By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts May 2024 Discussion Thread

By the way, this is the first I've heard of VGC using Circana's numbers.
Are you buying them?

Around the Network
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

No, in fact, you know yourself that the VGC's January numbers were wrong because they were later corrected.

Dude, how many times does he have to explain that the numbers are always estimates (obviously the initial numbers are going to be wrong) and are then adjusted as additional information comes in? And this is how it's been handled for years now. This is becoming painful to watch lol

You don't have to look.
I'm tired too.

Well I don't like VGC's (William) feeble excuse that this is only an estimate.

They are selling this.

Well, I hope you can answer this one and I think you are obligated to do so, but does VGC purchase NPD Circana figures?

Around the Network
G2ThaUNiT said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

No, in fact, you know yourself that the VGC's January numbers were wrong because they were later corrected.

Dude, how many times does he have to explain that the numbers are always estimates (obviously the initial numbers are going to be wrong) and are then adjusted as additional information comes in? And this is how it's been handled for years now. This is becoming painful to watch lol

Yeah this. Our initial worldwide estimates tend to be within 10% of the actual sales. 

As far as using Circana (NPD) our methodology page has mentioned for years about using them as a way to make our estimates more accurate.

"On the hardware front we continue to produce weekly estimates, based on retail sampling and trends in individual countries, which are then extrapolated to represent the wider region. This typically allows us to produce figures that end up being within 10% of the actual totals.

"This data is regularly compared against official shipment figures released by the console manufacturers and figures estimated by regional trackers with greater market coverage than ourselves (such as Famitsu in Japan or NPD in North America). We then update our own estimates to bring them into line with those figures. This can result in frequent changes often within a short space of time, but we feel it's important to prioritise accuracy over consistency."

https://www.vgchartz.com/methodology.php

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

NPD/Circana to get US estimates, which is then used alongside historical data to extrapolate to get Canada and Latin America estimates.

Trunks, you said this.
If Vgchartz is getting Circana's figures right, it is no longer an estimate.

Does Vgchartz get Circana?

Maybe Trunks was referring to Mat Piscatella, not Circana🤷‍♂️

The Circana data we use is what is publicly available via Mat Piscatella on Twitter. He works for Circana. He doesn't provide exact figures. It is enough data to come up with the US estimates, along with using historical figures. We don't have anywhere near the amount of money to be able to afford the full report. Our estimates are available for free for everyone to look at. 

Edit: The data Mat provides includes the total hardware revenue, the order of the main consoles by units sold and dollar sales, and sometimes a percent of how much they are up/down YoY and how the PS5 and XS are doing compared to the PS4 and X1. 

Last edited by trunkswd - on 17 June 2024

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Uh, trunks.
Please refrain from using confusing terms.

Matt is a guy who doesn't talk hardware numbers. He's not going to be very helpful.