fun with it, playing with my 5yo. It is very accesssible, but provides significant challenge in enough spots to feel like you've accomplished something. It is a big step forward for the Kirby franchise. It is also huge, considering the genre. And, most important of all, it is just super fun.

I have more time in it than any other Switch game, including TotK, which I loved, and MK8, which is infinitely replayable.  

Eternal Darkness: Sanitys Requiem

One of my favorite games of all time. Great story, atmosphere and gameplay. Just such an unique experience. Play as 12 different characters across more than 2000 years. And of course the sanity effects that mess with you the player directly.

Advance Wars! One of the best strategy games ever.

I would also say Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader but I’m not sure if that counts since it’s a licensed game and was published by LucasArts, but it’s always been a Nintendo exclusive series.

G2ThaUNiT said:

Advance Wars! One of the best strategy games ever.

I would also say Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader but I’m not sure if that counts since it’s a licensed game and was published by LucasArts, but it’s always been a Nintendo exclusive series.

Yeah I think as a non-Nintendo-published game it wouldn't count for this particular thread.

Around the Network

Banjo-Kazooie, for me. An inventive, joyful, and polished 3D platformer that can go head-to-head with Nintendo’s best.

Sin and Punishment Star Successor. It's the best game ever made in its genre. A Nintendo-published game beat SEGA in the genre SEGA invented of Space Harrier. Star Successor is pure brilliance in every way. Sin is a Nintendo IP but developed by Treasure.

Last edited by Leynos - on 16 June 2024

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Veknoid_Outcast said:

Banjo-Kazooie, for me. An inventive, joyful, and polished 3D platformer that can go head-to-head with Nintendo’s best.

This.  Banjo is still the best platform game ever made, imo.  The hub world was a level in itself.  The collectibles actually matter, all of them played a real role in the game.  Even the chatter mattered via the gameshow section.  

I want a Banjo Remake so bad.  Never going to happen I suppose.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Goldeneye

Still the best FPS ever in my book and thanks to the release on the Switch and the glorious N64 controller, I still play that game even today!

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Banks Kazooie with golden eye getting a honorable mention.